Want A Little Racer

dchi2031

I am wanting to build or buy a little Thai bike and make it speedy. I have given up on trying to buy a larger bike 400 cc bike due to fact most of the ones I see are 10+ years old, parts are hard to or exspensive and there's no telling what the many mechanics did before hand. So I was thinking of a Honda CBR 150, Wave or Sonic. Problem is I will have to rely 100% on Thai mechanics, so Im sure I wont get a fair deal. Which bike would be the best, easist to modify? All I want is something fun to ride, takes off quick and can maybe go 150KPH. Also I might buy a used bike to start with. I see many of each model for sale with less than 5,000 km on the clock. I have rented the CBR 150 but would like just a little more power than it got stock. Im thinking of spending 30-50K baht on the bike and maybe 30K more for custom parts and labor.

At that kind of money you could find a 400 and the difference between a CBR400 and a 150 are real..

Sure you may have to hunt a bit and reject a lot of poor condition bikes but your price range is about right.. Probably hold up better in resale too.

I've looked into getting a CB400 for a long time but I know I'll get taken. Im not a bike mechanic and the locals are just looking for a dumb foriengner with money. I don't even trust taking a mechanic with me, they are likely to make a side deal in front of me with out me knowing. (Hey Lek tell white buffalo that its a really good bike and a good deal and when I sell it to him I'll give you 4,000 baht).The few cb400's that looked really good all sold before I could look at them. A smaller new bike with new easy to find parts is a safer bet. Also everyday motoring in these road conditions is better on a small bike.

I am wanting to build or buy a little Thai bike and make it speedy. I have given up on trying to buy a larger bike 400 cc bike due to fact most of the ones I see are 10+ years old, parts are hard to or exspensive and there's no telling what the many mechanics did before hand. So I was thinking of a Honda CBR 150, Wave or Sonic. Problem is I will have to rely 100% on Thai mechanics, so Im sure I wont get a fair deal. Which bike would be the best, easist to modify? All I want is something fun to ride, takes off quick and can maybe go 150KPH. Also I might buy a used bike to start with. I see many of each model for sale with less than 5,000 km on the clock. I have rented the CBR 150 but would like just a little more power than it got stock. Im thinking of spending 30-50K baht on the bike and maybe 30K more for custom parts and labor.
I have this cbr 400 for sale with a book for 75000b

post-41326-1188271995_thumb.jpg

I've looked into getting a CB400 for a long time but I know I'll get taken. Im not a bike mechanic and the locals are just looking for a dumb foriengner with money. I don't even trust taking a mechanic with me, they are likely to make a side deal in front of me with out me knowing. (Hey Lek tell white buffalo that its a really good bike and a good deal and when I sell it to him I'll give you 4,000 baht).The few cb400's that looked really good all sold before I could look at them. A smaller new bike with new easy to find parts is a safer bet. Also everyday motoring in these road conditions is better on a small bike.

While I can understand that issue.. then educate yourself..

You claim to want to build a little racer.. How will have more luck at that process than simply buying one built ??

The money your looking at spending would get a clean enough 400.. Those baby blades are so much better than a tinkered up toy bike (and sorry CBR150 owners.. They are toytown) and IMO would hold its residual value better too.

You could easily get a CBR 150 over 150KPH for 15,000 in modifications.They almost go that fast stock. Probably a new CDI, carb, and exhaust will get you there and beyond. Or you can have one those ancient 400's that you have already seen. They have been rode hard and put away wet. Someone else's problem I say.

While would like to recommend a CBR150R unreservedly, that 400 posted a bit up in the thread seems to be a good deal pending on the condition. I have ridden 400's here, and their power/weight ratio seemed rather low. Also something to take into consideration is type of riding. In town riding would definitely give the nod to a smaller bike for their manuverability. You can definitely cut through traffic much easier with them than you can with the larger bike's fat bodies. Rural rides of not that great of distance would be more in the larger sport bike's favor, although a CBR150R's more relaxed position (assuming you're over 5' 7") actually is more comfortable over a longer distance due to not putting as much strain on your wrists.

Mechanically, I can't comment on the power produced by the 400cc class of bikes, since their practically non-existant in the States except for some chopper-esque Hondas. But considering that the 400's here in Thailand are CBU, it is logical that all performance parts (and even replacement) would have to be imported as well. That adds to their cost.

However if you're not adverse to the import route, rumor has it that Honda's last generation 250 cylinder and head is a bolt on replacement for the CBR150R's. So not only do you get more instant power, it comes in an extremely stealthy package.

Having said all that, assuming that a 400 produces around 40 BHP, you're probably best served getting a NSR or similar "smoker" and rebuilding that. Horsepower is embarrassingly close to a 400, and it has the same small package as a CBR150R. However, it won't be new, although I would think that your desire to make a racer would negate any warranty that you'd get with a new bike anyways.

It's a bit cynical thinking Thais will rob you because you're a foreigner.

However, I agree about NOT buying a 400. In addition, they're more often than not legally registered. To find one that you trust, is in your price range and is legal would be nearly impossible.

Unless you're a big bloke, Raiders, Sonics, CBR150s and even Nouvos are all a lot of fun and capable of 130km/h+ as standard.

Thanks for every ones response. I have ridden a cbr 150 and it was fun for around town. Im thinking of renting a 400 cc bike from the beach and see how I like it. I was thinking it would be better for longer trip although I don't take many long trips.

DCI I tried to have a bit of fun about the 150 in another posting but they all seemed to lack any sense of humour. If all you want is something to nip around town on its a good little bike. If you want to get out and about this beautifl country and put a few miles on the clock then I would look for something else a bit meatier. Im not a great lover of the CB400 but the VFR 400 is a much better bike. As in all things its horses for courses. If you are happy with what you ride thats all that matter. Hope you find what you re after, good hunting and stay upright :o

DCI I tried to have a bit of fun about the 150 in another posting but they all seemed to lack any sense of humour. If all you want is something to nip around town on its a good little bike. If you want to get out and about this beautifl country and put a few miles on the clock then I would look for something else a bit meatier. Im not a great lover of the CB400 but the VFR 400 is a much better bike. As in all things its horses for courses. If you are happy with what you ride thats all that matter. Hope you find what you re after, good hunting and stay upright :o

I ended up getting a used CBR 150 from one of the board members here. Its nice for intown. I tried a 400cc bike and I liked it but I think Im more likely to get into an accident on one. If i do more riding out in the country, I may still get one. Were is a good site that offers more information on CBR150's?

Good decision! I put almost 1000 km on mine now in the city and no problems. Although I certainly would like to have a bigger bike, I think, for touring the city the CBR150R is a very well suited bike.

Off the topic a bit but yesterday evening, I was going to McDonalds on Sukumvit Rd. I was going to take the new CBR there but decided to drive my truck instead. This idiot going about 140 kph racing another car I think, lost control and side swiped me hard. he slid across 4 lanes hit the concrete curb then slid across 4 lanes again to the other side hit the curb so hard it blew out all 4 tires and over the side walk and almost into a building. He slid about 200m. This happened between pattaya bangkok hospital and north rd. I was scared crapless. I almost never drive my truck in town. Iam glad to be alive. Im thinking of selling the bike now that I only had for 2 days. I wanted to kill him but he was scared too and imediatly admitted to fault and appologized. He even told the the police that when they showed up.