Continuing Study In Thailand

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

certainly if it is the world of publishing papers and so on, then Thailand is going to be far behind many other universities who fill the journals with academic research, so you are giving up on that.

Have to disagree with this. I teach a graduate Physics course for Masters and PhD candidates. The PhD candidates are required to have a minimum of 2 publications in qualified international journals (that is top tier scientific journals) but often are asked to do three.

I had only 3 publications in 15 years at a major university in the US but have been published 20 times since working at CMU. These are always joint publications with the students name as one of the authors to satisfy their requirements and I would say we have a few hundred publications from our research facility alone. In one case I was the sole author of a major publication but the student's name was added as co-author as it was his research project.

Of course I am in a unique position and work on all research projects here and as such involved in the publication process of each project.

Regarding the language used in thesis, for Physics PhD - English is required, as for Masters - it is at the discretion of the student and advisor with emphasis placed on being in English.

http://www.webometrics.info/top100_contine...p-cont=asia.htm

or

webometric ranking

They don't say who has an English language International program but the schools I listed all do.

Its up to you whether or not you accept their ranking criteria that they use to compile the list.

Thank you for your help. :o

certainly if it is the world of publishing papers and so on, then Thailand is going to be far behind many other universities who fill the journals with academic research, so you are giving up on that.

Have to disagree with this. I teach a graduate Physics course for Masters and PhD candidates. The PhD candidates are required to have a minimum of 2 publications in qualified international journals (that is top tier scientific journals) but often are asked to do three.

I had only 3 publications in 15 years at a major university in the US but have been published 20 times since working at CMU. These are always joint publications with the students name as one of the authors to satisfy their requirements and I would say we have a few hundred publications from our research facility alone. In one case I was the sole author of a major publication but the student's name was added as co-author as it was his research project.

Of course I am in a unique position and work on all research projects here and as such involved in the publication process of each project.

Regarding the language used in thesis, for Physics PhD - English is required, as for Masters - it is at the discretion of the student and advisor with emphasis placed on being in English.

Do you happen to know about any other branches of study?

The VA in the US has approved the below schools for the GI BILL in the past for both Bachelors and Masters programs:

Chula

Thammasat

BUIC

Assumption

I assume they wouldn't have approved them if their accreditation wasn't up to some accepted standard.

However they have never approved Webster in Hua Hin/Cha' am.

• 1 month later...

Hey there, I was wondering if anyone else here was a foreign student learning at one of the several "International Universities" in Thailand. I was wondering how they liked it and what to expect. I would have posted this in teaching in Thailand, but it didnt seem right due to the fact that section is for teaching english in Thailand as oppose to learning at one of the Universities.

So far Im looking at attending Bangkok University some time next year, using my GI Bill to help pay for school. Which should bring me in roughly 1600$USD a month for my education.

Any inputs or thoughts on this subject would be greatly appriciated.

Bangkok University is a Private University - It does not have a good academic reputation and as a general rule qualifications from Private Universities in Thailand are considered second rate.

My employers do not accept graduates from Bangkok University and I know this to be true of many of our Thai client companies.

Bangkok University is a Private University - It does not have a good academic reputation and as a general rule qualifications from Private Universities in Thailand are considered second rate.

My employers do not accept graduates from Bangkok University and I know this to be true of many of our Thai client companies.

Thanks for the insight, this would be the first Ive heard about Bang U not having a good rep. Any suggestions for other institutes of higher learning? I want to make the right choice, and would love more input on this subject.

Ive been looking through some of the schools listed here...

http://www.internationaleducationmedia.com...niversities.htm

If you are looking to gain grand academic insight as to compose a grand master thesis on academia, philosophical, niddle twinks in the ozone law of tittle macromedia....

Than don't study in Thailand!

I studied at Bangkok University for 2++years, while the material/academics weren't as challenging/motivating as say a top notch Uni in the west....it was nice to have so much Black and White Eye candy to stare at and mingle with all day...

Unless your a complete dud, it's pretty simple to pull a 3.5-4.0 GPA at BUIC...just using common sense and giving in to the system..

You might find some things reduntant (like the mandatory Study Skills class---which teaches you how to use a card catalog, and list names alphabetically, etc. etc.) but anyhow, that's one of the trade offs...

Tuition for you will be between 20-40,000 baht per semester depending how many classes you take...In other words, you'll be quite comfortable thanks to Uncle Sam! Won't even be necessary for you to work with that exta help...You can get yourself a bad ass babe lair right near university...

