Thai class

Wei

Loath as I am to promote a site like this, stickmanbangkok.com (I think that's the address) has a lengthy segment on language schools in Bangkok.

The daily newspapers usually carry advertisements from perople offering one-on-one instruction.

But I think the best thing is to befriend a Thai who has English but wants to improve it...or just to befriend a Thai, regardless of the English thing!

I think language instruction is over-rated. You can do most of it yourself, as long as you have someone who can help with pronunciation.

Bit of Info-

Sawatdee Khrab!" That is how we say hello in Thai. If you are a girl you will say "Sawatdee Kaa". When you are on holiday in Thailand, you will find many young people like me who can speak English. Most places you go to you won't have a problem. However, we like it a lot when we meet a foreigner who has tried to learn some Thai phrases. Most web sites and phrase books just write down the Thai words using Roman letters for you to try and read. That is a waste of time because Thai is a tonal language. You need to listen to native speakers. That is me, my teacher and friends! On every page you will be able to listen to us speaking Thai. Unlike some other websites, all lessons are 100% FREE! Click here if this is your first visit.

http://www.learningthai.com/

(with thanks to Martin-great site)

http://www.markoinbangkok.com/  :cool:  :cool:

Rinrada, that looks too much like an unpaid advertisement for my liking, especially as I've read the identical wording somewhere else.

In the same spirit, let me put in a plug for another Thai-language website, thai-language.com, where the people are just as helpful, Rinrada, and where they aren't trying to peddle language books.

Take the point but NOT meant as any form of advertisement but then isnt life all amout communication and sometimes there is a cost element which I try to spend my life Avoiding-Divorce-ouch,Dowry-never,bangkok Buses at 3.5 Bt-OK,beer around the pool at 40Bt a big one (leo)and reading the bangkok post in Hotel entrance forums for free.(just waiting for Khun Tom,Dick,Harry or Paibun-honest)

There are many thai language webs out there and I agree that

http://thai-language.com/ is a good site (also flog books)but I quite like the one I mentioned because of its related information>

http://www.sriwittayapaknam.ac.th/

-the wifes nieces (Som and Boo)attended this one and seems pretty good for general info.on the local primary school setups.

also

http://www.paknam.com/

When in LOS I live here and when we all get our Thai Passports and Citizenships I told the wife that I will stand for the local council (Thai-Luv-Farangs Party)and get rid of double pricing..did you see that flying pig???

Incid.the BIG Elephant museum has NO double pricing policy as well as the Old City and def.a great place to GO.>>

This is THAILAND at its BEST

PLACE: Erawan Elephant Museum

OPENING HOURS: Restricted opening until late 2002 when it will be officially opened.

ADMISSION: At present it is free.

http://www.paknam.com/erawan.html

PLACE: Wat Asokaram

LOCATION: Wat Aso is on Sukhumwit Road, about 6 kms from the city center.

OPENING HOURS: Daily

ADMISSION: Free

http://www.paknam.com/asokaram.html

To learn Thai for travel purposes it is most useful.-BBC Travel

Helpful advice about how to speak Thai. " Bangkok Post

website that takes advantage of Internet technology." -

The Nation

and as a survive and live guide...

sa-wat dee krup-gee baht krup-khor toat krup-lot noi dai mai krup-mai ow krup and finally.......mai ben rai KRUP.

:o  :cool:

Hahah thanks a lot for the tips guys! I do agree that it will be easier to befriend with a Thai, but was thinking on learning how to read and write as well since I will be posted here for some time. Dead serious about learning Thai. Just dont want anymore hassles in explaining why I don't speak Thai when I look so Thai :o

Rinrada, that looks too much like an unpaid advertisement for my liking, especially as I've read the identical wording somewhere else.
Surely if we see something good then we should let others know about it (especially if it is not off topic). A lot of the discussions on this board involve recomendations of services one way or another.

If the poster is in any way connected to the said product/service then I would think it appropriate that they indicate this.

This is THAILAND at its BEST

Also a good idea that the board promotes tourism that does not have double pricing. I think I'll start a new thread..

jumping-smiley-017.gif

Wei,

I agree with other posters it is the best to learn Thai by yourself, it probably produces results more quickly than going to a language school.

The method I employed was dead simple but proved to be very effective: every day I learned 10 new words, and I rehearsed the old words I had already learned. It was a matter of sitting and thinking, what new words would I like to learn now? This way you start with words like woman, food and work that you need continuously, and half a year later you are learning words like stability ,democracy, and binoculars that you need far less frequently.

It is essential to speak Thai as often as possible, try to cut out speaking English whilst socializing with Thai people as quickly as you can. Practice is the best language school, you learn whilst listening to the people.

