Govt House-to-house Insecticide Spraying In Roi-et

chevykanteve

Twice in the past two weeks our house (and every other one on the block) has been sprayed, upstairs and downstairs, in order to kill mosquitoes. I understand the reason: there is a dengue fever outbreak where I live. I have no objection to the spraying, but I am curious concerning the poison used. Like, what is it, exactly? Its effects are definitely immediate, in that dead cockroaches appear everywhere within about 20 minutes of the spraying. The spray consists of a smoke emitted from a 4 foot long "gun" of sorts. The "sprayers" wear masks and goggles.

Any insecticide-savy people out there??

This website gives a good description of the chemicals used in fogging applications. http://www.searo.who.int/EN/Section10/Sect...ion554_2569.htm

It lists Insecticide formulations for space sprays near the bottom of the page.

For safety precautions and treatment see http://www.searo.who.int/EN/Section10/Sect...ion554_2542.htm

Excellent, Farma. Thank you!

Does the gov't in Roiet spray everyone's house inside.....here in the north in my village they only spray the garden.

Anyone else in Roiet have the interior of their home sprayed by the gov't?

I live in a village not far from Roiet Town. The gov't has not sprayed inside any houses here. Six months ago when two kids came down with dengue they came out and sprayed in green areas but not inside houses.

Everyone's house on my street was sprayed. The yards were also sprayed. I'm in THE central area of Phontong District, which is the heart of a current dengue-fever outbreak. Several children on my street are in hospital.

This part of Roi-Et is infamous for two things, disease-wise: 1) dengue fever (almost every year), and; 2) AIDS (contracted largely from sex, no symptoms for 10 years, then two years of symptoms followed by death).

Everyone's house on my street was sprayed. The yards were also sprayed. I'm in THE central area of Phontong District, which is the heart of a current dengue-fever outbreak. Several children on my street are in hospital.

This part of Roi-Et is infamous for two things, disease-wise: 1) dengue fever (almost every year), and; 2) AIDS (contracted largely from sex, no symptoms for 10 years, then two years of symptoms followed by death).

The gov't reacts PDQ when they hear of a dengue outbreak. Not sure how much good all the spraying does but shows the locals the gov't is doing their job. Ugly stuff AIDS. Thailand had done a pretty good job in curbing it but I'm afraid they are slacking off these days. Reckon as long as locals have this aversion to using condoms things won't change. Don't know the situation in Phontong but majority of AIDS cases here are passed on to wives from their fool around boy friends or husbands.

Edited by roietjimmy

The gov't reacts PDQ when they hear of a dengue outbreak. Not sure how much good all the spraying does but shows the locals the gov't is doing their job. Ugly stuff AIDS. Thailand had done a pretty good job in curbing it but I'm afraid they are slacking off these days. Reckon as long as locals have this aversion to using condoms things won't change. Don't know the situation in Phontong but majority of AIDS cases here are passed on to wives from their fool around boy friends or husbands.

RE spraying: it definitely keeps the insects away for a week or ten days. Incidentally, have you tried one of those uv lamps that attract and then zap flying insects? I bought one before; it worked fine for six months or so, then the insects seemed to lose interest in it, almost as if there was a learning-curve involved????!!!!

RE Aids: I'm told it's contracted here almost exclusively through sexual intercourse. And yes, many housewives are victims.

Incidentally, have you tried one of those uv lamps that attract and then zap flying insects? I bought one before; it worked fine for six months or so, then the insects seemed to lose interest in it, almost as if there was a learning-curve involved????!!!!

I have used the UV lamps. Work pretty good but same as you seem to lose effectiveness over time. Not sure whether the bugs are getting smarter or the bulb is getting weaker. The mosquitoes were not attracted to the UV so doesn't help re dengue. I bought 2 of those little electrified badminton racquets and just turn the kids loose in the garden. Kids love it but doesn't make much of a dent in the bug population.

Have you noticed the Thai mosquitoes are stealthy little buggers? Unlike their bigger cousins in North America who attack in flying squadrons these boys hide during the day and crawl out at night on their bellies to find an exposed bit of your skin. One only knows they are around when the itch starts and by then it is too late to wack em. I have found that mosquitoe netting around the bed seems to be the most effective in keeping them away when sleeping.

According to theinfo Ihave read, dengue is only spread by day time feeding mosquitos.

Yes, that's what I've heard. Dengue is spread by day by the so-called AEDES mosquito. Malaria is spread at dusk and night by the ANOPHOLES mosquito. Fortunately, I've never heard of any Malaria in Roi-Et (they get it up in Mukhdahan sometimes).

And to Jimmyroiet:yes, they certainly are stealthy little s-o-bs! The ones in California seem totally harmless compared to this lot over here! Incidentally, you have a good point concerning the life of the uv lamp. I'll replace mine at the first opportunity and see if that helps things.

The UV lamp zappers are more efficient at attracting bugs than killing them,it is better to site them away from your house rather than in close proximity.

If you have a neighbour you dont particularly like,you buy them one,the bugs then go to their place. :o