True Internet - International Backbone Failure This Morning

youngkiwi

I started experiencing problems browsing international sites using True Internet broadband this morning. I can access Thai sites without any issues and the problem is not DNS related. I finally managed to get hold of someone at True who confirmed there has been a link failure to one of their international bandwidth providers so international bandwidth is currently compromised. I am still able to access international sites but very, very slowly. Let's hope they fix this quickly.

Yep. Down indeed. Even mail.yahoo.com is unreachable.

Weather is nice, you're up to a good day of work. Mood is up. You arrive at office... and plouf : no more international connectivity.

Suddendly... you feel so miserable.

How did we live before Internet ? I don't even dare to remember. :o

I sometimes have international problems for 10/20 mins at a time, not all days, but enough to p*ss me off.

It's still better now than it was a few months ago though.

You can check the international status link a previous poster gave.

Hmm, even Thaivisa is very slow for me. Took several minutes to load this thread, while the norm is to load in a few seconds. International sites all take several minutes. Local sites of course load instantly. The network status page seems to be pretty much useless, as it shows all the links are up and operational, even though in reality it doesn't seem to be that way.

Cannot get my mails from the server in the Netherlands, constant timeouts. I have some important emails that need answering. Have had 2 calls already. Apart from nation and thaivisa, nothing works :o Has been all day sofar.

Normally I never have any problems with True, I have a good fast connection.

Waerth

Edited by WAERTH

In the Makkasan area of New Petchburi Road we were without internet for more than six hours (from around 8.30am). I'm not sure if this is related to the problems experienced elsewhere but it's been okay (touch wood) since about 3pm.

Gunplay Blamed for Internet Slowdown

Internet service providers experienced a service slowdown today after fiber-optic cables near Cleveland were apparently sabotaged by gunfire.

Internet service providers in the U.S. experienced a service slowdown Monday after fiber-optic cables near Cleveland were apparently sabotaged by gunfire.

TeliaSonera AB, which lost the northern leg of its U.S. network to the cut, said that the outage began around 7 p.m. Pacific Time on Sunday night. When technicians pulled up the affected cable, it appeared to have been shot. "Somebody had been shooting with a gun or a shotgun into the cable," said Anders Olausson, a TeliaSonera spokesman.

The damage affected a large span of cable, more than two-thirds of a mile [1.1 km] long, near Cleveland, TeliaSonera said.

The company declined to name the service provider whose lines had been cut, but a source familiar with the situation said the lines are owned by Level 3 Communications Inc. Level 3 could not be reached immediately for comment.

Cogent Communications Inc. warned that some customers may be experiencing disruptions because network lines had been cut somewhere between Montville, Ohio, and Cleveland. "Splice crews are currently doing preparation work on the new fiber cable before splicing begins to resolve the outage," Cogent said in a note to customers.

According to Keynote Systems Inc.'s Internet Pulse Report, Cogent was experiencing significant latency problems on Monday.

The outage caused headaches for Christopher McCoy, a system administrator for a Web hosting company in Atlanta. "This Telia outage is really causing a pain," he wrote in a blog posting. "Telia is one of my company's main network providers, and explaining to your average Webmaster the details and specifics of a fiber break isn't all that easy.

IDG News Service

Guest Reimar

Until 20 min ago I wasn't able to open any site but at same time I was able to ping and tracert at normal speed to TV (50 ms) butn slow speed to sites to Europe or the US!

Now seems to be back normal.

I'm at TRUE 2560/512 at Samut Parakern.

Seems to be solved now. Getting the usual speeds of True.

me not yet back to normal...

Thaivisa speed test:-

Download Speed: 280 kbps (35 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 179 kbps (22.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

im on true 2.5 Mbpa