Honda Civic Or Mazda 3?

mortenaa

I want to buy a car for use in BKK and for road trips.

I'm considering Honda Civic 2.0 or Mazda 3, as they are reasonably priced compared to European cars in Thailand. I'm also thinking about leasing.

Any thoughts??

Morten

The Civic is far better value for money, plus it has a much better engine in my appinion. it is also quicker as it has more horsepower.

I have had my Civic for a year now and I love it.

I'm considering Honda Civic 2.0 or Mazda 3, as they are reasonably priced compared to European cars in Thailand. I'm also thinking about leasing.

Any thoughts??

Morten

The Civic is far better value for money, plus it has a much better engine in my appinion. it is also quicker as it has more horsepower.

Also my view the Civic is far better value for money New + when you come to sell holds it value......

Of course if you buy a used/ex demo model the Mazda 3 a lot cheaper

Many Leasing Companies, look at 'Premier Leasing' 100% trustworthy

The Honda may (?) be the better car but the Mazda in my eyes is by far the better looking car. I wanted a Honda Civic but bought the Ford Focus because I liked the looks much better.

All points well taken about the Civic. When married had one back in 1987 and drove it 140,000 miles. One problem and that was the air conditioning compressor went out but that was it over 140,000 miles.

However, even though it's slower than the Civic, in magazines such as "Car and Driver", the Mazda 3 comes off as a top gun sort of car. Handling is absolutely stunning for example, rivalling sports cars. I've had two Mazda Miata sports cars and regard them as the top sports cars on the planet all things considered. Reliability is top notch as is handling, handiness of controls, user friendliness, fuel economy, low initial cost compared to its competition, and its performance level has been increased very significantly since its introduction in 1990 to the extent that the new models performance as to top speed and acceleration is virtually the same as the Jaguar XKE's of the 1960's while its handling is far superior. Mazda's RX-8 that Mazda bills as the four door sports car is quite innovative while being extremely fun to drive. So, from what I've personally experienced out of Mazda and read the Mazda 3 is going to be an incredibly fun car to drive considering it's meant for four or more people, no doubt very reliable, but bottom line is going to be more expensive to buy while having lower resale value than the Honda Civic which is a very good car in its own right.

Any thoughts??

Morten

Why is the Civic better value for money?

The Honda may (?) be the better car but the Mazda in my eyes is by far the better looking car. I wanted a Honda Civic but bought the Ford Focus because I liked the looks much better.

Can't comment on either the mazda or honda but I bought the ford focus too (last month), and i love it.

Can't comment on either the mazda or honda but I bought the ford focus too (last month), and i love it.

How much was the Ford?

From my experience, Ford has a lot of problems with engine, gearbox, drive shaft, etc etc, besides the fact the resale value is poor. Mazxda and Honda (along with Toyota) scores top.

How much was the Ford?

From my experience, Ford has a lot of problems with engine, gearbox, drive shaft, etc etc, besides the fact the resale value is poor. Mazxda and Honda (along with Toyota) scores top.

I paid 900k for the 1.8 Ghia, (6cd, leather seats etc). From what i have seen 2nd hand cars of all makes are nearly as expensive to buy as new ones regardless of condition and mileage. Buy a car because you want a car, not because you want to sell it.

I too bought the 1.8 liter Ghia. It's a lot of fun to drive through the mountains on the curvy roads. You pay for that great handling with a rougher ride but it corners like it is on rails. The Ghia is the top of the line and has a lot of goodies including a driver's side 6 way power seat. I bought what I liked and am not worried about resale value. When you are selling there is no such thing as GOOD resale value. When you are buying they ALL have GOOD resale value regardless of the make. :o

Any thoughts??

Morten

Take a test drive of them both, and then make your mind up on which is the better car for you. I think it is better value because of the build and design, plus the engines are Vtec, Vtec are awsome, they kick out a lot of power, the 2 liter has 155 horsepower and the 2 liter Mazda has 141 horsepower. Honda 0-100 in just over 7 secs. plus dont forget the honda has tiptronic gears. (same gear shifts as formular one racing cars) this is a lot of fun to drive with. my car has done 168 KPH in third gear. the Honda is a performance car the Mazda isnt.

plus my wife says the Mazda is ugly inside............. :o

I like the civic because I own one. someone who owns a Mazda is going to prefer that car. all you can do is test drive them both. all I am saying is that I think the Civic offers more for your money thats why it is better value.

Any thoughts??

