Mastercard

fritte

Anyone knowing where in Pattaya I can get money from a machine with my MasterCard? :o

Look at the back of your MasterCard to see what network it is on, i.e. Pulse, Cirrus, Maestro, etc and then look for an ATM machine that has these networks enabled, usually listed on a decal on the front of the machine.

If it's not on any matching network, it is no use in ATM machines.

Also make sure that you have advised the bank issuing the card that you will be using it overseas. Many banks, especially British banks only have domestic ATM networks enabled and your card account needs to be 'enabled' by calling customer service before it will work overseas.

The best collection of ATM's that I know of for checking networks are outside the restrooms, ground floor of Carrefour on Central Road.

Anyone knowing where in Pattaya I can get money from a machine with my MasterCard? :o

It is probably easier and better to go to one of the many bank money exchanges around pattaya (there is a siam commercial booth at Foodland) and take your credit card and passport and get cash from your credit card that way. It is easy and you do not get the hassle with the banks in the UK so much, this is how I always do it and it saves a lot of hassle with the ATM machines.

I thought Mastercard was on a par with Visa, I just do not know of any ATM in Pattaya that dose not accept Visa.

There are many ATM's in Pattaya, Virtually every 7-11 & Family Mart has one outside, and there seems to be a 7-11 between every Soi.

As I recall Thai banks charge a small commission for cash from card, I always use ATM's for cash withdrawals using my "Nationwide" debit card, no commission and the exchange rate is always competitive.

BB

As far as I am aware all normal cashpoint cards work in the ATM's here in Pattaya but the OP was asking about a Mastercard which is a credit card which is different to a cashpoint card. If you use a credit card then you are drawing cash from your credit card not your bank account and the credit card companies do charge a fee for this depending on the amount of cash you draw. You also need a different PIN number for your credit card but if you do not have this number you can still get cash via the bank or money exchange places.

As far as I am aware all normal cashpoint cards work in the ATM's here in Pattaya but the OP was asking about a Mastercard which is a credit card which is different to a cashpoint card. If you use a credit card then you are drawing cash from your credit card not your bank account and the credit card companies do charge a fee for this depending on the amount of cash you draw. You also need a different PIN number for your credit card but if you do not have this number you can still get cash via the bank or money exchange places.

So you mean I can go to any bank and show my MasterCard and get money that way? Then it´s much better than travel checks or bills from my country. :o

So you mean I can go to any bank and show my MasterCard and get money that way? Then it´s much better than travel checks or bills from my country. :D

Yes exactly, quick and easy, just take your passport and MasterCard to the bank money exchange booth and you can get money from your credit card as long as you have the credit available and you are not up to your limit of course. It really is very easy and better than travellers checks etc which you have to get in advance. :o

So you mean I can go to any bank and show my MasterCard and get money that way? Then it´s much better than travel checks or bills from my country. :D

Yes exactly, quick and easy, just take your passport and MasterCard to the bank money exchange booth and you can get money from your credit card as long as you have the credit available and you are not up to your limit of course. It really is very easy and better than travellers checks etc which you have to get in advance. :D

Greate! Many thanks for your informations EmCross. Then I don´t bring travel checks and swedish crowns with when I go to Pattaya late December and stay one month.I also thank NanLaew and Basil B for the info. :o

Gawd ! ... another Nationwide Evangelist !

Naka.

Whats wrong ???,,,,,jealous????

All sensible people bank with Nationwide for their realistic charges when used abroad.

I actually changed my bank 2 years ago to Nationwide becuse my old bank (one of the U.K.s big 4) was loading more & more charges for overseas transactions.

Great deal just can not find the catch.

BB

I don't have a problem using my credit union debit card which is backed by MasterCard. The last ATM I used was near the movie theater at the Royal Garden Mall. If you are facing the ticket booth there are several ATM's just past the theater to the right. (Think it was Kasikorn Bank.)

I had no real problem with the same MasterCard debit card in Manila too!

Look for the little logos on the ATM.

The situation you describe works fine because you carry a balance at the bank that issued your debit card which you can draw against either as a MasterCard transaction or as a debit card. Your choice. The OP has no balance or doesn't want to draw against it but can go to any bank that honors MasterCard (or VISA) and can get an "advance" against his/her credit limit. This can be expensive but useful in an emergency. There is usually a 2 or 3% charge for the $$$ borrowed plus a conversion fee plus the payback interest rates are higher that the normal MasterCard or VISA rates.

The situation you describe works fine because you carry a balance at the bank that issued your debit card which you can draw against either as a MasterCard transaction or as a debit card. Your choice. The OP has no balance or doesn't want to draw against it but can go to any bank that honors MasterCard (or VISA) and can get an "advance" against his/her credit limit. This can be expensive but useful in an emergency. There is usually a 2 or 3% charge for the $$$ borrowed plus a conversion fee plus the payback interest rates are higher that the normal MasterCard or VISA rates.

Is it less expensive to use the MasterCard like this then to buy travel checks or USD and change to baht in Thailand? :o

Is it less expensive to use the MasterCard like this then to buy travel checks or USD and change to baht in Thailand? :o

One or two of my other responses have gone missing, don't know why.

Personally I would use US Dollars as a back-up or emergency solution. And change them at the money-changers on Soi Rungland (GOLD) if you need to.

The foreign exchange booths of the major banks usually will accept plastic and charge less than if you go into the branch and ty to change in the bank.

Most ATMs will give you money - up to whatever limit your bank back home has set. And again the charges are low.

Do not bring kroner - you will get a poor exchange rate, as there is little 'sell-back' interest from the money changers.

SEK is very good currency to change to baht much better than $$ and Euro´s and Matercard and Visa. The bank issue your card allways take a fee everytime you use your card. Btw Mastercard and Visa can be used in allmost every ATM´s in Thailand.

MVH

One or two of my other responses have gone missing, don't know why.

Personally I would use US Dollars as a back-up or emergency solution. And change them at the money-changers on Soi Rungland (GOLD) if you need to.

The foreign exchange booths of the major banks usually will accept plastic and charge less than if you go into the branch and ty to change in the bank.

Most ATMs will give you money - up to whatever limit your bank back home has set. And again the charges are low.

Do not bring kroner - you will get a poor exchange rate, as there is little 'sell-back' interest from the money changers.

Sorry your wrong there Swedish Krona SEK gives much better rate than $$ and Euros.