Flying With A New Born

pilgrim2505

Wife and I are having a baby in Thailand in November and shortly after intend to fly to the UK, baby, wife and myself.

This is our first baby and I haven’t a clue about how they work or anything, guess it will be one big learning curve from here on in.

Has any one ever been in a similar situation, I am trying to establish how I would go about this i.e. seating arrangements, costing, airline notification, special requirements, how the baby is to be carried etc etc.

I will endeavour to get a direct flight, carrying the baby in a mosses basket (travel variant) or in a sling thing sat with my wife and me. Do airlines charge extortionate prices for such arrangements?

As you can see I am at a loss and any handy hints, expenses guides, packing essentials, spare money :o or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Pilgrim.

We travelled with our boy at 3 months back to the US. EVA provided a bassinet at no extra charge. Much easier to travel with him then than later at 1.5 years!

Do i have to book a seat for tha baby or is the price increased by having them held?

i know i am not too good at this baby stuff!!

pilgrim.

i only uploaded that 2 seconds before you replied, you working for the BIG MAN HIMSELF? ( its a sign...)

If I remember correctly the baby flies for free! Check with your travel agent.

Today I found out I would be entitled to a family permit on the advice from The Scouse I shall pursue that avenue saving me a settlement fee, now I can fly babies around the world for free? It’s my lucky day.

Thank you kindly for that advice I shall be on the blower to Eva + Thai airways ASAP.

Pilgrim.

• 2 weeks later...

just flew with my son who was 3 months old at the time. Some airlines restrict how soon a baby can fly & none will allow a baby to fly before 7 days old.

I would reccomend a direct flight & also book a sky cot. My son spent 10 of the 12 hour flight in it asleep on both the trip out to LOS & then back to London waking only for food & being taken out during really bad turbulance. But as he has to be zipped in it whilst alseep, even turbulance didn't disturb him. :o

We paid 10% of the adult fare for his flight & the airline (Eva) would have provided milk & nappies had I wanted them to.

I gave my son a dummy or bottle of cool boiled water on take off & landing & the health visitor here in the UK suggested giving him baby calpol (only for babies over 2months old) to prevent ear infection & also to calm him down during the flight & it did settle him for the start of the flight although I only gave him it once on each flight & not every 4hours as the HV suggeste.

The most important thing to travel with a baby is to be well organised. I carried all bottles a big pack of wipes, enough nappies for at least a day & a couple of changes of clothes as well as a full baby grow for the flight a couple of blankets as it gets cold & all his water & milk (I didn't want to rely on the airline, plan for worst case senario & you will never be stuck :D)

All in all the flight was great & very stress free but I will say again, book a sky cot, if baby is small enough they will be in it for the majority or the flight 7 you wont need to hold little one for the whole 12 hours.

Another thing we had which was a life saveer was a babybjorn sling, he lived in it for our whole trip to LOS but for getting on & off the plane it leaves you hands free to carry the (lots) of hand luggage you will have.

post-1041-1188809672_thumb.jpg

just flew with my son who was 3 months old at the time. Some airlines restrict how soon a baby can fly & none will allow a baby to fly before 7 days old.

I would reccomend a direct flight & also book a sky cot. My son spent 10 of the 12 hour flight in it asleep on both the trip out to LOS & then back to London waking only for food & being taken out during really bad turbulance. But as he has to be zipped in it whilst alseep, even turbulance didn't disturb him. :o

We paid 10% of the adult fare for his flight & the airline (Eva) would have provided milk & nappies had I wanted them to.

I gave my son a dummy or bottle of cool boiled water on take off & landing & the health visitor here in the UK suggested giving him baby calpol (only for babies over 2months old) to prevent ear infection & also to calm him down during the flight & it did settle him for the start of the flight although I only gave him it once on each flight & not every 4hours as the HV suggeste.

The most important thing to travel with a baby is to be well organised. I carried all bottles a big pack of wipes, enough nappies for at least a day & a couple of changes of clothes as well as a full baby grow for the flight a couple of blankets as it gets cold & all his water & milk (I didn't want to rely on the airline, plan for worst case senario & you will never be stuck :D )

All in all the flight was great & very stress free but I will say again, book a sky cot, if baby is small enough they will be in it for the majority or the flight 7 you wont need to hold little one for the whole 12 hours.

Another thing we had which was a life saveer was a babybjorn sling, he lived in it for our whole trip to LOS but for getting on & off the plane it leaves you hands free to carry the (lots) of hand luggage you will have.

Lots of good advice there, but I'm curious to know why calpol would prevent an ear infection ?

not sure myself either but maybe prevent wasn't the right word, more like preempt an ear infection???

