Question For Beer Connoisseurs

coconut

A few days ago on a visit to Chiang Mai Purchased 3 cases of Lao Beer.

When I requested large bottles the Lao Beer dealer said it was not legal/allowed to sell large bottles in Thailand. Only the small bottles were allowed.

Would anyone have an idea of why this is so? Just curious.

I didn't even know they were available. This link shows that they are, and they also do a dark beer. That would be nice to try..Milton.....

http://www.beer-lao.com/products.php

If you're in Savannaket and ask for a beer Lao they don't ask (like they do here) they just bring you a big bottle.

No wimps in Laos !

:o

PS Pint ? 330ml ? That's why there are no Lao barmen in Dublin.

In response to the OP's question - I suspect it is due to pressure from local producers wanting to protect their local market share. Big bottles are far more popular with Thais out drinking as they share beer in a way we Farang generally do not. If Lao can't get the big bottles in it is unlikely that the locals will switch.

Alternative explanations could be that Beer Lao just doesn't have enough big bottles to export or that there is a higher duty to be paid. Just theories.

With regard to Beer Lao Dark I have got a case in but I warn you it is very expensive.

In response to the OP's question - I suspect it is due to pressure from local producers wanting to protect their local market share. Big bottles are far more popular with Thais out drinking as they share beer in a way we Farang generally do not. If Lao can't get the big bottles in it is unlikely that the locals will switch.

Alternative explanations could be that Beer Lao just doesn't have enough big bottles to export or that there is a higher duty to be paid. Just theories.

With regard to Beer Lao Dark I have got a case in but I warn you it is very expensive.

How expensive ??

I didn't even know they were available. This link shows that they are, and they also do a dark beer. That would be nice to try..Milton.....

If you're in Savannaket and ask for a beer Lao they don't ask (like they do here) they just bring you a big bottle.

No wimps in Laos !

:o

One of the things I regret a bit about being on a Bvisa. When I used to do my Tourist Visa every 90 days in Vientiane, a big bottle (okay a LOT of big bottles) at the "sunset bars" on the Mekong for 6 or 7k kip, what's that about 30 THB? At a bar, with BBQ.

No wimps in Laos !

:D

One of the things I regret a bit about being on a Bvisa. When I used to do my Tourist Visa every 90 days in Vientiane, a big bottle (okay a LOT of big bottles) at the "sunset bars" on the Mekong for 6 or 7k kip, what's that about 30 THB? At a bar, with BBQ.

That sounds great. Slightly :o here but check out the 2006 Beer Lao girls..WOW.. Number 003 is just lush..

http://www.beer-lao.com/carlendar/index.ph...dir=./foto/2006

How expensive ??

Looking loke 110 a bottle but I know you are a man of means :o

How expensive ??

Looking loke 110 a bottle but I know you are a man of means :o

And you're a meanie of a man.. :D :D

I'll buy you one next time I'm in Tuskers.. :D

A bit of history: When Laos was French , Bière Larue was the most famous beer in the colony. After the French were shown the door, the locals took over the breweries. They changed the name but kept the receipe.

I don't know how they make it now but in the past, they used spring water not water from the klongs as in Thailand.

The reason for the high cost of the Lao Dark Beer, as told to me, is that the dealer only ordered 10 cases of Dark Beer because he did not know if it would sell.

At the same time he had also ordered 100 cases of Lager Beer, hence the price difference.

Edited by coconut

Austhaied

The price I paid at the Chiang Mai dealer was Baht 1150 for a case of Dark and Baht 870 for a case of Lager.

Small bottles 330ml.

Cheers. I'm sending you over this lovely Beer Lao girl to say thanks..

yes Ms Lao #3 is lovely but I hope that isn't were they get the water for the beer :o

CB

Austhaied

The price I paid at the Chiang Mai dealer was Baht 1150 for a case of Dark and Baht 870 for a case of Lager.

Small bottles 330ml.

Cheers. I'm sending you over this lovely Beer Lao girl to say thanks..

yes Ms Lao #3 is lovely but I hope that isn't were they get the water for the beer :D

CB

Here are the "real" Beer Lao girls filling up the bottles in the Mekong..NOT. :o

Milton, put a Dark Beer Lao on ice for the pick up tonight please mate.. :D

post-31110-1187859601_thumb.jpg

Lao Beer Dealer/Supplier

Location: Route 107, direction Mae Rim, opposite Lanna Golf Course there is a fish noodle shop named in Thai Rotnung. This is located next to a shop selling golf equipment, which has a large sign overhead showing the word GOLF in english. Without that sign doubt I would have found the place so easily.

When I visited a few of the employee's were wearing black Lao Beer t-shirts. The fish noodles were also quite good.

Telephone contact: Khun A, 085-9159421 or Khun Mon, 086-9076336. It would help to speak Thai.

In my village-cricket days, when we afterwards would repair to the local team's regular watering-hole, it was normal to run a beer-kitty and have a large jug, for topping-up everyone's glasses, including the other side's. Happy Days ! :D

Somehow I suspect that Thais would also feel familiar with this approach. :o

Obviously, THIS Beerlao girl is WAY lushier.

004.jpg

I liked it that all the pics were shot in river/stream/waterfall type water features, not a beach whcih for a landlocked country like Lao PDR would be completely inauthentic and bogus. They's got taste!

Edited by Sanpatong

Wonder how far Beer Lao drifts from the border. I live about 80 klicks North of Korat town and have never seen it but would sure like too. I will talk to the shop I use in Kong but don't expect much cooperation. Any suggestions?

Wonder how far Beer Lao drifts from the border. I live about 80 klicks North of Korat town and have never seen it but would sure like too. I will talk to the shop I use in Kong but don't expect much cooperation. Any suggestions?

Give this lot a call and ask who buys it off them in Korat. There's always a way. :o

NKT Import - Export Co.,Ltd

300/2 Moo 10,Mittaphap Rd.

Nongkhai 43000

Tel : (6642) 413 231

Fax : (6642)413 298

Give this lot a call and ask who buys it off them in Korat. There's always a way. :o

NKT Import - Export Co.,Ltd

300/2 Moo 10,Mittaphap Rd.

Nongkhai 43000

Tel : (6642) 413 231

Fax : (6642)413 298

Good contact from Austhaied, but if it doesn't work out, it's worth a roadtrip. You're not that far from Udon, NongKhai, or Vientiane, even!

Edited by calibanjr.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I have already decided Nong Khai would make a nice road trip. I think I had the best somtom I have ever eaten there long ago.

Nong Khai's nice, good, well organised market along the river with riverfront restaurants, not too much nightlife though. Good fish and chips at The Meeting Place guest house, run by a cheerful lady from Aberdeen if you fancy a bit of farang food.

Can't say I've ever seen Beer Lao there though, you may have to cross the river.