Morten

Take a test drive of them both, and then make your mind up on which is the better car for you. I think it is better value because of the build and design, plus the engines are Vtec, Vtec are awsome, they kick out a lot of power, the 2 liter has 155 horsepower and the 2 liter Mazda has 141 horsepower. Honda 0-100 in just over 7 secs. plus dont forget the honda has tiptronic gears. (same gear shifts as formular one racing cars) this is a lot of fun to drive with. my car has done 168 KPH in third gear. the Honda is a performance car the Mazda isnt.

I like the civic because I own one. someone who owns a Mazda is going to prefer that car. all you can do is test drive them both. all I am saying is that I think the Civic offers more for your money thats why it is better value.

Great answer.Thx.. Im very picky about the interior. In europe i prefer Audi. Great interior. But ridiculously priced in Thai.

I will test drive both.

Honda 0-100 in just over 7 secs.

Yeah, right....

If it was true then that means it would beat 2l engine BMW 320 and be on par with 2.5l engine 325.

Mazda easily is the best looking car, and apparently it handles better than Civic, but in all other respects Civic comes on top. New Mazdas have higher power output, almost on par with Civic, but forget about standard 2.3l version sold everywhere else, and check what they say about 2l Mazda engines in US reviews - they suck.

Any thoughts??

Morten

Great answer.Thx.. Im very picky about the interior. In europe i prefer Audi. Great interior. But ridiculously priced in Thai.

I will test drive both.

Try Honda on the corner of Ekhemai on Sukhumvit. very good service there and after sales service also. please let me know which car you went for in the end.

Yeah, right....

If it was true then that means it would beat 2l engine BMW 320 and be on par with 2.5l engine 325.

Mazda easily is the best looking car, and apparently it handles better than Civic, but in all other respects Civic comes on top. New Mazdas have higher power output, almost on par with Civic, but forget about standard 2.3l version sold everywhere else, and check what they say about 2l Mazda engines in US reviews - they suck.

Official time for the previous civic 2.0 (7th generation was 9.6 seconds for 0-100. Others have put the time closer to 9 seconds or thereabouts. I own one and that time seems reasonable. The engine is great, but the suspension is a little bouncy in the back. If you got the civic I would suggest a change of springs to bring it on a par with the mazda 3 (which I haven't driven). The gearbox in the civic makes it a little sliggish in my opinion in around the town driving. Fine for high speed cruising though.

Yeah, right....

Official time for the previous civic 2.0 (7th generation was 9.6 seconds for 0-100. Others have put the time closer to 9 seconds or thereabouts. I own one and that time seems reasonable. The engine is great, but the suspension is a little bouncy in the back. If you got the civic I would suggest a change of springs to bring it on a par with the mazda 3 (which I haven't driven). The gearbox in the civic makes it a little sliggish in my opinion in around the town driving. Fine for high speed cruising though.

What horsepower has the 7th generation got for the 2 liter?

Yeah, right....

mate, i would take on a bmw 320 any day, they are about 9.7 sec 0-100. dont forget a bmw weighs a lot more then a civic. plus a 320 only has 141 horsepower.....

Yeah, right....

Actually it is correct but not for the versions sold in Thailand.

Honda Civic Si sedan - I4 2.0L (197 hp) 6M + ABS 0-60 (96kph) > 6.87 Seconds

Mazda without any doubt. The parts are more expensive but it's worth it.

The parts cost more to make up for the long storage they experience without any sales or need to use on sold vehicles.

The Mazda3 is a joy to drive and rivals many a sport car available on the market. Do I own one, YES!

ehh, 320i has 167hp and it does 0-60 (100kph) in 7.5 seconds. Unless your talking about an old model.

you sure???

I went and had a look at one (not that I can afford to buy one) but anyway.........

141 horsepower it said, I might of been mistaken and looked at the 318 but pretty sure it was the 320 as I can remember I looked at the horsepower to compare with my civic.

whatever, the new civic kicks butt, and I think it is pretty fast. its great with the tiptronic gears. I still like it even if it is slower then a BMW.

I thought you bought the Ford for this reason:

"

I had decided on a Honda Civic but ended up with a new Ford Focus because of the 0% interest. I wasn't real happy about taking money out of the stock market to buy a car so the no interest appealed to me. The new Focus Ghia was 939,000 baht. I wanted a new 4X4 pickup but the wife won that argument because we already have a pickup and it was hard to argue that I needed another pickup.

"

Link to previous topic on Thaivisa

North :o