True Restricting Emails

Larry

I just got a message from True that as of 1 September they will be SUSPENDING service if they see that any e-mail account on Outlook or Outlook Express uses a different incoming server. That means, as I read it, that all of us with established email addresses not through True will have to stop using them, so face suspension of service in two weeks. For us with small businesses, this is especially unfair and horrendous.

Interested in knowing other people's views on this.

I am appending the message (that came in both Thai and English) below

FROM TRUE

Dear All TrueMail users,

Due to the fact that some TrueMail users currently receive and send e-mail through Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express by setting e-mail client for multiple incoming e-mail accounts but single outgoing via TrueMail account. We also found a great number of spam mails have been sent through TrueMail account which is contrary to Conditions and Agreement of using TrueMail service; and it may cause all TrueMail accounts to be blocked by other e-mail service providers.

Accordingly, we are requesting all users to check and correct your e-mail client configuration by setting incoming mail server and outgoing mail server of each e-mail account to the same Internet service provider within 31 August 2007.

As from 1 September 2007, We will suspend our service to any users who have not adjusted such configuration.

We truly appreciate your kind cooperation which helps us maintain the benefits of all TrueMail users. If you need more information for e-mail client configuration, please visit http://www.trueinternet.co.th/truemail/smtp/

Users of any other Internet Service Providers may check the information from your service provider’s website.

Yours Truly

TrueMail

Nothing to worry about. This is just about the SMTP server, used to send messages. It's standard practice to only allow outgoing emails from the same provider.

Whenever you have an email address somewhere, they also give you an "outgoing" address to use. This is called the SMTP server. Its responsible for taking your email and sending it off.

If I understand the above correctly, it appears that True's SMTP server will currently just send anything out, not just True addresses. They are now correcting that mistake.

You just need to change your settings in outlook to use your mail provider's SMTP server. For example, I have a mac.com address. Under the old rules in True, I could have just sent emails from the mac.com address via True's SMTP servers. Which is bad - any spammer could then use that SMTP server.

Under the new rules, I need to set up my mail client so outgoing mail correctly goes through smtp.mac.com

Same for Gmail etc. If you have your own email address & server, ask your internet provider for the smpt server address. It's very easy to set up an SMTP server.

The main reason for not allowing anyone to send through any SMTP server is to combat spam.

Nothing to worry about. This is just about the SMTP server, used to send messages. It's standard practice to only allow outgoing emails from the same provider.

There are a whole load of email providers who do not provide an SMTP server. Particularly those providing web hosting of one's websites.

Also my main farangland ISP email account does not allow me to use their SMTP server when I am abroad. This edict from True will prove a najor hassle to many

There are a whole load of email providers who do not provide an SMTP server. Particularly those providing web hosting of one's websites.

Also my main farangland ISP email account does not allow me to use their SMTP server when I am abroad. This edict from True will prove a najor hassle to many

If your hosting provider does not provide you with an outgoing SMTP server I think it's time to find one that does. :o

They may have no choice about the policy. A big international forum has set rules about email handling to reduce the spam abuse which is current running some large portion of the bandwidth which is used for email. They are required to be able to resolve all emails to and from sources in a standard way. I could never even use outlook with AIS, and had to use only web based mail because many networks would not take emails from AIS network they may have fixed that by now. It did not resolve the source of the mail in the network and everything was dumped as spam. The whole ISP faces possable email blacklist as some POP servers in the US already have when tried to protect the spammer accounts that they were making alot of money from.