The H3ll Of Being A British Ex-pat

taxexile

Unfortunately Clarksons article made it into the Telegraph also and was no doubt syndicated further afield. My problem with Clarkson is that he's a prat at the best of times and is even worse in real life than on his TV programmes. He lives near my old home in Chipping Norton and I've met him a few times through friends working in Fleet Street (as it was then) and he is a profoundly boring man with little to say about anything other than about motor cars. The only reason he made it into television in the first place is because his mother is a famous author and well connected. Were it not for the latter I suspect he would have enjoyed a spectacularly unsuccessful career as a book keeper or would likely have emigrated himself.

This says a much about the state of the British Media that a paper of the Telegraph's standing (totally at odds with my political views BTW) would run such tosh.

He is representative of the yob culture that pervades the media world these days. It's very untrendy to have anybody presenting a program that can speak English clearly or intellegently. He isn't even funny nowadays and has become self parodying, as Jeremy Paxman became.

There's only so much mileage in cheap laddish sarcasam, insulting, ignorant remarks and knocking things you don't undersand in order to curry favour with in increasingly ignorant viewing public.

Hope he doesn't lower the tone in Thailand by coming over here to live.

Unfortunately Clarksons article made it into the Telegraph also and was no doubt syndicated further afield. My problem with Clarkson is that he's a prat at the best of times and is even worse in real life than on his TV programmes. He lives near my old home in Chipping Norton and I've met him a few times through friends working in Fleet Street (as it was then) and he is a profoundly boring man with little to say about anything other than about motor cars. The only reason he made it into television in the first place is because his mother is a famous author and well connected. Were it not for the latter I suspect he would have enjoyed a spectacularly unsuccessful career as a book keeper or would likely have emigrated himself.

Why would he become a bookkeeper when he started his working life as a journalist?

Well almost, "His first job was as a travelling salesman for his parents' business selling Paddington Bear toys, after which he trained as a journalist with the Rotherham Advertiser". "Not a man given to considered opinion", according to the BBC, understatement if ever there was one.

Oh give it a rest.I don't particularly care for Clarkson nor am very interested in cars.However you have to be deaf, dumb and blind not to recognise that he is one of the most successful journalists in the UK, not only on Topgear but also through a number of best selling books.I am sure he can be very objectionable and laddish but it is pure nonsense to suggest his success came from Paddington Bear.I suspect that one or two barbs in the piece on expats hit home with you.

how 'bout Alexander Graham Bell

Bell emigrated to Canada with his parents when he was 23. It is unlikely he ever considered himself anything other than 100% Scottish or Scots-Canadian, even after obtaining US citizenship (out of necessity), as he eventually made Nova Scotia in Canada his home.

He certainly didn't consider himself American, so sorry to ruin your US imperialist history revisionism.

Nah, no problem. The 'how 'bout?' part was merely a question, kinda a tongue-in-cheek Americanism, a self-denigration, so you needn't worry thyself about my imperialist revisionisms. And whilst we're practicing pedantry, Nova Scotia is in "America." :o

Have they moved it ?

There's only so much mileage in cheap laddish sarcasam, insulting, ignorant remarks and knocking things you don't undersand in order to curry favour with in increasingly ignorant viewing public.

funnily enough , you sound just like him.

This says a much about the state of the British Media that a paper of the Telegraph's standing (totally at odds with my political views BTW) would run such tosh.

He is representative of the yob culture that pervades the media world these days. It's very untrendy to have anybody presenting a program that can speak English clearly or intellegently. He isn't even funny nowadays and has become self parodying, as Jeremy Paxman became.

Hope he doesn't lower the tone in Thailand by coming over here to live.

Why not as Keith Floyd has?

Why would he become a bookkeeper when he started his working life as a journalist?

Well almost, "His first job was as a travelling salesman for his parents' business selling Paddington Bear toys, after which he trained as a journalist with the Rotherham Advertiser". "Not a man given to considered opinion", according to the BBC, understatement if ever there was one.

Oh give it a rest.I don't particularly care for Clarkson nor am very interested in cars.However you have to be deaf, dumb and blind not to recognise that he is one of the most successful journalists in the UK, not only on Topgear but also through a number of best selling books.I am sure he can be very objectionable and laddish but it is pure nonsense to suggest his success came from Paddington Bear.I suspect that one or two barbs in the piece on expats hit home with you.

Ah yes, Doncaster in the 1960's, a veritable breeding ground for literary and journalistic talent, especially when one comes from a wealthy family and mum's the local magistrate! I'm sure you must be correct. :o

Edited by chiang mai

quoted.........."but the OP's citation of America is not accurate. Brits I've met in America are largely happily engaged in upper middle class professions, and I've never seen any Pattaya-loving football hooligans there. ......"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I recon the OP talked from his experience.

