Minor Flooding

Maejo Man

With yesterday's deluge, several small back sois in my area were under water, and I noticed Changklan last night had quite a lot of water along the gutters.

The first "real" rain we have had for some time, and it manifests it's self in minor flooding. I think it's about time the Irrigation authorities opened the sluices a little in order to preven the same major flooding that we experienced in 2005.

ALERT.GIF

The problem is that there's not a whole lot you can do with a boat in the 50.5 weeks a year that there's no flooding.

Well, you can take it to Mae Ngat but that's about it.

Depending on what type of boat it is you could take it on the Mae Ping. When we had the recurring floods in '05 I was living at the back of the Anusarn Markets and seriosly considered selling the bike and bying a jetski. Owner of the Chinese restuarant there had his kids paddling around the car park in little kayaks. The soi outside the arpartment building had over a metre of water and there were some decent rapids happening around the corner of the Welcome Inn Hotel.

CB

With yesterday's deluge, several small back sois in my area were under water, and I noticed Changklan last night had quite a lot of water along the gutters.

The first "real" rain we have had for some time, and it manifests it's self in minor flooding. I think it's about time the Irrigation authorities opened the sluices a little in order to preven the same major flooding that we experienced in 2005.

ALERT.GIF

In my village they've about drained the small lake behind our local dam. It will not be contributing to any flooding, as water levels are many meters below the flood gate. I've never seen it this low, even in the driest part of drought years. I hope they get the forecasting right, because the farmers are gonna crucify these people if it's not full again by the end of rainy season. Dry season farming depends on irrigation from this lake.

The problem is that there's not a whole lot you can do with a boat in the 50.5 weeks a year that there's no flooding.

Depending on what type of boat it is you could take it on the Mae Ping. When we had the recurring floods in '05 I was living at the back of the Anusarn Markets and seriosly considered selling the bike and bying a jetski. Owner of the Chinese restuarant there had his kids paddling around the car park in little kayaks. The soi outside the arpartment building had over a metre of water and there were some decent rapids happening around the corner of the Welcome Inn Hotel.

CB

Well, are there any fishes to catch in Mae Ngat/Mae Ping? Any angler out there who knows of a good fishing spot, where i can catch some fishes for dinner?

CB

Well, are there any fishes to catch in Mae Ngat/Mae Ping? Any angler out there who knows of a good fishing spot, where i can catch some fishes for dinner?

http://www.dreamlake-fishing.com/uuns_en.html

Thks but it's cheaper to buy from Lotus/Big-C/Carrefour. I havent seen anyone fishing in Mae Ping. Any good fishing spots that is free?

1Day fishing at Dreamlake or Paradise-Lake

1900,- Baht/Person (including Lunchbox)

1/2 Day fishing at Dreamlake or Paradise-Lake

1600,- Baht

Our Service:

Transfer from your Hotel or Guesthouse (Chiang Mai); Guiding ; All Tackle and Baits; All lisence

CB

I think Tuskers should change from bottles to cans and Chiangmai members could build one of these on the premises:

post-42103-1188015288_thumb.jpg

Since 2005, i have been thinking of buying a small PVC/fibreglass dinghy/boat. I wonder does anyone share the same idea & what's the costs like?

Cheers!

my g/f brother bought a small (7 ft) pvc dinghy- from a place not far from Carrefour on the same side, he bought it for 2000 baht if memory serves me, he bought it so he could load his stuff from his flooded house 2 years back. The place sells pvc water tanks etc but do have some dinghys available, I think I saw some pvc kayaks as well.

For getting around during a flood, a kayak would be better imo unless needing something to transport stuff.

CB

I think Tuskers should change from bottles to cans and Chiangmai members could build one of these on the premises:

post-42103-1188015288_thumb.jpg

no need, as MB has a sports bar upstairs, watch the world float by........might be tricky going to use the bathroom thou, unless MB has scuba :o

Thks but it's cheaper to buy from Lotus/Big-C/Carrefour. I havent seen anyone fishing in Mae Ping. Any good fishing spots that is free?

Any number of places on the Ping north of the (first) superhighway - particularly on the San Phi Sua (east bank) side of the river. For example, the stretch immediately north of the bridge can be accessed from the paved road under the bridge or also from the San Phi Sua Road about 200 metres further up - to get to the track that runs along the river at that point. I've seen people line-fishing there day in and day out - and occasionally even guys with crossbows (out for snakeheads, I think). That side gets full sun, so many bring their own shade for when the few available trees have already been staked out.

Edited by Steve2UK

pulling the post back on topic.............sky11.gif

just came back from the night bazaar, after about 4 hours of rain with a spell of heavy rain, the drains have not coped too well with the street flowing in places like a mini river, with all the debris and crap blocking the drains I would imagine most of the city looking like the venice of asia.smiley_diver.gif

time to grow some webbed feet mgmallard.gif

edit: added smileys for effect :o

Edited by Donnyboy