The guy in front of me and his wife on the twelve hour flight/ The baby screamed the entire way with the guy saying over and over again, "Everybody on the plane hates me" then "I never thought I would be the guy everybody hates" After five hours I was praying for an engine to fall off. By then it was too late there had been a major shift around as some passengers refused to hear any more screams and some of the parents on the flight volunteered to change seats to stop a rebellion.

Moss a couple more tips for inside LOS.

Muslin squares. I took a few & they were essential. I used one for mopping up dripples, as a bib during feeds & clearing up sick etc. One as a lightweight blanket & to cover Sonny's head & shoulders from the sun when we were going from the car to the shops in his sling & another one as a sweat catcher. If I was hot & sticky then picking him up made him hot & sticky so I would lay one over my arm & shoulder then pick im up & he didn't get all sweaty :o

Pushchair!!!! well I used mine (brought from UK) about 8 times in a month. If you really need one then take a really cheap basic lightweight umbrella style as if you are in bkk then the sky train & getting up & down the curbs will be a pain. Another option is to buy when when you get there but apart from putting him in it at the swimming pool for a nap, the kids at the mils used it to wheel him around the front room for fun!!! All other times he was in his sling & when he went to sleep we just turned him around & he slept in it with his head against my chest.

Samsonite bubble - the best invention ever IMO. It is a bit expensive (£50) but he used it nearly every day. At the mils he has a cot but we kept the bubble downstairs & he had his naps in it. I could then leave him in the front room alone knowing he was zipped up & safe from mossies, insects etc. When we travelled & no cot was avaiable then he slept in it at night & again, a mossie free night sleep. A normal travel cot weighs around 11kgs & this weights 2kg & folds up small so it doens't take up too much space or mean you have to lug a big thing around.

Sterlising bottles - I bought from www.travellingwithchildren.co.uk disposable sterlising bags& they came in really handy when staying in hotels. All I made sure I had was a small washing up liquid & a bottle cleaner from 7-11 & I could clean & sterlise his bottles anywhere we stayed. A bit pricy but if you are only in hotels a couple of nights then well worth it imo. Oh & for when I was at mils, I had a plastic cold water sterliser bought locally but took my own milton tablets as they aren't readily available.

I took far too many clothes for him, Sonny lived in the vest style baby grows & shortsleeved - shorts style baby grows. Al the two peice shorts & t-shirts I took didn't get used at all & I took a couple of full babygrows for when we were staying with aircon & on the plane. Everything else staying in the suitcase wasting space!!!!

Have a great time in Italy & LOS, I was dreading travelling with him but being well organised meant that nothing happened that I couldn't deal with (including a nice case of the shits my son had in a taxi from DonMuang to Suv which I dealt with without stopping (If you have the free nappy bag from Huggies take it, it has a couple of compartments with zips where you can keep medicines, gripe water etc & big enough inside to keep all the essentials for a whole day on the move) :D

Hi Boo. I have a few questions about feeding on the plane. Our boy will be just over 4 months when we fly back to the UK in November. Did you worry about sterilizing the bottles & teets you used during the flight? How did u prepare the formula you used (did u use your own water or bottled water from the plane ). Also, what did you think of EVA with regards to child-friendliness? It will be either EVA, TA or BA for us.

Thank you for any advice you can give!!! :o

not sure myself either but maybe prevent wasn't the right word, more like preempt an ear infection???

The guy in front of me and his wife on the twelve hour flight/ The baby screamed the entire way with the guy saying over and over again, "Everybody on the plane hates me" then "I never thought I would be the guy everybody hates" After five hours I was praying for an engine to fall off. By then it was too late there had been a major shift around as some passengers refused to hear any more screams and some of the parents on the flight volunteered to change seats to stop a rebellion.

Yeah, been there, heard that (14 hours to Tokyo from USA). Suggest just in case the drugs and breast-feeding don't work, you take a bag of complimentary ear plugs for surrounding passengers. :o

Hi Boo. I have a few questions about feeding on the plane. Our boy will be just over 4 months when we fly back to the UK in November. Did you worry about sterilizing the bottles & teets you used during the flight? How did u prepare the formula you used (did u use your own water or bottled water from the plane ). Also, what did you think of EVA with regards to child-friendliness? It will be either EVA, TA or BA for us.

Thank you for any advice you can give!!! :o

EVA is very baby oriented, make sure you request a cot.