As far as learning to read Thai is concerned, I am still sorry to have waited about 6 years before doing that. Already being able to speak Thai, it proved to be amazingly easy to learn to read, it is only an alphabet you have to memorize, plus there is a limited number of rules you need to know such as pronounciation of certain combinations of vowels.

Agree with Keestha and just about everybody else here. If you are starting from scratch, then you are best to learn the Thai script it will help no-end with the pronounciation (once you master it). You can use Keestha's method of ten words after you have mastered the alphabet. I used a similar method. I bought a small ringbound notepad and divided each page into 3 columns.

I also bought the what I thinks is the best Thai-English-Thai dictionary there is (ISBN: 1887521143 by Paiboon Publishing) as this gives three sections English (to Thai script and transliteration), Transliteration (to English and Thai Script) and Thai (to English and transliteration) - sorry if this sounds like a plug, but I don't own the company, just about 20 Thai dictionaries and this is the best of the lot!

Using the Dictionary, write the Thai script in col 1, the Transliteration in Col 2 and the english in Col 3.

I did two pages a week (about twenty words or so) in groups/opposits etc (eg:Walk,Run,Start,Stop,Sit,Stand,etc).  

Learn to say the words by reading aloud col 1 and then giving the English. Only use the transliteration to get you started (first few times) and as a memory jogger when you get stuck.

At the same time, you need to get started on the grammar. A good book is best for this - there are several to choose from - web sites are great, but you can't take them with you to the loo etc!

Most people I know did not do well in courses, most learnt from a book with their Thai partners help. Never did a course myself though.

Chok-Dee :o

It goes without saying that different strokes work for different folks.

Vocabulary lists did not work for me as I found myself getting fixated about particular words. I'd keep forgetting them, then I'd develop a mental block, at which point they would be virtually unlearnable.

However, in the early stages I did make heaps of notes. Learning to read was the biggest advance, though, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Spend too much time on transliterated stuff (Thai words written in English) and you start visualising words by the English spelling you gave them, which is no good, as some things cannot be captured accurately that way.

I do not agree, however, that learning to read is a snap. It isn't: there are many rules involved, and I find that only by reading constantly do you manage to keep them fresh in your mind.

I study Thai as a hobby, and go into it far more deeply than is needed for everyday conversation. Still, it isn't easy!

Finally, I would urge you to get out and speak. It's the easiest and (in my view) the most effective way to learn. The more you speak, the better your ear gets, and the more you can pick up just by listening.

If you have a good ear ie if you can understand what people are saying, you can reply to people, and hold decent conversations: until you develop a good ear, however, life can be wretched.

Another bonus is that you learn to appreciate just how beautiful the Thai language is.

Sorry if that sounds a bit fruity for hard-core expatriates. Those are my views, for what they are worth.

Sorry if that sounds a bit fruity for hard-core expatriates. Those are my views, for what they are worth.

Worth as much as everybody else's I'd say, mrentoul. Agree  if you have Thai friends then talk to them in Thai (you will struggle to get them to understand, and you will get laughs, but persevere). If you don't know any Thais, pop along to your local temple, Monks always seem happy to stop for a chat. One thing I would add, mainly as it was a problem for me, is when talking in Thai, try not to talk too fast. I found (and still find) that I often talked too fast (Panic?) and could not be understood.

Rinrada, that looks too much like an unpaid advertisement for my liking, especially as I've read the identical wording somewhere else. In the same spirit, let me put in a plug for another Thai-language website, thai-language.com, where the people are just as helpful, Rinrada, and where they aren't trying to peddle language books.

Well, Mr. Mrentoul, I was about to suggest a language school in Bangkok that I have used with much success as well as a few books. If I do that, will you accuse me too of unpaid advertising?

You know, I find it strange. I have read your posts on these forums and on other web sites too. I have seen you "put in a plug" for thailanguage.com at least TEN times. For someone who likes this web site so much, I don't really understand how you don't know that thailanguage.com also sells books (they get a commission from amazon.com) and that on the top of every page there is a "donate" button where the web site owners keep asking visitors to send them a cash donation. (I have nothing against them as I know how much it costs to maintain a site of that size).

It makes me wonder that maybe you are the webmaster or at least you are receiving commission from them!

I await your permission to post again on what I think are the best resources for learning Thai inside Thailand.

Permission to post? Oh just post it  :o It's always good to get recomendation from people who experienced.  

Pronounciation is one thing, intonation is another. If I am not mistaken I think there are 5 of it. Sometimes you will be amazed how different tone carries DIFFERENT meaning. Have two thai friends who I live with, their English is not so good, so the only language we all seem to be improving is sign language! hahaha...  :laugh:

I will check out the pocket dictionary and do what keestha said.

Thanks a lot ppl!

