Just wondering what the demand is like for proof readers.

Last month I proof read a brochure for a company a friend works for and it was something I felt I could do well as a job as I have a good way with words and a good eye for mistakes if I am looking.

If I am unsure of a spelling I always check with the dictionary if it is nesscessary that the spelling be perfect.

I've yet to see any advertisements for proof readers.

Instead of waiting for one to appear, is there another way I can look for a job doing this?

Where would one look other than in the classifieds?

Really scampie you come up with some good ones :D

If you read any publication in Thailand (and I take it that you are talking about english language here) they are riddled with errors.

So yes!, maybe there is a real need, but, 'no' demand.

If you single out Chiangmai and look at the tourist magazines that are published you will find that they can't even consistently spell words wrong.

There are only two of these magazines magazines in Chiangmai that make a half assed attempt to proof read their publications and these are "Good Morning Chiangmai" and "City Life Chiangmai" (both good reading I might add)

You get street name spelt 4-5 different ways in just one edition/issue.

Even street names posted at intersections are spelt several different ways.

I have an idea why this is so but I will keep that to myself. :o

The term for this work is "post translation editing". Many of the high-end hotels contract with English-language schools to have one of the native-speaker teachers habitually assigned to give English language training to key hotel customer service staff - a secondary role for this staff trainer is to edit the English language documents - menus, brochures, announcements, etc.

I used to have an American friend who played this role at Holiday Inn Crown Plaza on Silom - but his job got eliminated during 2003 SARS crisis, and he moved on. This sort of work is highly discretionary - it is one of the first expenses eliminated, when times turn tough.

If you have a legal corporate entity that can issue tax receipts, I suspect that you could run a directs sales effort to solicit post-translation editing work from key hospitality sector businesses - and also hospitals. As a freelancer, I doubt you will have much luck.

Good luck!

Indo-Siam

A friend of mine made up some business cards advertising himself as a proofreader and got some business by passing them out and posting them at office complexes. It wasn't his full time job, but it was good for earning extra cash! I'd do it myself if I weren't so ki-kiat! :o

Did he have a work permit? Dangerous stuff going round offices handing out business card touting for work if he didn't.

Good point that.

To get a WP one would have to get a steady job and ask the employer to sort it out - then become a proof reader by word of mouth - presumably.

That said, isn't there some loophole regarding wk permits if one is self employed or has started his own business with 51% in a Thai partners name?

Nice one Scouser!

I agree with the earlier comment that there is a real need but no 'demand'

Even the big companies make mistakes in full page colour ads in the Bangkok Post! It really makes me cringe, and of course makes them look extremely amateurish.

I had this conversation once with a magazine editor here in BKK. His view:

(paraphrase) The mid-to-large Thai companies will pass the proofing to their hi-so (that usually means thai-chinese staff) who attended either international or bilingual school, and who have at least some reasonable 'command' of spoken-english. However, as we know, that doesn't mean they are able to write in English very well. There is also the issue of 'face' when it comes to the need to contract-out proofing work. There would be a loss of face to admit the need for a farang.

That was his view. But you won't know til you try. Be mindful of the work permit issue. Setting up a company with your Thai wife, etc, might be the only way to do this. This is the right Website for info on that. Good luck.

'Demand' can only be created by farang consistently pointing out any spelling/grammar mistakes and typos.

The majority of Thai readers do not notice the ubiquitous missing plural 's', constant present tense (or overuse of past tense), arbitrary use of definite/indefinite article, mix-up of "are" and "have" as auxiliary verbs and such, since they have not grasped the need for these features, which are obligatory in English, but are either redundant or optional in Thai.

To create more work for proofreaders, do point out the mistakes in signs, magazines, menus (maybe give it a rest with small restaurants, since they should be applauded for even having tried to produce a menu in English) and so on.

Or just enjoy Thailand, and don't worry so much about it.

That said, isn't there some loophole regarding wk permits if one is self employed or has started his own business with 51% in a Thai partners name?
I haven't heard about this one. Anyone got some knowledge about this?
Job for proof reader?

I could need one, but its rather time consuming and delaying when being a poster here. :D

Job opportunity: Yes there is a need. If you want to find some jobs in this area, write a marketing letter and start emailing it to companies around in town. You may be lucky to find some jobs this way.

And if you can't write a marketing letter, you're welcome to contact me. I am very good at this. You'll have to edit it of course since I'm a non-native English speaker. (Actually, the last comment doesn't count much, even otherwise well-educated native English speakers could need a good editor in their writings sometimes). :o

I had this conversation once with a magazine editor here in BKK. His view:

(paraphrase) The mid-to-large Thai companies will pass the proofing to their hi-so (that usually means thai-chinese staff) who attended either international or bilingual school, and who have at least some reasonable 'command' of spoken-english. However, as we know, that doesn't mean they are able to write in English very well. There is also the issue of 'face' when it comes to the need to contract-out proofing work. There would be a loss of face to admit the need for a farang.

My Thai friends pretty much echo this same view. In their opinion, an English translation is often made by some poo-yai within a company. Pointing out that important individual might be wrong about something just isn't the done thing, hence none of these mistakes are ever rectified and nobody gives the appearance of caring.