Importingf Small, Old Bike - Possible At All?

Thanh-BKK

Hello :o

A moreor less hypothetical question here. In my home country (Germany) a type of motorbike used to exist which is rather unique. I had a couple of them and they are endless fun to ride!

I am talking about 50cc (that's FIFTY ccm) bikes without any speed restrictions, i.e. NOT "mopeds". These can have up to 8 HP and run up to 130 KM/h, usually build like real motorbikes just a little smaller. I will attach a photo of one so you can get an idea (i owned that precise model).

Now Germany phased these out in 1980 and therefor they are old. Minimum 27 years, that is.

Now could i import one such to Thailand and drive it here? If so, what would the import duty likely be? Is it seen as "an old motorbike" or, like in Germany, a "rare and expensive classic motorbike"? They can now cost 2.000 Euros easily in Germany...... but i would get one that's a wreck and build it up myself.

My Zuendapp KS 50 Supersport is in fact the only thing that i miss about Germany....

Best regards.....

Thanh

post-13387-1187089416_thumb.jpg

Well, all it takes is money.

If I were to estimate, I would guess you would be looking about 100,000 baht to get it over here, through customs and registered. Could be as high as 200,000 baht though depending on what customs got for lunch.

I know those bikes and agree completely, they would be huge fun in BKK.