For someone who likes this web site so much, I don't really understand how you don't know that thailanguage.com also sells books  
Actually, I didn't, probably because I don't buy books from them. At the other site the webmaster is always plugging books he's bought in and wants to sell; at thai-language.com I've seen nary a mention. But so what?
It makes me wonder that maybe you are the webmaster or at least you are receiving commission from them!

The cheque must be in the post!

I await your permission to post again on what I think are the best resources for learning Thai inside Thailand.

No need to get so touchy. I, too, have seen your posts, and you seem to leave them at learningthai.com rather than thai-language.com.

Everyone has their preferences, don't they ''Jackie Chan''!

I made my original comments in response to a post which appeared to have been lifted almost word for word from another site. For a while I couldn't figure out where, until I remember I'd seen it at the site you seem so keen on.

If you were the reader, wouldn't you get suspicious if you saw two posts so similar? I think you would. Here's an extract from the original post, which is actually taken (ie copied) from the home page at learningthai.com:

''Most web sites and phrase books just write down the Thai words using Roman letters for you to try and read. That is a waste of time because Thai is a tonal language. You need to listen to native speakers. That is me, my teacher and friends! On every page you will be able to listen to us speaking Thai. Unlike some other websites, all lessons are 100% FREE! Click here if this is your first visit.''

Look at all the references to rival websites! If that's not an advertisement, I don't know what is. Elsewhere on the site the webmaster refers to himself as Thailand's most internet savvy teenager, or words to that effect. I think if you spoke to the young man concerned he'd agree that he was a remorseless self-plugger...and why not?

Jackie Chan, I can't recall plugging thai-language.com 10 times, as you put it...I tend to assume people will find their own way to language sites on the Net if they are really interested.

For your information, I read learningthai.com regularly as well. I think both sites are useful...though I notice you seem to post at only one of them.

Good reply Mr. Mrentoul!

It was probably a good move that you came back a couple of hours later to edit your post. I am so glad I no longer have to "piss off" and go back to "studying" my books!!! Talk about touchy. Why were you so upset? I was only joking with you in my post!

Anyway, who do you think I am? A spotty school boy? And what troops do I have to run back to and rally? You really got me confused with the first draft of your post. I am so happy you decided to edit it.

I think you misunderstood my intention of replying. In my post, I didn't promote any web site like you said in your first draft.  My point was that your attitude might prevent other people from suggesting their favorite resources. This would be a shame. (Myself, I like thai-language.com as it has a very good online dictionary. I always recommend this site to everyone.)

And what is this learning-thai.com web site you keep going on about? I tried to open it just now and it doesn't seem to work. Do you mean learningthai.com?

Are you sure this whole thing is not a dream? How many fingers am I holding up (no, not two).

(Mr. Mrentoul, I am only joking with you. Don't take life so seriously. Let's have a chat over a beer tonight. Soi Cowboy? You name the place.)

Thanks for your gracious response.

I thought this bit was funny:

It was probably a good move that you came back a couple of hours later to edit your post. I am so glad I no longer have to "piss off" and go back to "studying" my books!!
Readers who did not spot the first one will be wondering what I said.
And what is this learning-thai.com web site you keep going on about? I tried to open it just now and it doesn't seem to work. Do you mean learningthai.com?

Oops. Yes. I'll go back to the original and correct that.

Don't take life so seriously. Let's have a chat over a beer tonight. Soi Cowboy? You name the place

That's a sweet offer. I would prefer to meet you on Pra Ram 4, in front of the old Thai Bank, close to Tanon Na Ranong in Klong Toey. I know that sounds like a mouthful.

If you're still interested, PM me and I'll send you my cellphone number. Believe it or not, I had to ring someone to find out what it was.

If the offer was made in jest - sometimes I'm not too good at telling the difference, as you rightly point out - thank-you for the thought, anyway.

Mr. Mrentoul, thanks for your calm reply. (Though I wish you would drop the habit of editing your posts while I am in the middle of reading them! You just did it to me again by adding more stuff and I had to start reading again. I have to be careful as we don't want people to be confused by my replies to you!)

The offer wasn't made in jest though to be honest I wrote it as a kind of test to see what kind of person you are. I am glad to say you passed and I would be happy to share a drink with you at a later date. Some of the comments you made earlier were interesting and I agree with a lot you say. I think we could have a good discussion.

I look forward to chatting with you later elsewhere on this board (presuming we have now done with this topic!).

Some of the comments you made earlier were interesting and I agree with a lot you say. I think we could have a good discussion. I look forward to chatting with you later elsewhere on this board (presuming we have now done with this topic!).

Sounds good! Let me know when and I'll bring my drinking gear.

If you are serious about learning Thai, then you MUST learn the script. If you don't you will never be able to pronounce Thai words correctly, including isolating and pronouncing each syllable correctly, and will be severly limited in learning new words on your own. If you can read Thai script, then you can have a good go at getting the pronounciation right without consulting a Thai; transliteration is a very rough guide to pronounication.

