Earthquake 9:49am?

chownah

Earthquake...9:49am?

Distant noise followed by one fast shake with windows rattling.

Yes, same here (14kms south of Town). Felt sharper and nearer than previous ones I've experienced around here. Previously they've felt more like being on a boat riding a slow wave, but this one was a lot more "jagged". Nothing broken though, as far as I can tell.

+ SJ

There are some F-18's in LOS right now and they even passed 100 meters over my house up north couple of days ago. Could that have been the cause??

No, couldn't have been aircraft. The bungalow moved and shook and windows rattled very suddenly and quite strongly just for a couple of seconds, and then stopped. Wife working on the farm 6kms east of our bungalow also felt it. Definitely an earthquake, but perhaps smaller in magnitude whilst a lot nearer than previous ones. The further away an earthquake is, the smoother and lower frequency it feels; is that right?

+ SJ

Isn't it the total opposite? Earthquakes travel like tsunamis - they build up during a certain distance. I have to google this.

Will be interesting to hear what you find.

However I have two reasons for expecting this latest quake to be more local than previous ones:

1. Only Chownah and I appear to have felt it; no news of it further afield.

2. There must be a degree of elasticity in the Earth, which would tend to dampen the shockwave as it travels, wouldn't it?

+ SJ

My kids felt it too. I would have too, but was in a car travelling towards town at the time.

Isn't it the total opposite? Earthquakes travel like tsunamis - they build up during a certain distance. I have to google this.

Will be interesting to hear what you find.

However I have two reasons for expecting this latest quake to be more local than previous ones:

1. Only Chownah and I appear to have felt it; no news of it further afield.

2. There must be a degree of elasticity in the Earth, which would tend to dampen the shockwave as it travels, wouldn't it?

+ SJ