Can Foreigners Be Travel Guides?

Choscura

I'm just curious if foreigners can be tour guides. I'm not really looking for a job in this, but I'm curious because I've never seen one and I've never gotten expat-useful advice from a thai travel guide, and it seems like the expats from whatever country would be more likely to be able to help their countrymen/women know where to go to get the best <insert noun here> in a given area. I could have used this kind of advice when i first got here, where to get a hamburger and a cup of coffee and so on.

anyway, does this exist? magazines/publications don't count.

thanks in advance.

Rubbish, foreigners can be travel guides. Why ? because I had a mate doing it for the last 6 years. WP and visa all legit.

You do have to be a little clever on the wording but acting as tour guides is certainly possible.

One company which actively recruits is Intrepid Travel. The pay is not massive but you do get allowances and tips from your guests on top of some benefits from establishments which you choose to frequent.

As I understand it 'Tour Guides' are restricted to Thais. Certification is needed.

But as we all know, enforcement of this, although existant, cannot stop those who choose to operate outside of the guidelines (non-certified Thais, or Foreigner Guides). Currently making headlines in Phuket is the illegal Korean tour guide issue.

A foreigner can be a 'Tour Leader'. Perhaps this is the category that the above poster's friend fit into.

Of course, you can also be the proprietor of the company. Outside of training, the guiding should be restricted to those that qualify under Thai regulations.

Interesting subject . If it is true , I would be very capable to do a job like this , it is one of my former jobs(outside of Thailand).

For what I thought it was a restricted job for foreigners , is that also when you are working for a foreign company?

I am really getting bored with the jobs available what we foreigners can do or allowed to in Thailand.

If the truth is we can have this job opportunity it would enlighten my prospects :o but I doubt it is possible

in the legal framework.

Is the OP not talking more about a "Re-Location" consultant rather than as Tour Guide of its about expats rather than temporary visitors.

I am pretty certain they have foreign people doing that - I think Sunbelt had a business for sale doing this a while back.

We certainly use them in other Asia countries and I would guess we do in Thailand too - I mean they do sort of nanny you and mine even sorted out bank accounts, phone lines, insurance plus a whole host of other items here in Singapore - the dear old Aunt even drove me around for a week :o

100% yes.

I have held a work permit for the last 4 years as marine tour guide. The wording is quite drawn out on the permit but am allowed to liase with customers onshore, walk them to a boat, and accompany them for the duration of the day. I don't suppose the word "guide" is actually used but it is certainly what I have done.

Any semi decent lawyer will get you a work permit for any activity you desire.

Restricted occupations

A Royal Decree in 1973 listed 39 occupations that were then closed to aliens. This list has been amended on several occasions by subsequent Royal Decrees, the latest one in 1979. Prohibited occupations are:

• Labour

• Work in agriculture, animal breeding, forestry, fishery or general farm supervision

<snip>

Tourist guide or tour organising agency

• Architectural work

• Civil engineering work

I have held a work permit for the last 4 years as marine tour guide. The wording is quite drawn out on the permit but am allowed to liase with customers onshore, walk them to a boat, and accompany them for the duration of the day. I don't suppose the word "guide" is actually used ...

Take care you don't annoy any would-be Thai 'marine tour guides' :o

Currently making headlines in Phuket is the illegal Korean tour guide issue.

I'm sure they'll get around to farangs one day. :D

I'm just curious if foreigners can be tour guides. I'm not really looking for a job in this, but I'm curious because I've never seen one and I've never gotten expat-useful advice from a thai travel guide, and it seems like the expats from whatever country would be more likely to be able to help their countrymen/women know where to go to get the best <insert noun here> in a given area. I could have used this kind of advice when i first got here, where to get a hamburger and a cup of coffee and so on.

anyway, does this exist? magazines/publications don't count.

thanks in advance.

lm quite sure its possible, l know a couple of chinese guys doing it in Pattaya pretty sure they have work permits aswell

Rubbish, foreigners can be travel guides. Why ? because I had a mate doing it for the last 6 years. WP and visa all legit.

You do have to be a little clever on the wording but acting as tour guides is certainly possible.

One company which actively recruits is Intrepid Travel. The pay is not massive but you do get allowances and tips from your guests on top of some benefits from establishments which you choose to frequent.

in samui there are a lot,weather they have a work permit is another matter....

I have seen European companies send "Tour Managers" who interact with Thai Guides but who also never "work" as such, as they recieve no "Thai" salary. If one understands No You Can not along with Well, in a way you can apart from the fact you cannot, one could be well underway.... :o

Interesting subject . If it is true , I would be very capable to do a job like this , it is one of my former jobs(outside of Thailand).

For what I thought it was a restricted job for foreigners , is that also when you are working for a foreign company?

I am really getting bored with the jobs available what we foreigners can do or allowed to in Thailand.

If the truth is we can have this job opportunity it would enlighten my prospects :o but I doubt it is possible

in the legal framework.

I don't think people are likely to get lost in nana plaza.

Copied from the Intrepid Travel website:

* Able to work overseas for a pre-determined length of time (usually 18 months).

* Current passport.

* Applicants applying to work in Europe must hold an EU/British Passport or independently obtained work permit valid for 2 years.

* Applicants applying to work in Japan must hold an independently obtained work permit valid for 2 years.

* Due to Thai law we can only employ Thai nationals to lead our Thailand trips.