Here is a simple analogy: how far would a Thai student progress in English if he/she did not learn and use the Roman Alphabet? No very far, I'm afraid. Once you learn the Thai script, you then have access to all the language resources a Thai has in learning English, including some rather brilliant dictionaries.

Finally, learning Thai is a long and winding road; don't expect instant success, unless you have an aptitude for languages. Coming from another Asian country may help.

A friend told me that the best way of learning a language is to find a boy/girlfriend who speaks it!  hehehe  :o

If not, all the others have already given you loads of useful advice.  

I wish my husband was more enthusiastic about learning Thai!  ???

D80,

A friend told me that the best way of learning a language is to find a boy/girlfriend who speaks it!

I know this was in jest, but if I may...

In my experience this is the worst way to learn. The Thai will quickly learn pidgeon English and the farang will learn to use the odd Thai word (usually nouns or the odd verb like 'bai') interspersed in English grammar and they will 'make do'. This is a very hard rut to get out of. My wife an I fell into this, and though we can now speak each other's language we still have a habbit of mixing the languages. For example we went to a BBQ yesterday. Many of the guests were Thai or non-Thai speaking farangs. We had them all in stitches as we talked to each other using mixed languages - starting the sentance in English and ending it in Thai or vica-versa.

It can also be dangerous. When in the UK we tend to switch certain words or comments in to Thai as a safety barrier for example any words to do with sex, sexual parts or possibly insulting comments - fat, ugly etc). It gives a very false sence of protection, especially when commenting on other people (go on admit it we all do), and can back fire dramatically when the person in question's Thai spouse is sitting next to you! :o

Its also hard to get out of the habbit when in LOS too!!!

If you are serious about learning Thai, then you MUST learn the script. If you don't you will never be able to pronounce Thai words correctly
Once you learn the Thai script, you then have access to all the language resources a Thai has in learning English, including some rather brilliant dictionaries.

I have been saying this stuff myself for what seems a very long time. I am pleased someone else has now said it for me.

I do not agree with people who say ''walking dictionaries'' (Thai girlfriends, boyfriends) are a bad idea. I get to hear Thai every day, thanks to the Thai I live with. That's invaluable, I am afraid, and no substitute for any amount of book-learning, TV-watching or whatever.

I don't have to reply in Thai: most of the time I use English, and he uses his own language. You do not necessarily descend into a poorer version of either language.

Glad you didn't fall into the same trap then Mrentoul. Unfortunatly, I did and I've seen many other do the same. We now have our own language Anglo-Thai! :o

Also, nearly everyone (farang that is) tries to supress their accent by talking monotone too. This may help the Thais learn the language without thinking tonally, but is another hard habbit to crack.

My farang aunt thinks that a 3 second gap between words and 80 decibels help too! Sort of like you might talk to a deaf 3 year old perhaps. Embarasses the 4-hashes out of my wife who speaks English practically fluently.

Of course Thai has many English words: computer, TV, slope, wonderful (thanks Jonas), care, dump, air, tour, etc, etc. So maybe Thais are already talking Anglo-Thai?  :o

Thai emphasises each syllable distinctly while English flows the syllables into each other, which also makes learning the "other" language difficult, whether you are Thai or an English speaker, and the nasty "l" replaced by "r" and vise versa habit of Thais is a difficult habit to kick!

Try this on your Thai parners, ask them to say "Yellow lorry, red lorry."  :D

There is a lot more to it than that. Buy some books on Thai grammar/learning Thai. Then you can start to progress on that long winding road...

My Thai language learning accelerated when I had Thai kids. You pick up the words they learn, not to mention repeating the Thai alphabet. Gor Kai, Kor Khai, Kor Kwat, Kor Kwai... Nung, song, sarm, see, har. How fingers have I got? Don't know! Hum, har. Oh! Thus being immersed in native speakers helps alot, but you need to back it up with formal learning (grammar, looking up what words really mean in a Thai dictionary).

I never took any lessons, but I hear it does speed things along.

Getting your thai partner to teach you thai, I have found, is a really bad idea, I have had so many fights with the b/f about this, usually resulting in me telling him that his language is stupid & throwing whatever teaching aid, (book, notepad etc) across the room that we have now just given up. English is mostly spoken in our house now & for the sake of a happy home we accept that this is the way it must be for now.

I would still like to learn more thai but find that I have a major problem with the tones, & have decided that a teacher is the best course of action for me, learning many words is not a problem & getting b/f to listen & correct me on them is ok but full sentances & harder grammar I leave at the front door.

I think everyone needs to find the best way for them even if it involves trying many different routes before settling on one that suits you.

Good luck to everyone with trying to learn & keep posting what you've found as your best option as maybe there will be something suggested that others haven't though of. :o