Real Thai's Don't Wear Bikini's

Mango-Guy

OK I'm being very ironic with "real" in the thread title, a bit like that book "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche" but what a surprise it was when I first learned that most Thai females are very modest about their bodies, and aghast at displaying too much flesh - even at the beach.

What do you think about this ? I've always preferred the European attitude which admires a beautiful body and is comfortable with showing it off ? How do you teach mixed kids about their body: something to be modest of or something to be comfortable with ? Isn't flesh-paranoia at odds with the otherwise relaxed attitude in Thailand. I just don't get it ?!?!?!

Would especially appreciate hearing from some of the lovely Thai female participants on this topic.

In a lot of countries, girls/women from the countryside are not very comfortable showing off their bodies.

But in Thailand, because of the very conservative education of the girls, there is another aspect is that Thai girls are generally shy about everything, not only the bikini part,... (ouside Bangkok and big cities).

Hmmm well I keep trying to get my TGF to wear a bikini and she lets me buy them for her and then laffs. She's not shy, but her reasoning is Thai men will gossip if she wears one. :D Now if I let her pick a bathing suit- it looks like something my grandmum would wear. :o

• Haha 1

My TGF likes to wear a T-shirt and shorts, sometimes even a sarong on the beach and when in the sea.

I asked her once if she wanted me to buy her a bikini or even just the top and she refused just saying Thai women are too shy, she didn't want all the men looking at her. She has beautiful body so it's not that she is ashamed or anything, I find her shyness and modesty very attractive.

I also think that a Thai girls facination with having fair skin plays a part in this also, i.e cover up and don't get "black colour"

totster

I also think that a Thai girls facination with having fair skin plays a part in this also, i.e cover up and don't get "black colour"

One of the very important point.

They actually do not like to be in a situation where they could get some darkening of the skin.

And I guess a bikini session qualifies,...

But since the face is still what everybody sees, they just do not like to be under the sun for too long, whatever the clothes.

So,going to beaches or outdoor swimming pools with or without a bikini is most of the time a no, no.

Here comes a Bangkok chick.. :o

Good points above so far. I've been wearing bikini for a few years. At first, I didn't feel comfortable with it as we're taught all our lives that we're not supposed to reveal too much of our flesh. Things've changed. People've changed. I wanted to try. So, I bought one when I was still with the Ex File. I felt nervous at first. He kept telling me I looked great and sexy in it. Now I feel totally comfortable in it.

As I am in Pattaya now.. look for me on Pattaya beach or Jomtien tomorrow. :D

Swimming in the sea with all ones clothes on is a bit much.

But, I must say, I prefer it, to seeing those middle aged, fat, ugly, Farang women with sagging bums in skimpy swim suits, prancing about.....Ugh.

My GF will only wear a swimsuit if it has a little skirt, and she has a lovely bottom.

Can't understand why many Thai Men, and Boys, don't strip off though???

Here comes a Bangkok chick.. :o

Good points above so far. I've been wearing bikini for a few years. At first, I didn't feel comfortable with it as we're taught all our lives that we're not supposed to reveal too much of our flesh. Things've changed. People've changed. I wanted to try. So, I bought one when I was still with the Ex File. I felt nervous at first. He kept telling me I looked great and sexy in it. Now I feel totally comfortable in it.

As I am in Pattaya now.. look for me on Pattaya beach or Jomtien tomorrow. :D

Will look for you with the postage stamps over your "bits" :D

I can only speak for my wife, she would not be caught dead in a bikini. They fascinate her but she would never wear one. Heck after 14 years of marriage she still cover herself in front of me. Like after a shower or changing clothes. I tell her it's not like I have never seen you naked before. She just said that's the way she was raised and can't break the habbit.

Same here with being accustomed by the tradition of covering up to show respect but as LC mentioned times are a changing and you can see many Thai girls nowadays wearing bikinis. It's also the culture you grow up in, when I was growing up inthe states, it was normal to wear fashionable bra tops and that sort but overhere no one would dare to be out with any sort of underwear on display. But nowadays, take a trip to any shopping area, nightclubs or entertainment hangouts, you can see kids and adults of all ages wearing more revealing apparel, but then again this is from a Bangkokian viewpoint. When I was up in Chiangmai a couple months ago I saw the teenagers dressed a little bit more conservative compared to the those in Bangkok.

I also started to wear bikinis (not the itsy bitsy yellow polka dot bikini of course!) just recently at the age of 24 since I still have quite instilled in me a very traditional Thai mentality but not factoring out the gutsy american side of me. So back to the main question, why do some Thai girls still don't wear bikinis, these are a couple of my own surveyed answers:

1) Usually fear of getting dark. I could care less actually but I'm neither fair or dark skin so maybe I'm complaisant about it. But the truth really is that, take for example my friends, some of them put on loads and loads of sunscreen then still go out with a tee and shorts and their swimming suits under them then proceed to swim in that outfit. But you can't blame a girl for being careful right?

2) The overly protective boyfriend. This happens, some don't want to admit this since many would think this would mean their bf's are controlling but it's a plausible reason.

3) Low self esteem due to critical peers and accepted notions that the perfect body is to be like a stick or a white stick in that matter. Girls and women today are under pressure every single day by images and commercials that bombard them with how Thai women should look like, i.e. white skin, skinny pre adolescent bodies, straight ironed like hair, etc....

4) Bikinis are expensive! Sometimes I can't stand the thought that a bikini which uses less material than a swimsuit can cost more (well actually the reason being because of the cutting), well not if you buy them from the local market of course, those can be cheap but you might have to watch out for them when in the ocean cause you might come out of the water with a headband and topless, if you get what I mean!

Personally I don't mind too much.

I can understand what you are saying 'shopgurl' particularly points 1-3 (however as most Thai girls are flashing very expensive mobiles, if they want to flash their flesh, cost would not hinder them :D )

There is an ambivilence in the thought process however as almost all girls will ride side saddle when wearing a skirt yet think nothing of sitting astride when wearing the shortest of shorts showing as much skin as is possible (almost as much leg as if wearing a regular two piece)

And it is not uncommon to see girls at the local 7-11 or noodle shop at midnight wearing their pajamas.

I am not complaining though.

They had a saying a few years ago that the guy who invented the bikini was called 'Seymour Crutch' :o

Agreed, it is definitely a big city/country divide. Where I live I have never (in 15 years) seen a local girl even wear a swimsuit (and I live on the beach) much less a bikini. Doubt they even own a swimsuit. Most don't even know how to swim (and yes, I live on an island, go figure). Saw some Bangkok Thai girls come to the beach wearing bikini tops and everyone assumed that they were Bangkok bargirls. No, local girl would ever been seen in one for fear of being labelled 'loose', 'easy', or 'prostitute'. Even I have taken to wearing a very modest swimsuit, just feels funny when everyone else has their clothes on to be wearing something revealing (plus, i get the feeling I am being critiqued by the local guys). Added factor is my husband does not appreciate other men looking at his wife's body.

So, all in all, I would say a "real thai" from a rural area wouldn't be caught dead in a bikini. Guess it all depends if we feel urban Thais are less "real"?

Oh I'll add to my initial post and concur that "becoming black" is another valid reason for no bikini. I get the oh my mama will not like me turn black and look down on me. :D I think dark is good, but I wont win this battle I'm quite sure of it. :o

totster

Good point. I went down south for a while with my TGF, and she was complaining about being darker when she got back. (Although... **everyone** knows that farangs prefer darker skin... )