Drivers Handbook Of The Road

chiang mai

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the Thai version of the Highway Code handbook, printed in Thai? There's an English version here but am looking for a copy for my Thai wife.

Thanks

http://geocities.com/bkkriders/law/handbook/index.html

I would suggest that your wife writes her own 'Highway Code handbook' as it seems that everybody else has their own views on 'How to drive' especially the motorcyclists - anything goes for them! plus the crazy pickup drivers. The only directions that I've not seen them approaching from have been out of the ground and falling from the sky.

Having read the English version, does any of it make any sense to you and did you glean anything that might help whilst driving here in Thailand? That was not a flippant question either!

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the Thai version of the Highway Code handbook, printed in Thai? There's an English version here but am looking for a copy for my Thai wife.

Thanks

I would suggest that your wife writes her own 'Highway Code handbook' as it seems that everybody else has their own views on 'How to drive' especially the motorcyclists - anything goes for them! plus the crazy pickup drivers. The only directions that I've not seen them approaching from have been out of the ground and falling from the sky.

Having read the English version, does any of it make any sense to you and did you glean anything that might help whilst driving here in Thailand? That was not a flippant question either!

Point taken but for some one who is learning how to drive from scratch I reckon they should try to get as much information as possible - not bothering to try to understand how things should work is no excuse for failure. Stopping distance charts are useful to understand for newbies as are the intended definitions of road markings.

Thanks

Point taken but for some one who is learning how to drive from scratch I reckon they should try to get as much information as possible - not bothering to try to understand how things should work is no excuse for failure. Stopping distance charts are useful to understand for newbies as are the intended definitions of road markings.

Exactly, we can all learn something every day no matter where we are driving and I will now go out and buy the English version of the Highway code handbook to see what it contains. I trust that your wife has many happy and safe years of driving. Not a bad idea, to take her out somewhere nice and quiet and let her 'feel' the stopping distances for herself - nothing like experience at the end of the day and emergency stopping is not the kind of thing that you want to find out about for the first time when it's for real - frightening for anybody - no matter how experienced you are.

Again safe driving for all TV people.

• 2 weeks later...

:o Here is the Phuket version taken from My Phuket Magazine:

When Westerners complain about the driving habits in Phuket, locals usually reply that this is because foreigners are simply not used to the driving style here. They are absolutely right. So in order for you to blend in with the locals on the roads of Phuket, here's a guide to the essentials of elegant driving in Phuket.

I. Don't signal too early

When turning, make sure that you never signal your intention until AFTER you have performed the turn. If other drivers know your intentions in advance, they may try to squeeze past you - on either side - before you turn. So keep 'em guessing.

2. The fast lane is not where you thought

In most countries where you drive on the left, the right-hand lane of a major road is usually considered the fast lane. In Phuket, however, the fast lane is to the left. The reason for this is that Somboon and his rusty pickup truck full of porkkers knows that he will eventually turn right for the slaughterhouse 25 kilommeters ahead. He therefore occupies the right-hand lane, driving at 8 kilometres an hour.

3. Malcolm in the middle

Having two lanes to choose from is confusing for many people. If this is your problem, then place you car firmly in the middle, straddling the dotted line. This way it's easier to follow the road without

clipping the edges.

Driving in the middle also gives you unlimited possibilities for planning your route. Since you block all the cars behind you, the whole road in front of you is clear.

4. Never look to the right

When pulling out from a sideestreet, there is no need to look right to check whether a vehicle is approaching. Looking right is a very complicated maneuver and could distract you from making the actual turn.

Don't worry about the 3D-ton truck coming from the right. He is used to this and will simply thunder over to the opposite lane to avoid hitting you. If you can't hear what he is screaming over the sound of tortured rubber, you can safely assume it's a compliment on your graceful driving.

5.The big U

When making a U-turn, make sure you draw a very LARGE 'U' with your vehicle, as follows: Hit the brakes and go to the left, and then slowly turn to the right at a speed and angle at which you feel comfortable.As mentioned in Rule I above, do NOT signal your turn until after it's actually completed. This technique should also be employed when making an ordinary right turn.

6. Protect your helmet

Good advice for motorcyclists:

Helmets sold in Thailand are made of the same material used in beach buckets

and are for the protection of your walllet, not your head. So leave the helmet in the basket in front of you, or get your passenger to hold it.

Watch the local motorcyclists. They are able to smell a police checkpoint at 1,000 metres. If you notice them putting their helmets on, then follow suit (it's easy enough to do with your left hand) and keep the helmet on until you are through the road block.

Do NOT do up the strap. Should you have an accident while wearing your helmet, it will fly off your head and, with luck, land unscathed at the side of the road. A helmet costs 150 baht, so you don't want it to get damaged, do you?

7. Left is for wimps

When driving a motorbike you can safely ignore the rule stating that everyyone must drive on the left - that's just for tourists (which is also why so many traffic signs in Phuket are in English). To drive like a native, use the left, the right or the middle, or all three at once, depending on which is most convenient.

8. Semaphore for drivers

There is actually a law in Thailand that requires the motorbike passenger to use his or her arms to signal when turning left or right.You are also allowed to do this if you have a well-seasoned car with less than perfect electronics. Just flap your hand outside the window when turning, making sure, once again, to obey Rule I, above.

Thanks

My GF got hers from her local driving school.

The Thai driving test itself seems to spend more time training/testing in the classroom, than in the car itself. :o