Heskey For England

mrtoad

Just been having a look on the BBC sports pages and there are rumours that our favourite donkey may be in line for a recall to the England squad for the Germany game. :D:D

Please tell me that this can't be true :D:bah:

There are surely better players worth giving a run, rather than reverting to a player who couldn't hit a cows ass with a banjo from 2 yards and has the balance of a 14 month old child.

Okay, I know he might of had one good game against Germany back in 2002, but this is taking it a little bit to far if you ask me. I can think of a few dead and buried players who I'd rather see dug up and wheeled around in a box playing for England than Heskey. :o

What do you think of other candidates, after all it is only a friendly.

How about players like Nugent, Bent, Johnson, Ashton, Defoe, Smith? Surely any of these are a better option. :D

I dont think theres any chance hel_l be recalled, from what i read it was just his manager saying in his opinion Heskey deserves another chance. I doubt Mclaren would recall him. Ive always liked Defoe, id like to see Defoe and Ashton play together.

I dont think theres any chance hel_l be recalled, from what i read it was just his manager saying in his opinion Heskey deserves another chance. I doubt Mclaren would recall him. Ive always liked Defoe, id like to see Defoe and Ashton play together.

theres got to be better than him out there ,if not play gerrard or lampard out of position before the donkey please :o

Don't bet on it. We are talking about Steve McClown here, anythings possible. :o

Yeah true maybe we could be in for a francis Jeffers recall lol

Maybe we should start a thread with Englands biggest Donkey XI :o capped players only.

Edited by mrtoad

• 2 weeks later...
Emile Heskey has been recalled by Steve McClaren for England's forthcoming Euro 2008 qualifiers

Its happened <deleted>!!!!!!!!!

:o

Heskey Recalled - E-Aw ways knew it would happen.

post-31474-1188739262.jpg

Above: A delighted Emile says "He's over the moon that the carrot and stick approach has born fruits". Coach Steve McClown agreed, saying that "his intensive preseason on the sand at Blackpool has improved his balance, and that as he is available up until the switching of the illuminations he would be ideal cover for some of the injured players."

Source: Bangcock Post

Edited by mrtoad

Yeah, Downing will probably play as will Phil Neville :o along with Heskey on the field England should change there name to Derby.

The goal keeping situation looks pretty fragile, two keepers who have appaling records when it comes to making high profile and costly errors when in an England shirt.

Would you adam and eve it :o

Heskey recalled to England squad _44091986_heskey203.jpg Heskey has been in the international wilderness for over three yearsEngland coach Steve McClaren has called Wigan forward Emile Heskey into his squad for the Euro 2008 qualifiers against Israel and Russia.

The Wigan striker won the last of his 43 caps against France at Euro 2004.

McClaren watched the 29-year-old in action for Wigan at Newcastle on Saturday and subsequently requested his release from the Latics.

"I think he deserves to be recalled. We need his experience at this time," said McClaren on the FA's website.

"Emile is a player with a lot international experience and has played many times with Michael Owen in the past.

"He's been in good form for Wigan this season, he played very well against Sunderland and I saw him play well against Newcastle.

o.gif

"While he has been out of the squad for a few years, I've spoken with [Wigan boss] Chris Hutchings who has been hugely impressed with him."

Peter Crouch is suspended for Saturday's encounter with Israel at Wembley, while Wayne Rooney has been sidelined with a broken bone in his foot.

Heskey was called into the squad under former coach Sven-Goran Eriksson for games against Northern Ireland and Azerbaijan in March 2005 but did not play.

He has scored just five times in his 43 appearances at international level, but has been tipped for a recall after some powerful Premier League displays this season.

Wigan manager Chris Hutchings has hailed Heskey as "colossal" and believes his recall is fully merited.

"This is not just tremendous personal news for Emile, but it's also fantastic for Wigan as a whole," said Heskey's boss Hutchings.

o.gif"He is a brilliant professional, one of the best I've worked with. He is colossal and I have no doubt he will serve England well if Steve McClaren picks him for either of the games.

"I think it's a thoroughly deserved call-up because he has been playing out of his skin. His team-mates will be as chuffed as I am." McClaren was keen to bring in some muscle up front after watching Owen impress when partnered with Mark Viduka and Shola Ameobi for Newcastle.

:o:D Sorry, Jared couln't resist. I just wish that you had been right.

