Learning A Trade In Thailand - How's That Work Then?

Jersey_UK

No, I am not thinking of a new career - nor to encourage the Missus :D

Just one of those things that occurred to me..........

I am not entirely sure how things work in the UK (or elsewhere in the west), but I beleive that folk start work for a firm as an apprentice and coupled with being taught stuff at work and hands on experiance they also attend a college for lessons (NVQ's ring a bell??).......and after some exams are then "qualified" (whether they be any good is of course another matter!).

Is it same same in Thailand? or do folk go to University first (like every other job seems to require :o ) or is a "Trade" just for poor people and picked up as folk go along whilst working with no formal Qualifications at the end and folk just trade (pun intended :D ) on their reputations?

In terms of the carpenters judging from folks who worked on my house I think it's just a case of if you can buy the tools then the job is yours!

My father is a trade carpenter has has been for the past nearly 50 years - I was given my first tool box with real tools in when I was 4! Although I didn't take up a career in it I am still very handy and can do pretty much any type of work with wood. So to see the utterly useless clowns working on my house was pretty heart breaking - particularly when they are working with such quality wood (red wood). :D

Unfortunately I didn't have the time or energy to do the work myself as I did the electrics to ensure no bodge it and leg it artist had to be used for them!! :o

That said the plumber we had was ok - not leaks or problems with any of the plumbing since built so can't complain. However his idea of installing a bath was 'interesting' to say the least, just plonk it down put the draining pipe and that was it! Not attached to nothing and barely level! So that was another job I had to do. :D

In short for most I think the quote 'all the gear - no idea' is very apt!

Skilled trades people come primarily from the Technical Colleges/schools which are all over the country. As in most countries, the students do tend to come from lower income families or ones who could not qualify academically for universites. These trade schools produce some very well trained tradesman, the best of which are usually snatched up by large companies to perform maintenace.

One area Thailand needs to improve is in the Apprentice to Journyman route once a person is hired. Many large companies have these programs but small/medium sized do not. It is a fact the construction industry employs too many untrained people to do the work of properly trained people. Many qualify because they are family or friends of the owner! As Sanpatong says you get what you pay for. If you are planning on building a house, make sure the builder has qualified (certificates) people especially in electrical, plumbing and welding areas.

Except here the blind lead the blind.

Anyone ever seen a master craftsman here? Uncrafty master technicians seem quite common!

There are some excellent craftsmen in Thailand. One of my friends in Singapore owns a large construction company and they employ a lot of labour from Thailand to build luxury homes, he is always fullsome in his praise of the craftsmen ship of his Thai employees.

So, I'd suggest that you don't use a sweeping and uninformed statement to bash Thais :o

Skilled trades people come primarily from the Technical Colleges/schools which are all over the country. As in most countries, the students do tend to come from lower income families or ones who could not qualify academically for universites. These trade schools produce some very well trained tradesman, the best of which are usually snatched up by large companies to perform maintenace.

One area Thailand needs to improve is in the Apprentice to Journyman route once a person is hired. Many large companies have these programs but small/medium sized do not. It is a fact the construction industry employs too many untrained people to do the work of properly trained people. Many qualify because they are family or friends of the owner! As Sanpatong says you get what you pay for. If you are planning on building a house, make sure the builder has qualified (certificates) people especially in electrical, plumbing and welding areas.

i think its a case of ,if your fathers a carpenter he will teach you ....

There are some excellent craftsmen in Thailand. One of my friends in Singapore owns a large construction company and they employ a lot of labour from Thailand to build luxury homes, he is always fullsome in his praise of the craftsmen ship of his Thai employees.

So, I'd suggest that you don't use a sweeping and uninformed statement to bash Thais

Well said.

I've worked on several large industrial construction projects in Thailand and have been nothing but impressed with the quality and diligence of Thai craftsmen.

When I compare my experiences of managing Thai craftsmen, technicians and engineers with that of managing their UK counterparts – Not only do the Thais do as good, if not better job, they also do it without the ‘Prima-Donna’ attitude you get in the UK.

So my view is that Thai workers are not only capable of world class work – but they have better than world class attitude to getting the job done.