Us-banned Chemicals Used In Thai Farming?

I happened to come across this article by Max Ediger

http://peace.mennolink.org/cgi-bin/m.pl?a=408

It claims that big chemical companies in the USA are exporting dangerous farming chemicals to countries, specifically to Thailand, which harm poor farmers and the environment. Any comments?

Good old uncle Sam doubble standards, they will sell the dangerous chemicals, and the refuse to import the countries products, it has been going on for a long time, but it have never been out in the open like now, I see that article as a step in the right direction.

Regards

I think this artilce was written upon very little fact.

You will find that overall the US has alot more higher toxicity chemicals registered for use than Thailand.

Ones to mention are

Methamidaphos

Vydate L liquid (although this year Dupont are re-releasing a granualted form)

Metham Sodium

Methyl Bromite

The difference maybe that to use some of the higher toxicity chemiclas you would need to have a Govt accredited certificate.

Now I can never remember seeing a chemical bottle in Thailand with only english instructions, has anyone else??

Now the other thing, I think that very few chemicals are actually produced in the US and then exported. These multi-national Co's have plants all around the world.

Now yes there is one good point, alot of Thai farmers are uneducated and maybe putting themselves at risk when handling the chemicals; I daresay this is no different than the attitude of the US farmer in the 60's or 70's.

So I think that whoever wrote this is having another gripe about multi-nationals, I am more concerned about Monsanto, Syngenta etc getting annoyed with the lack of implementation of copyrights in Thailand, and what kind of effort are they going to put back into product development if Chinese and Indian Co's can just copy it straight off the bat!!