Eva was great. we went premium economy & they allocated our seats both there & back with a sky cot & as I said little man spent the whole flight in it. The staff were very attentive & set up the cot as soon as possible after take off & gave me a bag with a nappy & wipes & came & checked often that everything was ok.

I sterlised all of his bottles prior to flying (all 8) & put them in food bags to keep them clean & as he normally has 6oz per feed put 4oz of cool boiled water in each bottle then filled a flask with hot boiled water which I used to top up the bottles so he had a warm feed each time. The airline & security at SUV were fine & didn't require any testing of the water & I carried his powdered formula in my hand luggage & just added it as I needed it.

Flying back from the UK may be a problem as heathrow are very strict. On the way out to BKK I asked Boots security side at Heathrow to order ready made cartons of his milk which I then collected after I had been through security. It saved a lot of hassle but meant that he had to drink room temp formula as I couldn't be bothered to ask the EVA staff to heat it up but no biggie really.

Cheers Boo.

Muslin squares.

We use these all the time, so will take these.

Pushchair!!!!

We have a very good one, but would be a little impracticable, so we just bought a good but rather large stroller, I wish we had seen your advice earlier.

All other times he was in his sling & when he went to sleep we just turned him around & he slept in it with his head against my chest.

Although we have one, the wife doesn't think he will use one at this stage.

Samsonite bubble

Never heard of this, but sounds invaluable, I will check it out.

Sterlising bottles - I bought from www.travellingwithchildren.co.uk I had a plastic cold water sterliser bought locally but took my own milton tablets as they aren't readily available.

I will check these out too

I took far too many clothes for him, Everything else staying in the suitcase wasting space!!!!

I will mention this, but I feel i may as well talk to the mountains :o

Have a great time in Italy & LOS,

Cheers

I was dreading travelling with him but being well organised meant that nothing happened that I couldn't deal with

I have a feeling you might get on with my wife, she thinks about every eventuality, I travel on a wing and a prayer, a little different now I have a family.

Thanks for all the good advice

Moss

That's really brutal on the other passengers, and even more brutal on the parents; but more importantly, what about the baby ? There is something definitely wrong if a baby cries for so long while held by a parent. IMHO If a baby cries for more than an hour or so when held by a parent there is something wrong. I had a bit of trouble with one of ours last week from HKG to BKK - he cried a lot for an hour (overtired), and I felt bad for the other passengers, but eventually settled and slept for the duration.

Since calpol is just a paracetamol suspension, I don't see how it can preempt an ear infection either ? I'm not a doctor or anything, but as far as I know it will reduce a fever and inflamation, and relieve pain, but it's not going to prevent an infection. And long term/regular use can cause liver and kidney damage. It's also chock-a-block full of artificial sweetners and flavours, so that can't do any good either.

Of course it will relieve the pain in the ears due to the air pressure changes, so that's a valid reason to give it on a flight, but it is not a sedative, and shouldn't be given as one. AFAIK, the reason for that misconception is that it relieves some other symptom such as a headache or growing pain which was otherwise keeping the baby awake and making him/her unsettled.

Here's an interesting article on the subject:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/main.jht...2/16/hcal16.xml

Wife and I are having a baby in Thailand in November and shortly after intend to fly to the UK, baby, wife and myself.

This is our first baby and I haven't a clue about how they work or anything, guess it will be one big learning curve from here on in.

Has any one ever been in a similar situation, I am trying to establish how I would go about this i.e. seating arrangements, costing, airline notification, special requirements, how the baby is to be carried etc etc.

I will endeavour to get a direct flight, carrying the baby in a mosses basket (travel variant) or in a sling thing sat with my wife and me. Do airlines charge extortionate prices for such arrangements?

As you can see I am at a loss and any handy hints, expenses guides, packing essentials, spare money :o or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Pilgrim.

We flew to UK when my daughter was 1 month old. Took her onto the 'plane in her car seat but as there wasn't a spare seat in our row she had to sit on my wife's lap for takeoff and landing, the airline provides a baby seat belt for that.

During the flight she was in a cot fast asleep, we try to take night flights when possible even now so she sleeps through and doesn't disturb anyone.

The flight attendents have been very good in sterilising bottles and providing hot water (if a bit too hot!).

Never had any problems flying with an infant on Etihad, Emirates, Korean Air, KLM, Air Asia.

Were taking our son who will be 11 months from bkk to London using Etihad. Ive been waiting for the travel agents to confirm that we have a baby cot for the flight but they cant confirm it and told us that we should get there early and ask for one at check in. Im not to keen on this as I really couldnt handle the flight with my son on my lap. We tried a 4 hour bus journey last month and it was hel_l.

