Always Lock It.

kevc

Talking to a guy today flying on Air Asia and they wouldn't let him on with his bag because of too much liquids, so he put it through baggage without a lock (didn't have one with him) and forgot to take his camera out.

Result bag ransacked and camera stolen.

I had a lot of clothes stolen out of my baggage before. It most likely happened in San Francisco. Expensive electronic equipment should always be carry-on. I've never had a problem in Thailand with this.

Problem is, in the U.S. you aren't allowed to lock your bags anymore. I don't know about Thailand, though.

Don't put anything of value in suitcase - apart from clothes/shaving kit. :o

Exactly, I flew Aeroflot many years ago (only once) and at Don Muang they were the only counter giving you tape to wrap round your locks and case.

By the way I like your dog.

I had a lot of clothes stolen out of my baggage before. It most likely happened in San Francisco. Expensive electronic equipment should always be carry-on. I've never had a problem in Thailand with this.

Problem is, in the U.S. you aren't allowed to lock your bags anymore. I don't know about Thailand, though.

Is that factual, passengers on long haul destinations out of the US are not allowed to lock their checked luggage? I won't say I don't believe it but it's extremely hard to imagine.

Is that factual, passengers on long haul destinations out of the US are not allowed to lock their checked luggage? I won't say I don't believe it but it's extremely hard to imagine.

you can lock it, but need a TSA approved lock which they have a key for. (if you don't lock will be cut off) Never bothered because all I carry is clothing/shaving kit. :o

widget1.jpg

Edited by britmaveric

Talking to a guy today flying on Air Asia and they wouldn't let him on with his bag because of too much liquids, so he put it through baggage without a lock (didn't have one with him) and forgot to take his camera out.

But his liquids were still there.

you can lock it, but need a TSA approved lock which they have a key for. (if you don't lock will be cut off) Never bothered because all I carry is clothing/shaving kit. :o

widget1.jpg

Never realized there are 2 different logos for TSA locks. The other one is like a 3d empty box. Both shown here: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/locks.shtm

My last trip out of LAX the process was if you had a lock you had to wait for them to screen the bag. You could leave it locked, but had to hang around in case they wanted it opened. If you had no lock or a TSA lock, you could just leave the bag with the screener and be on your way.

Even if you locked, it can be easily opened with simple tool such as awl.

You can use awl to open it, and take out whatever you like, and move zipper to lock it again.

So lock itself is not secure. It is just symbol of "Don't try!" message, I think. ^.^

The locks are often easy to force, but the point is that the thiefs don't have the extra-time nor want to catch attention. Your bags don't stay much time in their hands before entering plane.

I got a webcam and a nice knife stolen like this, when departed from Don Muang, several years ago. After, I just used some thin cord or electric cable to "lock" my bad, and it worked (and of course, I didn't put anything too much valuable... :o )

The locks are often easy to force, but the point is that the thiefs don't have the extra-time nor want to catch attention. Your bags don't stay much time in their hands before entering plane.

I got a webcam and a nice knife stolen like this, when departed from Don Muang, several years ago. After, I just used some thin cord or electric cable to "lock" my bad, and it worked (and of course, I didn't put anything too much valuable... :o )

I bought one of those colored straps that goes all the way around a bag to make it easy to identify. Then after the thread about items being stolen from bags I realized it actually made it a lot harder to open my bag. Have to break the lock and undo the the strap to get in. Not impossible, but with all the easy targets out there, my bag is pretty safe.

I've been to Thailand three times now, and I've never locked my case nor have I had anything stolen. I use a simple trick that works every time, - I tape a packet of Persil to the case. Although it won't prevent any would-be thieves, it does act as a detergent.

I have had even TSA locks cut off, departing / entering LAX, San Fran, Anch), with note of apology by various agency, (maybe they didn't have a key handy, didn't work, what ever),

I've also been asked to unlock same at various intermediates, (Sukhothai, CM, etc),

I stopped trying to secure checked baggage and just carry anything of value on my person or a carry-on, which is the more prudent anyway, if someone needs socks and underwear that bad go for it, :o

I hate to say this, but I have been traveling nearly monthly for 10 years and have yet to have anything stolen, my bags haven't arrived twice (both times delivered to my house by Thai a few days later, even though i have flown Emirates).

Not just Thailand but many destinations.

(now that I have voiced how lucky I have been I sure hopes it does not run out)

I'm of the opinion that a lock suggests something valuable is in that bag. I usually put a wire tie through the zippers to prevent them from getting accidentally opened. I have NEVER had anything stolen from a check in bag. Valuable items are always carried in my carry on bag.

Airport, airlines blame outsourced companies

Suvarnabhumi airport is stepping up surveillance of luggage on conveyor belts _ not to look for explosive material, but to prevent bags from being opened and valuables stolen by staff, airport director Serirat Prasutanond said yesterday.

Mr Serirat said security cameras are an effective tool for monitoring irregularities at the airport, but the airport needs more people to patrol areas where cameras are not installed.

He made the comments after reporting on thefts from luggage of inbound passengers at the airport.

The airport is only required to oversee baggage on its conveyor belts, while airlines are responsible for carrying bags to and from the terminal, he said. Airlines outsource the duty to other firms.