But my experiences beg to differ. There are quite a sizeable of Brits in Tampa. Many bought their vacation homes in Tampa Bay area, some live here permanently.

There are also a high numbers of Brits attend schools and universities in Florida. My next door neighbor is the former owner of sport bar in London, they move here 2 summer ago, so their daughter could attend the USF.

Bell emigrated to Canada with his parents when he was 23. It is unlikely he ever considered himself anything other than 100% Scottish or Scots-Canadian, even after obtaining US citizenship (out of necessity), as he eventually made Nova Scotia in Canada his home.

He certainly didn't consider himself American, so sorry to ruin your US imperialist history revisionism.

Nah, no problem. The 'how 'bout?' part was merely a question, kinda a tongue-in-cheek Americanism, a self-denigration, so you needn't worry thyself about my imperialist revisionisms. And whilst we're practicing pedantry, Nova Scotia is in "America." :o

Have they moved it ?

It's the bit in quotes that gives it away! :D i.e. so is Buenos Aires :D

Have they moved it ?

It's the bit in quotes that gives it away! :D i.e. so is Buenos Aires :D

You're both correct in that Nova Scotia and Buenos Aires are both in America (as in continent) but you neglect to specify North or South.

Back to Mr. Clarkson's piece of journalism, which in fact doesn't make sense. He lists off the countries suffering from a brain drain which seem to be all, and implies Britain to be brainier but then contradicts it. So in summary Britain seems to be as worse off as the other countries. So he in fact comes back to his first premise which is all the brainy people have disappeared, his only evidence being that he can't find them anywhere. He has plenty of "well researched evidence" about not finding brainy people who have emigrated but then Britain is full of pickpockets so presumably they are not hiding there either.

I would in fact like to suggest that anyone who is remotely brainy would in fact not keep company with the likes of Mr Clarkson, thereby giving this gentleman the impression that the world is inhabited by thieves and dimwits. This is the only explanation for his strange piece of inconclusive writing.

Clarkson really should stick to subjects he is familiar with. I actually enjoy Top Gear and his comments on cars and things of a 'laddish' nature, but just because he has been on holiday before and had a few business trips does not make him qualified to preach on this topic.

Ah yes, Doncaster in the 1960's, a veritable breeding ground for literary and journalistic talent, especially when one comes from a wealthy family and mum's the local magistrate! I'm sure you must be correct. :o

I'm not sure what your point is.Are you saying that because Clarkson comes from a wealthy background that explains the enormous success he has enjoyed? Are you denying that an individuals's success (or failure) is ultimately his own responsibility? Perhaps in other words you are saying that if one comes from a privileged background then any success is by virtue of that heritage and not to do with one's own efforts.If so, you are profoundly wrong and with respect exhibiting some of the characteristics correctly identified by Clarkson in some expatriates.

Example: Winston Churchill was by most peoples reckoning the saviour of the British nation when there was a real danger of being overwhelmed by genuinely evil forces.Yet he was an old Harrovian,son of a lord, grandson of a duke, born in Blenheim Palace, descendant of Marlborough, inescapably an aristocrat.Should we dismiss his achievements because of his background?

Back to Mr. Clarkson's piece of journalism, which in fact doesn't make sense. He lists off the countries suffering from a brain drain which seem to be all, and implies Britain to be brainier but then contradicts it. So in summary Britain seems to be as worse off as the other countries. So he in fact comes back to his first premise which is all the brainy people have disappeared, his only evidence being that he can't find them anywhere. He has plenty of "well researched evidence" about not finding brainy people who have emigrated but then Britain is full of pickpockets so presumably they are not hiding there either.

I would in fact like to suggest that anyone who is remotely brainy would in fact not keep company with the likes of Mr Clarkson, thereby giving this gentleman the impression that the world is inhabited by thieves and dimwits. This is the only explanation for his strange piece of inconclusive writing.

I seem to have taken on the role of Clarkson defender.Can't you humourless lot see that his tongue is planted very firmly in his cheek.He's having a laugh, geddit? But I have to concede there is a grain of truth in his barbs about the brain numbing expatriate life which is no doubt why there is a rather severe sense of humour failure in some quarters.

I'm not sure what your point is.Are you saying that because Clarkson comes from a wealthy background that explains the enormous success he has enjoyed? Are you denying that an individuals's success (or failure) is ultimately his own responsibility? Perhaps in other words you are saying that if one comes from a privileged background then any success is by virtue of that heritage and not to do with one's own efforts.If so, you are profoundly wrong and with respect exhibiting some of the characteristics correctly identified by Clarkson in some expatriates.

