Driving In Switzerland

I am planning a car trip to Switzerland, 3 adults and 3 kids (below 4 y.o). Is it legal to drive there on a regular (5 seat) car? Would they let me in at the border (coming from Italy)? Please only informed answers. Few Italians for instance know that it is perfectly legal in Italy (if you can read Italian and you go to the poliziadistato.it official website, at the page pds/faq_new/index.php?idr=175&idcat=182&id=456 the question number 11 precisely states so). I know in Italy this law is not so much in the open, but at the end it is legal. How about Switzerland?

matcube

In Switzerland, there are two legal aspects to consider in your case:

1. The number of persons in the vehicle must not exceed the authorized number.

2. In seats provided with a seat belt, children below 7 years must be in an approved children’s seat.

Your post gives the impression that you read Italian, in which case you can find the respective clauses in Ordinanza sulle norme della circolazione stradale, Art. 60, para. 2 and Art. 3a, para. 4

No exception like the one you cited for Italy exists in Switzerland.

--

Maestro

Thanks Maestro.

I have no problem with the children's seats, just the number of people. If I try to drive in, would they stop me at the border? Can the extra person just walk through it and be picked up 500 meters after the border?

matcube

Thanks Maestro.

I have no problem with the children's seats, just the number of people. If I try to drive in, would they stop me at the border? Can the extra person just walk through it and be picked up 500 meters after the border?

matcube

You can even get stopped by police 501 m after the border