Imac Assistance Needed

jessedaviesthai

I live in the Krabi area on one of the islands, and have been using a PC laptop with motorola modem (not a phone) with DTAC dialup connection to access the internet.

I recently brought a desktop imac g4 over from the UK, but have never used a mac before, hence this post.

By dint of playing around, I have got the g4 to see the pc and connect on a peer to peer, but am unsure how to make it use the internet connection via the pc. Ideally, I do not want to have to unplug the modem from the pc and put into the imac itself, as I pay for the dialup service through a company on the island, and DTAC have only issued them with software to install the modem on PC's - they have nothing for macs. I have contacted DTAC direct but have had no response. The company I pay for the service program the pc's using the usual *99# dial up number, with account name and password left blank. The g4 won't accept this.

If someone could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful, I appreciate this is probably very old hat and mundane to everyone else, but as I am starting from scratch with the imac I am completely unfamiliar.

Thank you.

Is your PC running Windows? If so, I believe there is a way to share an internet connection.

Within your network connections of the Windows system, right click on the icon for the modem, and select properties. There is a check-box (under one of the tabs) that you can enable to share your internet connection.

I've done this in the past with Windows-to-Windows setup, but have not had a need to do it in a long time.

I no longer run Windows, but perhaps some else on this forum can verify (and augment) my instructions.

P.S. For some, a PC is equivalent to a Windoze system. Not true. PC = Personal Computer. I run Linux (Fedora Core 5 and Ubuntu) with my PCs. Soon, if not already, Apple will be shipping intel-CPU PCs that run the Mac OS.

Edited by Gumballl

Hi, thanks very much for your input - I've tried to execute what you said but having set the ICS in properties for the DTAC connection, it has disabled my wireless network connection and I can't get it started again. Help! It appears to be a case of either/or with the ICS, I can set the DTAC one to do it, but then the wireless network between the 2 computers is disabled, or I can set the wireless network for ICS but then I still can't connect to the internet on the mac. I'm apologise if this is something simple, but I honestly have no idea what I am doing here, I'm not even sure where the wireless connection I had established between the 2 has disappeared to!