Cant understand why anyone would pick Heskey above Nugent, Derbyshire or Agbonlahor. Unless he was a totally inept... Is Glen Roeder still looking for a job? :o

I'd put an in-form Heskey ahead of them, especially for games where taking the points is vital. Not because I think Heskey is a fantastic player but simply because you know what you're going to get from him. There'll be no match-winning piece of brilliance but the other players like having him in the team because of the way he plays. He'll just be very solid and work his knackers off but he can do that at international level. In the circumstances, and IF he really is on a good run of form (haven't seen him play at all recently), then it might just work.

Cant understand why anyone would pick Heskey above Nugent, Derbyshire or Agbonlahor. Unless he was a totally inept... Is Glen Roeder still looking for a job? :D

I'd put an in-form Heskey ahead of them, especially for games where taking the points is vital. Not because I think Heskey is a fantastic player but simply because you know what you're going to get from him. There'll be no match-winning piece of brilliance but the other players like having him in the team because of the way he plays. He'll just be very solid and work his knackers off but he can do that at international level. In the circumstances, and IF he really is on a good run of form (haven't seen him play at all recently), then it might just work.

43 games, 5 goals and load of poor performances. Only one good game springs to mind. Germany 2002, and even Nick Barmby played well that day, so why not give him a recall as well? :D

I understand your point about working hard, but seriously is that a prerequisate for playing international football. Terry Hurlock was one of the hardest working players I've seen, but he was hardly up to that level. Heskey has IMO had plenty of chances in the past to prove himself and has failed miserably. I think that at least with Agbohlohor, he has got some genuine pace, a good engine and he is able to stay on his feet and work the right channels. Heskey may run, but it's normally into deadzones or he ends up falling over, his strike rate is appalling and he gives possesion away far to easily at the top level. I can understand why players probably lie him around, because his inept performances probably deflect analysis of some other players' poor peformances in an England shirt.

This looks like a last throw of the dice from McClown, because rest assured, if they don't come up with the goods next week, the press hostility will be far harsher than even The Turnip suffered. Please FA, put us out of our misery soon - Taxi for McClown :o

Edited by mrtoad

After having a look at the papers back in Blighty and the BBC as well, it appears that Michael Owen has been the influence behind the recall of the Donkey. If this is the case, then I suggets that MCclown seriously considers his position, as in no way should the England manager be listening to the personal request of players, especially one like Owen who's own recent performances and lack of appearances in an England shirt hardly suggest that he is a positive influence.

Cant understand why anyone would pick Heskey above Nugent, Derbyshire or Agbonlahor. Unless he was a totally inept... Is Glen Roeder still looking for a job? :o

R u sure ????????? :D

"Heskeys in form this season"

The season is only a couple of weeks old :o Hardly an indication as to whether someone is in form or not. But to be honest the whole squad play like a bunch of clowns, not sure whos fault it is but being an Englishman it sure is mighty embarrassing watching them :D

Just been having a look on the BBC sports pages and there are rumours that our favourite donkey may be in line for a recall to the England squad for the Germany game. :D:D

Please tell me that this can't be true :D:bah:

There are surely better players worth giving a run, rather than reverting to a player who couldn't hit a cows ass with a banjo from 2 yards and has the balance of a 14 month old child.

Okay, I know he might of had one good game against Germany back in 2002, but this is taking it a little bit to far if you ask me. I can think of a few dead and buried players who I'd rather see dug up and wheeled around in a box playing for England than Heskey. :o

What do you think of other candidates, after all it is only a friendly.

How about players like Nugent, Bent, Johnson, Ashton, Defoe, Smith? Surely any of these are a better option. :D

Just not good enough :bah::o Might aswell give Andy Cole or Gazza a run out!!

Mclaren would appear to want a target man up front to compliment Owen, as you don't have a skillful forward to replace Rooney like for like. Ashton has hardly played for a year and doesn't have international experience, and Alan Smith is a non-entity of a player at the top level and was dismal in his last two England outings, i'd take Heskey any day over him.

I can understand why he's been recalled, in the absence of Crouch and Rooney. True, his goalscoring record isn't really good enough, but it does him a grave disservice to claim he's only had one good game, he gives a lot more to the team than just goals and is one of the latest in a long line of scapegoats, whose contributions have been rubbished and overlooked, in the attempt to explain England's ineptitude.

Owen has always flourished alongside him, and clearly enjoys playing with him. He may not be as good as you would really want, but if he's the best you've got available for the role Mclaren has in mind then he should play.

Edited by John_Rambo

Owen has always flourished alongside him, and clearly enjoys playing with him. He may not be as good as you would really want, but if he's the best you've got available for the role Mclaren has in mind then he should play.