Can and should we take our own bolied water onto the flight in bottles or can the staff provide us with boiled water. At 11 months he can now drink warm water we usually use boiled water and top it up with bottled water so its not so hot.

Im also worried about his ears on the flight. I suffer from really bad headaches on the fligh and my ears will only pop when i yawn, so on decent im constantly yawning. Sucking on sweets or holding my nose and trying to pop my ears just doesnt work. Sounds like Calpol could help?

I traveled a lot with my daughter as a baby. The trick is, as Boo says, is to book a baby cot well ahead and be sure to feed your child as the flight gains altitude to equalize pressure in the ear canal. My daughter breastfed for years, and I'd highly recommend this as you don't have to worry about sterilizing, water, bottles, formula, baggage space for all the paraphenalia. Apart from the enormous convenience, there's also the health benefits....I've never given her any medication and never actually seen it recommended before, so I think you can pass on that on. Do be sure to take an adequate supply of disposable nappies and nappy sacks as sometimes the depressurization comes at the other end. We had a speedy disembarkment from one flight. The breast feeding on descent prompted a massive eruption at the other end and the flight attendants were very accommodating in allowing us to exit first. Yet another benefit of traveling with children :o

A sling is also much more practical than a push chair in the very early days. But when I did begin traveling with one, I found a very cheap, light fold-up one that I bought in a bargain shop while touring thru Bath to be far more practical than the sturdy, all-terrain expensive one I bought in a department store while holidaying in Australia. That said, I have seen some really cool, lightweights with a carry cot that converts to a car seat that may be the exception. I'd recommend, tho, you leave Thailand without one and buy it in Europe where the choice will be wider and the cost cheaper.

• 4 weeks later...

This is our first baby and I haven't a clue about how they work or anything, guess it will be one big learning curve from here on in.

Pilgrim.

Mate, don't worry about it. Ours came with the same instruction book as you're going to get. Everyone gets the same book. Unfortunately it's blank. :D Yes it's a big learning curve, and from what I've seen every baby is different, and the "advice" you get from different people often doesn't work for your little one.

We flew first time when our daughter was 7 weeks old, I believe you can do earlier just check with your GP. We did From Thailand to Indonesia - 3.5 hours. You book for two adults and ask for an infant ticket. On Thai airways you need a hard copy ticket on some airways you don't. The infant price is usually a fraction of the adult price, often around 10%-20%, however they pay the same tax! After that we did quite to a few short flights to Singapore and back to Thailand etc. At around 4 months we did a BKK-UK first long haul trip. We broke it into two legs.

You might want to consider breaking up the trip. Swings and roundabouts really, but breaking it up allows you to get off, stretch your legs, perhaps buy a few things you had forgot in the stop-off airport. If it's going badly a break may be good. The one-stop gets it over with tho', and if it's going well, which of course you don't know until you're in it, it could be better option. Ask for seats with a baby basket. Our daughter rarely slept in it but you can always put other things in the baby basket. You also get more attention and a little extra leg room with these seats. If the airline tries to split you up, give them hel_l! You need to sit next to your wife. If the airline messes up the set arrangements ask the stewardess on the plane, or the person with the seat next to your wife if you can swap. Consider taking turns with your meals.

Think about your passports. If you're not married, and you want a UK passport, for a father it is difficult to get from UK emnbassy. If you're married it's easy. Our daughter has both UK and Thai - just give the UK embassy a copy of the birt cert plus a few more docs and she gets one. Advantage of 2 passports is she doesn't need a UK visa. We also got a Thai passport. The service seemed better and quicker, but she would need a visa in it to enter the UK. Also be careful as if you want both passports in a short timeframe, both Thai and UK passport often want the same docs which is a pain. eg original birth certificate. UK passport take 10 days. Thai take 5-10.

Bottles you can take. Maybe just one made up, and containers with powder. The stewardesses can give you boling water to make up the bottle. Airlines are usually more experienced than you are! They have emergency nappies etc. Thai airways is very good with kids, as are most Asian airlines, eg Singapore. Emirates we found very poor. Very good for economy adults. Not for children. Only airline to ever split us up, and not think it was an issue!

BTW Don't forget to look after your wife and plan for her. She'll be tired after the birth, and her body still recovering. Women can usually do much better than us at what comes naturally. i.e your wife will focus on the baby by nature. So if you focus on your wife, and the baby when she needs a rest it could work well. She may get tired holding the baby on the flight, or stressed, or just tired and grumpy thru lack of sleep etc. Anything that she's annoyed about - fix it - disturb anyone you think necessary :D . If it's you that's the problem for some reason - don't argue just accept it. Better to just apologize and support her even if she's wrong. (BTW Thai women are never wrong anyway so no change there if your wife is Thai :D ). If you get tired, don't complain about her or anything minor she does that irritates you. Take some sort of shawl/blanket to give her some privacy if she breast feeds, or ask for extra blankets. She may feel self conscious. Maternity bras with fold down flaps come into there own, but she'll probably have already anyway.