What I remember most from my years at BUIC was

PARTY PARTY PARTY

:o:D:D:D

I wouldn't classify any of the universities in Thailand as being an international university. When I think of international universities 9of calibre), I think of RMIT in Saigon or maybe Monash in South Africa or Malaysia.

And what exactly is your definition of International University skylar?

Have you studied at an International University in Thailand, and if so, which one(s)?

In my oppinion, BUIC was quite 'inter'

I had classmates from Nigeria to Norway, Iceland, Burma, Bhutan, France, Columbian, Mexican, American, German, Japanese, and Chinese...Pretty dynamic make up of backgrounds if you ask me...

Before you get too far along into all this, iamrare...

you might want to contact the V.A. to find out which universities in Thailand have been certified to receive G.I. Bill disbursements.. :o

I had read an article on www.escapeartist.com (http://www.escapeartist.com/efam13/Bangkok.html to be exact) talking about studying abroad in Thailand, the author was ex military and attended Bangkok University using his GI Bill to get his masters.

I contacted the VA about this, and await their final answer. Though some of my superiors have had colleges or heard about former military attending school in Thailand because of the exchange rate, and impact the American dollar has over there.

More bang for the buck... no pun intended.

Before you get too far along into all this, iamrare...

you might want to contact the V.A. to find out which universities in Thailand have been certified to receive G.I. Bill disbursements.. :o

I had read an article on www.escapeartist.com (http://www.escapeartist.com/efam13/Bangkok.html to be exact) talking about studying abroad in Thailand, the author was ex military and attended Bangkok University using his GI Bill to get his masters.

I contacted the VA about this, and await their final answer. Though some of my superiors have had colleges or heard about former military attending school in Thailand because of the exchange rate, and impact the American dollar has over there.

More bang for the buck... no pun intended.

Good idea to wait and see what they say in response. The approved schools list is constantly changing.

And what exactly is your definition of International University skylar?

Have you studied at an International University in Thailand, and if so, which one(s)?

In my oppinion, BUIC was quite 'inter'

I had classmates from Nigeria to Norway, Iceland, Burma, Bhutan, France, Columbian, Mexican, American, German, Japanese, and Chinese...Pretty dynamic make up of backgrounds if you ask me...

Most metropolitan universities in Australia have a diverse mix of cultures too. I was thinking more of international standard. BU is not of international standard. If you graduate from Chula or Thammasat, you can do post grad studies in the UK and Australia. That to me is 'international standard'. I would not study at any other university in Thailand bar these two, and intend to do so in the next couple of years.

BU is not of international standard. If you graduate from Chula or Thammasat, you can do post grad studies in the UK and Australia. That to me is 'international standard'.

I would have my doubts about the overall quality of a BU education but I know personally BU graduates who have done post grad studies in the UK and US.

You should look at RMIT in Saigon. I manage a degree program here and I think you will get a very good education, at least as good as many universities in the States. And the price is right, relatively. If you have any questions you can contact me directly. Just send an email or PM and we can go from there. We'll also be over in Bangkok shortly, recruiting both students and staff. Watch the Bangkok Post!

www.rmit.edu.vn

You should look at RMIT in Saigon. I manage a degree program here and I think you will get a very good education, at least as good as many universities in the States. And the price is right, relatively. If you have any questions you can contact me directly. Just send an email or PM and we can go from there. We'll also be over in Bangkok shortly, recruiting both students and staff. Watch the Bangkok Post!

www.rmit.edu.vn

Going to RMIT would make my family proud, due to the fact that I am of Vietnamese decent. And RMIT is still a possibility. Though truthfully one of my vices is Muay Thai, thus makes Thailand even more so enticing for me. Plus Im worried about the standards at RMIT. I am but just a lowly electronics tech on Uncle Sams payroll. And it has been years since I've sat in a true "classroom".

I think more importantly are the Schools in Thailand recognized internationaly . In other words if you have that degree is it from an acredited college recognized all over the wrold? This being the case if they are acredited and it is a internationaly recognized degree,, just IMHO , then just go where you think you will have the most fun. As unless intending to do brain surgery or something life is to short fellers and ladies. There are lots of people who study to get degrees that arent worth shit, and for the most part if you are going to be going into a field that requires someone with talent than it will be your work that is judged in some form and not your degree. If not and the company is so uptight, and lots are , they dont care and at first sign of trouble you will be out on street anyway.