Example: Winston Churchill was by most peoples reckoning the saviour of the British nation when there was a real danger of being overwhelmed by genuinely evil forces.Yet he was an old Harrovian,son of a lord, grandson of a duke, born in Blenheim Palace, descendant of Marlborough, inescapably an aristocrat.Should we dismiss his achievements because of his background?

I make only two points in my posts: the first that Clarkson is a boorish prat, a fact that even his employer the BBC seems to support when they describe him publicly as , “not a man given to considered thought“, put another way, someone who speaks without thinking. Churchill on the other hand, to use your example, was a brilliant orator and a highly reasoned thinker. His success in life, unlike Clarkson was in part by virtue of his background (Graduated from Harrow, commissioned military officer at 21 on active service and an elected MP shortly thereafter).

The second point is that my strongest guess is that Clarkson’s entry into the world of journalism was as a result of his family’s name, position and wealth and that he did not arrive at his current lofty perch because of his own talent and skill. I agree that Top Gear is a highly successful programme but much of that is as a result of the BBC capitalizing on Clarkson’s deficiencies. One can almost imagine the relevant dialogues:

In the very early days:

“Well mommy, now that I’ve been expelled from that nice private school, what do you think I should do, go to work in the Steel Mill or go down the pit?” “(bloody hel_l she thinks to her self) Jeremey darling, why don’t you just come and help mummy sell some Paddington’s?”

Then some time later:

“Jeremy darling, I met the Editor of the Rotherham Rag in my court the other day and he says he wants to give you a nice job where you don’t have to drive so much and wants you to start on Monday”.

And then much much later:

Alan Yentob is sat in his office delighted at the format for the new programme: “this Top Gear proposal is just great, so boorish and laddish and non-mainstream that it has great appeal. But where could we possible get the right personality to front it. I mean, I can’t think of a single presenter in the BBC stable with the pre-requisite lack of skills to do the job and certainly no one with any talent who would want to.

Enter Clarkson, “coffee or tea this afternoon Mr Yentob?”

And the rest is as we say, history.

chiang mai, Did you get done for speeding and lose you licence to Jeremy's mother perchance?

Must say I've found his stuff to be very measured. In other words the reason he gets paid so well {and his books are regular best sellers, despite being retreads of his newspaper columns} is he does something which is difficult but makes it look easy.

Do I like him as a person, on my exposure to him, no, do I think he is talentless, no.

Regards

PS Given his response on being custard pied, describing it as a 'Good shot', I think he has more tolerance then you {or possibly I} give him credit for. At least he kept his sense of humour, which in this thread seems somewhat missing.

chiang mai, Did you get done for speeding and lose you licence to Jeremy's mother perchance?

Must say I've found his stuff to be very measured. In other words the reason he gets paid so well {and his books are regular best sellers, despite being retreads of his newspaper columns} is he does something which is difficult but makes it look easy.

Do I like him as a person, on my exposure to him, no, do I think he is talentless, no.

Regards

PS Given his response on being custard pied, describing it as a 'Good shot', I think he has more tolerance then you {or possibly I} give him credit for. At least he kept his sense of humour, which in this thread seems somewhat missing.

I stand behind my opinion of Dear Jeremy but frankly, nowhere as seriously as you might believe currently. In many respects I was winding you and others up the same way that Clarkson winds up his audience, geddit! But frankly when someone comes along and promotes the journalistic talents of someone like Clarkson, they immediately set themselves up as a target. Now mods, since this thread truly no longer has anything to do with Thailand, perhaps we should ....?

Edited by chiang mai

In the very early days:

“Well mommy, now that I’ve been expelled from that nice private school, what do you think I should do, go to work in the Steel Mill or go down the pit?” “(bloody hel_l she thinks to her self) Jeremey darling, why don’t you just come and help mummy sell some Paddington’s?”

Then some time later:

“Jeremy darling, I met the Editor of the Rotherham Rag in my court the other day and he says he wants to give you a nice job where you don’t have to drive so much and wants you to start on Monday”.

And then much much later:

Alan Yentob is sat in his office delighted at the format for the new programme: “this Top Gear proposal is just great, so boorish and laddish and non-mainstream that it has great appeal. But where could we possible get the right personality to front it. I mean, I can’t think of a single presenter in the BBC stable with the pre-requisite lack of skills to do the job and certainly no one with any talent who would want to.

Enter Clarkson, “coffee or tea this afternoon Mr Yentob?”

And the rest is as we say, history.

:D Very good. :o

It seems that all the world’s clever people have gone missing. We know where the stupid people are. They’re in the White House, or they’re on Big Brother, or they’re singing for Simon Cowell’s supper

that's what happens in uk nowadays. :o

believe it or not!!