Hope there's a few pointers in there. PM me or drop a note on here if there's anything there's a remote chance we can help with anything.

Otherwise good luck!

Edited by fletchthai68

Pilgrim.

:D

1. Children under 1 or 2 year (can't remember exactly) often travel for free.It depends on the airline, but usually you get a discount for an infant. They don't get their own seat. they are expected to sit with mom/dad. If you can afford it, when the flight is likely to be full, it is worthwhile to get the middle seat for the baby.

2. Most airlines have "baby care" stews that are tasked to take care of young babies. They can take care of heating bottles and such. They don't change nappies, that's mom or dad's job.

3. If you are flying economy, try to get a seat up close to front of plane. They have a little bed they can sling to seat, let's you put baby to sleep.

4. Bring plenty of nappies, disposible ones are best. If you have a 12 hour flight, you will need them. The stews will be able to dispose of the used ones.

5. Bring baby food as required. Best to feed your baby before you leave for airport so he/she will sleep thru as much as possible.

6. Before you go, contact the airline your going to fly with. Let them know you are traveling with an infant,and ask if they have beds for the baby.

7. Whoever plans to take care of the baby during the flight should ALSO get a good rest before traveling. The last thing you need is a tried person trying to take care of a unhappy restless baby.

8. If you have to, be prepared to hold the baby and walk up and down the aisle to get him/her to sleep.

9. Good luck....and hope the baby sleeps thru much of the trip.

:D

• 2 months later...

Cheers Boo.

Muslin squares.

We use these all the time, so will take these.

Pushchair!!!!

We have a very good one, but would be a little impracticable, so we just bought a good but rather large stroller, I wish we had seen your advice earlier.

All other times he was in his sling & when he went to sleep we just turned him around & he slept in it with his head against my chest.

Although we have one, the wife doesn't think he will use one at this stage.

Samsonite bubble

Never heard of this, but sounds invaluable, I will check it out.

Sterlising bottles - I bought from www.travellingwithchildren.co.uk I had a plastic cold water sterliser bought locally but took my own milton tablets as they aren't readily available.

I will check these out too

I took far too many clothes for him, Everything else staying in the suitcase wasting space!!!!

I will mention this, but I feel i may as well talk to the mountains :o

Have a great time in Italy & LOS,

Cheers

I was dreading travelling with him but being well organised meant that nothing happened that I couldn't deal with

I have a feeling you might get on with my wife, she thinks about every eventuality, I travel on a wing and a prayer, a little different now I have a family.

Thanks for all the good advice

Moss

Traveling to LOS on 2nd Feb with wife and 5 month old son, totaly confident and no worries, the secret, according to my mum who has flown with her kids from all ages and her grandkids from 2 weeks old, is to be prepared so we will be, will let everybody know howwe get on. One thing I am very worried about is how he will react to the flight, he's is such a contented baby, never cry's just laughs all the time and mumbles away to himself so I praying that continues.

Forgot to add, flying with Etihad and recieved an e-mail from them tell me that they have provided an infant cot for us which means we'll get the bulkhead seat (middle row front), didn't ask for the cot but it seems it's standard policy with Etihad if you book far enough in advance and are available.

One thing I am very worried about is how he will react to the flight, he's is such a contented baby, never cry's just laughs all the time and mumbles away to himself so I praying that continues.
Forgot to add, flying with Etihad and recieved an e-mail from them tell me that they have provided an infant cot for us which means we'll get the bulkhead seat (middle row front), didn't ask for the cot but it seems it's standard policy with Etihad if you book far enough in advance and are available.

I listened to the advice on here, ensured he was either eating or drink through lift and land, which worked OK, except when he was asleep on landing at LHW, but that was OK too, I walked him up the aisle occasionally, a great trick, because everybody wants to pick him up, take photos, or video him, gives me a rest and let the wife have a few minutes rest at other peoples willing expense. :o

This time he was great, but Italy, wow what a nightmare, I guess if you follow the advice you will be better off, but it could be a hairy ride.

We flew EVA and got a sky cot and bulk head, flying out service was OK at best, flying back, absolutely tremendous, couldn't do enough to help.

Good Luck

Moss