Hello all,

Just a quick question ..

I've heard some rumours that the date on the entery stamp means that you will have to leave Thailand before that date. I always thought that this was the last day you were allowed to be in Thailand, ie that you had to leave the country on that day.

Could anybody clarify this ?

I know it sounds trivial but in my case it makes a difference of 1 week as on Monday 2nd August everything is closed and on Friday 30 everything in Malaysia is closed as well.

Thanks for the info.

Peter.

... board a plane .....

though thisquestion might sound a little academic, but: In case you fly out of Thailand at 01 in the morning the day after expiration, will you have to pay an overstay? (As you will probably cross immigration counter before midnight in this scenario?)

Or. What happens in the case your plane at Don Muang is delayed for some hours (leaving 04 in the morning instead of 11 pm scheduled?) Or your plane is cancelled, and the airline changes your boking to the next day?

Sunny

Borderline case.

oK, I should not have said 'board a plane'. Technically, you left the country once you passed through immigration.

So you get your departure chop at 11:45 for your 1:00 am departure. Believe that is ok, but a bit more difficult to get a boarding pass for a 6:00 am - flight before midnight the night before, when checking in in BKK.

As said, once you passed through immigration and reached the transit room or departure area, you left the country and your visa is used. If your plane is delayed and the airline decides to put you into a hotel you will have to pass through immigration again, get a new entry. (Perhaps 30 days visa exempted).

If you don't qualify for such and neither for visa on arrival, you might be put up into the transit area to get a nice sleep on the plastic chairs.

PS: Sunny, yes it is a bit academic. But let's say you arrive at the airport and find out your flight is cancelled and you are rebooked for next day, than you are technically on overstay. No fine payable, as the first day is free but, academically, the immigration officers could say, it is your job to leave on time, they are not responsible for any airlines' delay.

In practice? Happens next to never, I say.