What Happened To My Computer?

ChiangMaiThai

Since thismorning, whenever I try to open a file or program on my computer or on an external drive, I get the same error message.

Windows can not access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item.

I tried logging off, restarting, shutting down etc. No luck.

I'm using XP. Does anyone have any idea what happened and how I can fix it? I am able to copy files to an external hard drive, but I can't open those files either so at the moment my computer is completely useless.

I'm posting from an internet cafe...

Edited by ChiangMaiThai

Since thismorning, whenever I try to open a file or program on my computer or on an external drive, I get the same error message.

Windows can not access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item.

I tried logging off, restarting, shutting down etc. No luck.

I'm using XP. Does anyone have any idea what happened and how I can fix it? I am able to copy files to an external hard drive, but I can't open those files either so at the moment my computer is completely useless.

I'm posting from an internet cafe...

I had the same problem but can't remember how I fixed it since it was a couple years ago. It might have been by restoring a prior version of the registry. It also might have been right before my drive crashed. I would definitely back up whatever you can to the external drive just in case.

Guest Reimar

Try to start the computer in Safe Mode by pressing the F8 key within booting and select Safe Mode. If you can do so, Right click on My Computer follow by click on Properties. Click on System Restore and try to restore to an earlier date!

If that don't work, use your Windows CD, boot from the CD, ignore the 1. screen with option Repair, accept the License Agreement an the next screen by pressing F8 key and on the next screen should be an option for Repair. Use this option which will install Windows again but without losing of data or drivers/settings.

Try to start the computer in Safe Mode by pressing the F8 key within booting and select Safe Mode. If you can do so, Right click on My Computer follow by click on Properties. Click on System Restore and try to restore to an earlier date!

Thanks! It worked. I restored to last known working state and everything now seems normal. Does this mean my computer is fine now or am I just days away from a total meltdown?

Not to worry to much sometimes reg just gets the hic ups. If it keeps happening then back up and house clean the system I use CCleaner seems to work for me. but there are many others, CCleaner is free.