Webc-2.9.opera

RKASA

:o

I found a new Kiosk linux which is bullet proof. Webc-2.9.Opera is near to 180mb downloaded for the iso. After burning it to a cd. I powered down the PC with the tray open and pulled the HD (I have it rigged) and made sure no usb devices but my mouse and keyboard were plugged in. With the cd in the tray I power up. It takes near 2 1/2 mins to boot from cd, but when its done you get a stripped down Opera bowser connected to the internet with the preset home page at the webc web site. This distro only req. a cd tray a ram of 128mb or more and a NIC to connect with. You cannot close the browser open any files or change but a few setting temp. even the cd tray is locked and can't be removed. Put this on an old pc out of site and place a display, keyboard and mouse on a table and turn your resturant or hotel guests loose, they can't brake it. Power off and on again and everthing is totaly reset. If you want our own home page and your web site featured as part of the Kiosk the webc site will intergate and build a custom Kiosk for you. Which means customer will have everything they need to res. rooms or want ever it is you do. Thats 400 bucks but if you got a going business it just maybe something nice to have. The version I have here is free to use. Even if the home page is set to thier web site it has links to places like googlebookmarks BBc new ect. it not that bad the way it is for something like a small rest. or bar. or guest house. PS to get the cd out power down and on power up push the tray button a few times. I have not run it with my HD in. I am told its not a problem, but I hate rebuilds so I always pull it. It's not supposed to use it anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
:o

I found a new Kiosk linux which is bullet proof. Webc-2.9.Opera is near to 180mb downloaded for the iso. After burning it to a cd. I powered down the PC with the tray open and pulled the HD (I have it rigged) and made sure no usb devices but my mouse and keyboard were plugged in. With the cd in the tray I power up. It takes near 2 1/2 mins to boot from cd, but when its done you get a stripped down Opera bowser connected to the internet with the preset home page at the webc web site. This distro only req. a cd tray a ram of 128mb or more and a NIC to connect with. You cannot close the browser open any files or change but a few setting temp. even the cd tray is locked and can't be removed. Put this on an old pc out of site and place a display, keyboard and mouse on a table and turn your resturant or hotel guests loose, they can't brake it. Power off and on again and everthing is totaly reset. If you want our own home page and your web site featured as part of the Kiosk the webc site will intergate and build a custom Kiosk for you. Which means customer will have everything they need to res. rooms or want ever it is you do. Thats 400 bucks but if you got a going business it just maybe something nice to have. The version I have here is free to use. Even if the home page is set to thier web site it has links to places like googlebookmarks BBc new ect. it not that bad the way it is for something like a small rest. or bar. or guest house. PS to get the cd out power down and on power up push the tray button a few times. I have not run it with my HD in. I am told its not a problem, but I hate rebuilds so I always pull it. It's not supposed to use it anyway.

I'd like to point out that Slax is another option that you might want to look into. It has a smaller footprint, and won't take 2 and 1/2 minutes to boot up. there is a configurator that even a newbie can use to get it exactly where you want it.

Yea after tring that one I burned a few more which are kiosk. I don't have a use for them myself, but though they were kind of cool. Someone posted they were using DSL in a resturant and I thougt maybe thats alittle to open even as much as I liked it for other things. The good thing about the kiosks is the way they are so locked down.