Student Visa

Hi guys,

I am planning to take up a thai language course in Bangkok and has been searching information on student visa.

I have this problem in knowing which country to go to to get my student visa done.

Is Penang good enough? Hassle free?

What type of document should i bring there?

1. Photos
  2. letter from school
  3. passport
  4. money
  5. anything else?

Thanks in advance for any help rendered.

I can not speak about Penang because I have never been there, but I did get my student visa from Singapore 3 years ago with just the stuff you had on the list.

The only thing worth mentioning is that they required the letter to be addressed to the Consulate in Singapore so make sure you decide where you are going before the school writes the letter for you.

Bkkthebest, where are you at the moment?

If you are outside Thailand, why not get a non-Ed visa from the Thai consulate in your country? All you need is a letter from the school in Thailand confirming that you have been accepted for study at their school, I believe.

If you are in Bangkok, take the letter from the school to the Immigration office in Soi Suanphlu and ask if you can change your visa status to non-immigrant and get an extension of stay for the reason of study.

--

--

Maestro

If you are in Bangkok, take the letter from the school to the Immigration office in Soi Suanphlu and ask if you can change your visa status to non-immigrant

check who the letter is addressed to - my school says Ministry of Education will only issue the letter addressed to the consulate and two different officers at Suanphlu told me they would not accept the letter unless it was addressed to Immigration

has anyone (apart from a Chula student) recently done this successfully?

bkkguy

• 3 months later...

Hmmm ... I was just surfing the net for information about ED visa ...

Is it right that I could stay in Thailand with 3-entry-tourist visa for a half year and after this, apply for a ED visa in Singapore, Cambodia etc.? Or do I have to apply for ED visa in my home country?

As far as ED visas are concerned we never had a refusal from Cambodia so if someone has the required documents obtaining an ED visa in Phnom Phen should not be a problem, the only issue we noticed was that they are taking one day longer to process the application so instead of picking up your visa the next day it will be the day after in other words 3 days are required. This is our experience.

Walen School, Mac