Not only Owen. He's been highly regarded by teammates and managers wherever he's played.

As you say, he's not what you really want, but there are not really too many options available (highlighting the dearth of English talent, I suppose).

And he gives everyone else an excuse if things go badly. :o

Dear Non Believers,

Mclaren would appear to want a target man up front to compliment Owen, as you don't have a skillful forward to replace Rooney like for like. Ashton has hardly played for a year and doesn't have international experience, and Alan Smith is a non-entity of a player at the top level and was dismal in his last two England outings, i'd take Heskey any day over him.

I can understand why he's been recalled, in the absence of Crouch and Rooney. True, his goalscoring record isn't really good enough, but it does him a grave disservice to claim he's only had one good game, he gives a lot more to the team than just goals and is one of the latest in a long line of scapegoats, whose contributions have been rubbished and overlooked, in the attempt to explain England's ineptitude.

Love Mrs Heskey (Emiles Mum)

:o

^ No intelligent argument to make then? No surprise.

I notice from your OP that you think that Alan Smith is a better option. Now that truly is laughable.

Sorry, maybe you don't understand humour. I'm sorry for you.

If you cared to look at some of my other posts, you may see that I do have a reasonable knowledge of the game as well as pretty balanced opinions . I don't beleive that Heskey is good enough, but to question my intelligence suggests that you have little to contribute if you don't like other peoples opinions.

Edited by mrtoad

^ Humour i get, but you're not funny.

Taking the piss out of my post because you don't agree with it, does not constitute an intelligent argument, who said anything about your intelligence in general?

Funny how you suspect that i have little to contribute to the debate when your response to my different opinion was to laugh at it.

With your reasonable knowledge of the game and balanced opinions, maybe you would like to explain to me why Alan Smith is a better option?

Edited by John_Rambo

Heskey set to start for England

Heskey has scored five goals in 43 international appearances

England coach Steve McClaren will give a shock recall to Emile Heskey in Saturday's crucial Euro 2008 qualifier against Israel, BBC Sport understands.

The Wigan striker, who last played for his country in Euro 2004, is set to partner former Liverpool team-mate Michael Owen in attack at Wembley.

And Gareth Barry is on standby to step into the midfield if Owen Hargreaves fails to pass a late fitness test.

McClaren has confirmed Steven Gerrard and keeper Paul Robinson will start.

Liverpool skipper Gerrard had been doubtful with a broken toe but has been passed fit.

"It will be a big boost for everyone, but most of all it will be a boost for Stevie Gerrard because he wants to play in this game," said McClaren.

However, it is still unclear who Gerrard will be lining up with in the heart of the England midfield as Hargreaves has a thigh problem.

"Owen also wants to play every game and we're giving him every opportunity, but we'll leave it up to the player and the medics," McClaren added.

England skipper John Terry admitted Hargreaves was a worry after he had to sit out part of Friday's training session.

"He was on the sidelines watching what we were doing formation-wise and for set-plays," said Terry. "It was an idea to make sure he was fully OK and to give him another day's rest.

"It's touch and go whether he is going to be OK for the game."

Manchester United midfielder Hargreaves ended the session with some light jogging with England physio Gary Lewin.

England are already without Frank Lampard and David Beckham.

Chelsea midfielder Lampard is ruled out with a thigh injury, while Beckham's knee problem has ended any hope of the LA Galaxy star playing any part.

Israel coach Dror Kashtan says now is the perfect time to play England, although he has to contend with an injury of his own as striker Roberto Colautti has been ruled out.

"The England national team are always a strong side especially at home," said Kashtan.

"For me England are the favourites for the game but on a given day, in a given match, everyone is vulnerable.

Rambo, take a chill pill and lighten up. I agree to disagree on your opinion of who is a better choice. For me a fit Alan Smith is a better option and he has really had little opportunity to establish himself in the England team due to injuries, but again very difficult to compare them as they play football a lot differently. I think if you looked at some of Smiths perormances for United last season after coming back from a very serious injury he showed that he is capable at playing at the highest level. The lack of firts team oppotunities has always been a problem at United, but maybe he will get more of a run a Newcastle. For me the inclusion of Heskey suggests a throwback to previous tactics employed by England, ableit rather unsuccesfully, give or take a few performances. In fairness, they may well play him up front, rather than the ludicrous idea of playing on the left.

I seriously hope that I am wrong and that Heskey goes on to have a towering performance and maybe even scores a goal or to, sadly the stats suggest that this is unlikely :o Anyway, for all of us - I hope we at least get three points tonight.

Edited by mrtoad