Hsbc Onshore/offshore Rates For My Hsbc Atm Card?

As a UK Premier customer, I am never charged for any ATM withdrawals. But I neverused my offshore ATM card yet. Theexchangerateremainsunchanged for all customers. ** Beware when wiring less than ( $ 35,000??) as then the FOREX by the offshore folks stinks to high heaven. It is muchworse thanwhatnormal HSBCcustomersget :o :--(((

Edited by Maestro
Off topic. OP asked about exchange rate, not bank fees.

<br />As a UK Premier customer, I am never charged for any ATM withdrawals. But I neverused my offshore ATM card yet.

I'm a so-called UK Premier account customer & I'm charged everytime I use my ATM card in Thailand. The charge varies depending upon the amount I withdraw.

Edited by Maestro
Off topic. OP asked about exchange rate, not bank fees.

<br />As a UK Premier customer, I am never charged for any ATM withdrawals. But I neverused my offshore ATM card yet.

I'm a so-called UK Premier account customer & I'm charged everytime I use my ATM card in Thailand. The charge varies depending upon the amount I withdraw.

Snap! I am also a HSBC premiere customer. I don't get charged for ATM withdrawls.

Did you check the ATM didn't state it was going to charge you extra? I saw this sort of message years ago 'please note you will be charged blah blah for this transaction' - to which I selected 'cancel'.

As an HSBC premier account holder I don't get charged for ATM withdrawals in Thailand but I only got the off shore rate which meant it cost more to withdraw money than it did to use my LloydsTSB ATM card because although they charged for withdrawals I got the on shore rate. I'm back in the UK on holiday at the moment and have just opened a Nationwide account because they don't charge for withdrawals and give the on shore rate. It must be a 'visa' debit card though to get the on shore rate.

... have just opened a Nationwide account because they don't charge for withdrawals and give the on shore rate. It must be a 'visa' debit card though to get the on shore rate.

I didn't know that. I have two cards (on two flex accounts) and a gold visa credit card. So the last one can't be used, but debit cards relating to the flex account can ffor the onshor rate?

I have a US based HSBC account and a BKK based HSBC account. Using the US ATM card at the Rama IV branch resulted in an offshore conversion rate. Using the same card via a Bangkok Bank ATM or SCB results in the more favorable onshore rate. Seems inconsistent, but true.

Type of Cash Purchases Currency Card Withdrawal Conversion Fee

HSBC Premier Sterling Debit Card

Free from any HSBC cash machine worldwide. If cash is withdrawn from any other cash machine a charge of 1.5% will be incurred (min. £1.50)

That would seem to cleap up my confusion over why some ppl. are charged & some aren't. Question is though, is the rate of exchange better if the card is used at an HSBC machine?

Does anyone know if I will get onshore or offshore rates withdrawing cash with my HSBC ATM card?

Have US Premier account with debit and mastercard. Debit card is drawn from US account and gets USexchange rates but no ATM fees. Credit card same if used at HSBC ATM. Using ATM card prior to Premier level account I got US rates with local ATM charges.

... have just opened a Nationwide account because they don't charge for withdrawals and give the on shore rate. It must be a 'visa' debit card though to get the on shore rate.

I didn't know that. I have two cards (on two flex accounts) and a gold visa credit card. So the last one can't be used, but debit cards relating to the flex account can ffor the onshor rate?

Yes

Using the same card via a Bangkok Bank ATM or SCB results in the more favorable onshore rate. Seems inconsistent, but true.

Most ATM machines here in Thailand, at least the ones I've used, don't charge a fixed fee for using a foreign ATM card. But they exact their pound of flesh by fiddling with the exchange rate -- and some aren't too kind. So, if you thought this "no fixed fee by the ATM owner" makes Thailand look like a good deal compared to your home country, forget it. Your home country has no exchange rate to fiddle with, thus the fixed fee by the ATM owner for unrelated card activity.

Edited by JimGant