I would be curious to know if these schools in thailand are acredited, and if they are then go for it is my opinion,, as what is an education without a great experience.

:o

Hey there, I was wondering if anyone else here was a foreign student learning at one of the several "International Universities" in Thailand. I was wondering how they liked it and what to expect. I would have posted this in teaching in Thailand, but it didnt seem right due to the fact that section is for teaching english in Thailand as oppose to learning at one of the Universities.

So far Im looking at attending Bangkok University some time next year, using my GI Bill to help pay for school. Which should bring me in roughly 1600$USD a month for my education.

"The university is fully accredited and its credits are accepted by universities

around the world. Yes it is "legit." I have made degree independently verified as

being the equivalent to an America degree and therefore I met the requirement to

apply for jobs with the US Government. So, officially there is no difference

between a degree from Bangkok University and one in the USA."

An excerpt out of an email from a former sailor who is now an instructor at Bangkok University.

I have also seen transcripts from Ubonratchathani University (which i believe is government ran, not private) to Kansas state, where they accepted all the students credits with the exception for a few obscure classes.

I agree about the experience counting and having fun. In my career so far I have been forced to grow up faster than my friends back home, Ive watched them party and live the trial and tribulations of college life. Attending school abroad could be my last hurrah before comming home back to the states and settling down.

Thanks for all the input so far.

I would have my doubts about the overall quality of a BU education but I know personally BU graduates who have done post grad studies in the UK and US.

I should have clarified myself - I suppose it depends on the type of uni you can get into and/or what you are after. I went to Sydney, and there's a lot of postgrad students from Thailand; however the only unis they seem to be from are Chula and Thammasat. I'm sure there are exceptions. Maybe if I knew Thai students from ACU, UWS, UTS, Macquarie, Deakin, La Trobe or Victoria University I'd get different answers... I seriously don't think a BU grad would be able to get into Warwick, Oxbridge, University of London etc... or any of the Ivy League.

So if BU is the one you've got the marks for, then by all means go. It's just that if you're wanting a uni with a good reputation, it's not the best place to be.

Please take into account that representatives of universities are not the best people to ask about these sorts of things as they have a vested interest - I don't want to cause offence to the American ex-sailor or to legaleagle - but it is important that you are able to do what you want to do with your degree. Check everything out yourself before making a commitment.

If you're interested in science, engineering, or management technology, you might consider SIIT (Sirindhorn International Institute of Technology) which is a semi-private institute inside Thammasat University. TU has a good repuation in Thailand, and SIIT has good faculty (about 40% foreign). The student body is mostly Thai but there is a contingent of foreigners. I used to teach there and can put you in touch with some foreign alumni.

SIIT is on TU's Rangsit campus, so is close to the Muay Thai Institute. My wife and I study there; it's got a nice mix of foreigners and Thai people, professionals, amateurs, and normal working folk.

http://www.siit.tu.ac.th

http://www.muaythai-institute.net/Html/main.htm

Matt

Well, I got the offical word from the VA,

Bangkok University is approved by the VA for MGIB benifits.

Okay, fine, if that's what you want. I went to many VA-approved schools in the USA, but when I presented my transcripts to a deputy under-assistant registrar at Univ.Texas-San Antonio (not a top-ranked school, even in Texas), she sneered at my transcripts from South Oklahoma City Junior College and Oscar Rose Junior College. I think she even chuckled. So, it depends.

Don't know about VA-approval or the foreign student population but I've had many students who were Chiang Mai University grads & went on to do graduate studies at major unis in the UK, Australia & NZ. None wanted to go to the USA - it takes longer to get an MA there!

• 4 weeks later...

At the risk of appearing to go off tangent:

I'm wanting to explore the idea of studying for a Masters in Bangkok (if you're really interested - something broadly along the lines of 'urban development'. Which I'm already begining to feel is a bit esoteric). I'm based in London, UK, but am thinking there might be something available online and/or distance learning; also involving occasionally concentrated study periods in BKK. I'm not concerned about the international standing of the qualification as such (I'm too old for that!).

Can anyone enlighten me as to whether my fantasy is just that: A fantasy?

Thanks in anticipation for any guidance.

I'm going to start my BA in English at Ramkhamhaeng's international campus this June. That's right,

studying English in Thailand :o:D . I'm going for Chinese as a foreign language. I'll let you know how it goes.

Chiang Mai University has a fairly well known sustainable development MA program. It's a two year program with no correspondance learning... not exactly what you are interested in, but maybe worth consideration...

Thanks - most interesting.