Farang Magazine (untamed Travel Magazine)

Ulysses G.

• 2 weeks later...

Metro Magazine, which went the same way about this time last year, was for sale around a similar price and didn't get any takers. Arguably Metro had more of a history and brand image than Untamed did/does.

Sadly it proves yet again that the English language publishing media in Thailand is struggling to survive. There are very few examples of titles than can make it work. (I speak as someone who works in the publishing industry here).

Metro Magazine, which went the same way about this time last year, was for sale around a similar price and didn't get any takers. Arguably Metro had more of a history and brand image than Untamed did/does.

Sadly it proves yet again that the English language publishing media in Thailand is struggling to survive. There are very few examples of titles than can make it work. (I speak as someone who works in the publishing industry here).

I wonder how long Guru will last. If Farang was the king of sarcasm, no idea what the Guru editor is.

Well Guru has the backing of the Bangkok Post so Im sure they will be around for quite a while.

Im really quite surprised that Farang magazine didnt last. In their for sale ad they mentioned that they are moving on to different projects. Does this mean that the business was not successful or just that they really want to move onto other projects?

I used to enjoy Farang magazine, although it was the same month after month after month.........................there was usually 4 or 5 new articles each issue, but on the whole it was repetative (I suppose that accommodations doesn't change that much though) and that stalker woman :o

May I ask - are there any decent English-language magazines left in Thailand? The shelves look rather bare...

The Big Chili is a great mag, 100 baht in the shops or go to one of the local bars and pick one up for free. it really is a good read.

Neither magazine, in short, had the sales or advertising revenue to continue.

A great shame that these two fine publications have ceased for ever.

Such is the demise of far too many independents gobbled up by 'tough times'.

Time will tell, soon enough, what the corporate giants consider a "good read". Luxury, luxury, luxury? :o

METRO MAGAZINE was truly one of great urban magazines in Asia.....didtn like FARANG that much and found it still sad that Metro didtn survive...just wonder why TIMEOUT Group is not starting a magazine for Bangkok, as they did just couple months ago in Singapore???

METRO MAGAZINE was truly one of great urban magazines in Asia.....didtn like FARANG that much and found it still sad that Metro didtn survive...just wonder why TIMEOUT Group is not starting a magazine for Bangkok, as they did just couple months ago in Singapore???

It's down to advertising issues I think you'll find. It might generate sales from the Expat community who know the brand, but it would mainly rely on advertising from Thai businesses who do not understand the brand image, and why they would need to pay more to advertise in it.

I do know the brand has been touted to the publishing industry here for a while, but no takers as of yet. The group itself, as in common with other publishing brands, rarely enters a foreign market - it looks for local partners to license the brand and take almost all of the risks.

Well, Thailand Time Out certainly got very annoyed with one bunch of Scallywags who have started YET ANOTHER sub par Eng Lang mag (is there any other kind?) with amazingly similar initials.

Who said Big Chilli was good? Come on, own up.

Well, Thailand Time Out certainly got very annoyed with one bunch of Scallywags who have started YET ANOTHER sub par Eng Lang mag (is there any other kind?) with amazingly similar initials.

Who said Big Chilli was good? Come on, own up.

Maaaaaaate, whats wrong with the Big Chili? I like it and think it is the only one worth reading. there is a lot of cr-p out there.

Why do some people say that the Big Chilli is a good read? I always thought it was cut and pasted crap from the internet, hastily cobbled together. Fair dues to the owner Colin Hastings though, he works his outdated moustache off -- you see him everywhere. And he has survived...

Maaaaaaate, whats wrong with the Big Chili? I like it and think it is the only one worth reading. there is a lot of cr-p out there.

I accept that there's a lot worse. Try that TTO for starters. But I just find there something very po-faced about the Big Chili. Like the current issue, for example.

As I was 'reading' it for free in Villa this very evening (ahem), after all the 'society' shots (ie Big Cols' mates down at the Londoner or whatever) and vacuous snippets about what Daily Mail readers think is happening in some corner of England, there was some bunk about how the Big Chili is cutting edge with its restaurant reviews and calls a spade a spade. It even rants on about Michael freaking Winner being so daring with his restaurant reviews. Then, when I flick to the BC's restaurant reviews, what do I find? Pure advertorial fluff.

Sorry onnut, I'm glad you enjoy it, but it ain't for me. I'm not saying there's a better alternative, but it just reeks of 'plaything'.