Continuing Study In Thailand

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Bachelors from the OU is as valid as any other Bachelors.

Take a look around the teaching subforum for more info, it's all there already!

Don't the fees for the OU change if you don't live in the country of origin?

Australian Open University's charge you the same fee no matter where you are in the world, as long as your an Aussie citizen. Well, that's what their website says after having a quick look.

Yes OU degrees are as good as most uni degrees. 20,000 Aus Dollars seems well steep though.

My 1st honours degree with OU cost just over £3500. It tends to be about £550 per 60 credits, 360 credits for an honours, 300 for an open degree.

Good luck to him though !

• 2 months later...

Yeah, I've been reading about the intl universities here... The programs at Mahidol, Thammasat, Chula, etc.

Are they any good? Do the teachers effectively communicate in English? Are the programs worth the money?

Yeah, I've been reading about the intl universities here... The programs at Mahidol, Thammasat, Chula, etc.

Are they any good? Do the teachers effectively communicate in English? Are the programs worth the money?

It's what you make of it! You could involve foreign universities in your research.

You could spend your money on nightlife, a bike, clothes but maybe you should opt for education.

Market yourself and it will be worth your money!

Sure they do speak english.. c'mon this is not a jungle. hahaha... I'm at Bangkok University, and the international school is good, I got quiet big number of foreign educators. Student are quiet shy in general but oh well, as KireB said, It's what you make of it...

this is the webpage : www.bu.ac.th/english

There are many decent "International" programs out there, most often taught by western teachers affiliated with or coming from western universities, and with a large percentage of western students.

At Mahidol, Siam, Chula etc ...

What are you looking for? Most choice is in the Business area, International MBA and such.

There are many different types of programs, full-time, executive, evening and weekend etc...

Some programs offer a double degree together with a western University for those who worry about the reputation of having a 'Thai' degree.

It is best to go down to the different universities yourself, take a look around, talk to students and professors.

I think the Uni's with the 'best reputation' in Thailand are not necessarily the best place to study. Often you find the same professors teaching exactly the same program in some of the less reputed universities, in smaller classes, where you might get more out of it (if you are in it for the knowledge).

The content and quality on many (but not all) of the international programs is comparable with what you would get in Europe/Us.

There are pro's and con's to studying in Thailand, everybody has to decide this for him/herself.

Some people argue the degree will be worth less since you study in "a third world country" and will not be taken seriously. Thats only partially true, it depends on what you make of it, on how you can sell yourself later, what sector and part of the world you plan to work. You could also argue not everybody has the guts and courage to go study at the other side of the globe. You do get a different experience studying in another culture.

The bottom line I think is, it depends on yourself. If you are eager to learn, and ready for a crosscultural experience, studying in Thailand might be right for you.

If you plan to work in Thailand after graduating, studying in Thailand helps as there is quite a 'networking' effect, and getting a good job here is often related to 'knowing people'.