Besides staff of the various firms, other thieves could be people who pretend to be luggage transporters, Mr Serirat said. They board vehicles transporting luggage and rummage through the bags, he said.

One suspected thief has been arrested after an illegal act was recorded by security camera, he said. Another incident occurred on Aug 12, when a passenger of a Thai Airways International (THAI) flight from Chiang Mai to Suvarnabhumi complained of valuables being stolen, Mr Serirat added.

Chayata Tharnpisalsamut, a university student, said brand-name handbags and belts were stolen from her luggage early this year on the flight from London to Bangkok. The bag was delayed for a day and it had been opened, she said.

''My friend lost 10 Diesel watches among other things,'' she said of a friend who returned on a flight from the US.

Some thefts have been blamed on employees of companies hired by THAI and Bangkok Airways to carry passengers' bags between airplanes and the terminal.

Chaturongkapol Sodmanee, deputy director of Suvarnabhumi, said bags from the US were vulnerable because, according to a US law, passengers are not allowed to lock their luggage, facilitating random checks at airports, unless they use devices approved by the US Transportation Security Administration. These locks are specially designed to be opened only by certain airport officials who need to inspect bags, he said.

THAI president president Apinan Sumanaseni vowed to make sure companies hired by THAI did not employ people who would be involved in such criminal acts.

Bangkok Post

I would never bother to talk to anyone who flies Air Asia. They probably smell.

If one can't afford to fly properly, one should stay at home.

Only a muppet overpays!!!! :D

Good point, although I'm sure that's not what you meant. Who on earth pays for their own flights anymore? :o

It did happened to me twice, both times flying from SUV (on '07) and Don Muang (years ago).

The first time the checked-in luggage did not arrived ( I already posted on other topic, so no need to give more details).

This year (Feb. 'o7), upon picking up my luggages, I found both of my checked-in luggages had both locks cut off. Lost some items which I bought from a trip to China weeks earlier.

I've been flying dormestic around the US more than dozen times a year or average flying overseas like EU and Africa more often than flying to LOS, never once encountered this problem.

I think this kind of problem can happen any where in the world. I'm traveling a couple of times - 5 times or more per year - for last 10 years, and had three incidents related to luggage. All happened from US airports. LAX is notorious for luggage stolen or damaged.

Especially if you have long delay from airport, you have better chance for this kind of theft.

Interesting thing is that there are differences for airline's liability for how much they can reimbursed for stolen/damaged items.

For US domestic flight, it is somewhere around 1500 dollars to 2500 dollars depending on airline. But for international flight, it is limited to 640 US dollars or something like that per WARSAW tariff or something like that.

But sometimes if you insisted strongly with reasonable value, airline could arrange 640 dollars plus some mileages...

Even with good lock, they can break it with simple tool from hardware store. Or they can cut/break the luggage back.

With so much of security things they are talking about, and/or security tax we pay for,

it's amazing how it is easily penetrated by somebody into the back stage of Airport.

Airport, airlines blame outsourced companies

Suvarnabhumi airport is stepping up surveillance of luggage on conveyor belts _ not to look for explosive material, but to prevent bags from being opened and valuables stolen by staff, airport director Serirat Prasutanond said yesterday.

Mr Serirat said security cameras are an effective tool for monitoring irregularities at the airport, but the airport needs more people to patrol areas where cameras are not installed.

He made the comments after reporting on thefts from luggage of inbound passengers at the airport.

The airport is only required to oversee baggage on its conveyor belts, while airlines are responsible for carrying bags to and from the terminal, he said. Airlines outsource the duty to other firms.

Besides staff of the various firms, other thieves could be people who pretend to be luggage transporters, Mr Serirat said. They board vehicles transporting luggage and rummage through the bags, he said.

Bangkok Post

So much for security at Suvarnabhumi airport.

As Britmaveric said, I failed to mention you can lock it if you use a TSA approved lock which only they have a key for. However, quite a few people don't know this and think they can't lock it at all, because this is what was being said a few years ago.

:o I have been told by the airport authorities in Athens that if you lock your bag, and they chose your bag for a security inspection (either a random selection or because your checked lugguage trips their security alarms) they will remove any lock on your bags either by cutting off the lock, or pysically cutting open the bag if they can't remove the lock. Obviously the moral is: carry any valuable items or items that might be stolen with you as hand carry baggage.

:D

quoted........."For US domestic flight, it is somewhere around 1500 dollars to 2500 dollars depending on airline. But for international flight, it is limited to 640 US dollars or something like that per WARSAW tariff or something like that. ........"

--------------------------------------------------------------------

First time when I lost my lugguage from the flight out of Don Muang back to the US. You were right about the airline reimbursed for your lost luggage up to $640. It also good to know that if you use the American Express to purchase your airplane ticket, they cover for the lost too, as I did. After I filled in the claim form from AX, they just mailed me a check exactly the same amount ( over $3000) whatever I wrote down, no question asked. It was quick and easy.

The 2nd time just months ago, flew out from S.U.V., back to US. After arriving at my residence I found out some items ( Chinese silk jacket, figurunes) missing from my luggage. Didn't try to file a claim cos it was too late and it was not much great values ( less than $400). But it's good to warn others.