Thai Teens Tune Out On Tv

Mid

Thai teens tune out on TV

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 at 09:10

Bangkok (dpa) - Thai teens have shifted from TV to the internet and their mobile phones as the screens that they "can't live without," a recent market survey revealed Tuesday.

snip

However, while the internet and mobile phones are now Thai teens preferred screens for communications, TV remains the top medium for advertising.

It seems that teens tend to be disappointed when an incoming message on their hand phone turns out to be an ad.

"When the message tone is beeping, it's like giving me hope that my friend or someone is sending me a message," one female university student told the McCann Worldgroup survey. "But when I read 3 messages from a mobile operator I feel so sad."

eux.tv

I really doubt they have given up on the nightly soap operas on channel 3 and 7. Most kids in the countryside don't have computers. I wonder how many even have mobile phones. Some of the reporters that create these stories have never left Bangkok. Have you heard the saying 'Bangkok is right next to Thailand'?

Let me create my own story, umm Oh I got it. 'Thai teens just love driving their BMWs and Mercedes Benzs around Thailand' or how about ' Thai teens would rather be American than Thai' These are just as reasonable as Thai teens rejecting TV for mobile phones and computers. Oh course, lots of rich kids probably spend more time on the net than watching their UBC series and the Thai stations. Most Thai kids don't have the luxuries the business guy from Ericson thinks they do.

Well if this is true then the censor boards better get on it right away. Its for their own good. This sort of freedom of chioce must be conterolled. Pretty soon people will start to think they can do anything they want. Lord knows there is no choice of programs on Thai TV, and see how well thats working. :o