Bringing In A Container

ka12345

Ok, I know this topic has been discussed before but I just want a refresher.

We're moving back to TH in a couple of months. A shipping company quoted me $1900 for a 20ft container "door to port". Sounds good enough for me but I want to avoid paying huge bribes to customs in TH.

My wife is Thai and we have been away from TH for 2 years. We'll send the container in her name.

1) How detailed does the packing list need to be? Do every piece of clothing, every toy and every frying pan need to be listed or can "small stuff" be grouped together as "2 boxes of clothes, 3 boxes of toys, 4 boxes of kitchenware"?

2) Are there any other documents in addition to pack list/shipping docs that we get from the shipping co that can be useful for getting the things through customs?

3) Can anyone recommend a good customs broker that won't empty my wallet?

4) What would be the typical 'total' to get the container through customs and for transporting it to the final destination in BKK?

5) Are there any items we should avoid shipping / that will make it more troublesome to get it through customs (currently just furniture, toys, kitchenware, computer, clothes, a small boat etc)

i send a container in Thailand 24 may 1999 i ask my student friend to put everything on his name , as student no tax will be paid ..

did not have any problems , a friend of the family was on the dock , the company i use was Sea Land service ( bangkok ) 02 661 3388 - 02 661 3408 one must be fax.

the cost was very low between Australia and Thailand , the most was the packing and put in container ..

find good people and it will be fine , make sure the tax is not to high on landing ..

I did not show myself there ..

BCR Freight was the shipping compagny, 3500 weight 2o' container 43 piece of house hold .

Everything was in English and Thai , come back to me if you need .

bye

dollars are in Australian currencies

I think all the move cost me around 4500$, about 1800$ for packing and put in container , 300$ for container coming to my home , 900$ for Melbourne to Bangkok , 1000$ for insurance , clear in Bangkok 8000 bahts , delivery to my home few thousand.

Yes it was a full container , 43 pieces of furniture’s or box , 3500 kilo , BCR freight 6195257922 was the shipping company …

simcity -

Hello. I am intrigued by your idea of using a student friend to send goods to Thailand. What sort of documentation did he have to provide? Did he travel to Thailand with you? Did he have to show his passport? Please fill us in.

Thanks

Frank

Fbr82

Hi sorry for the delay , I just ring my friend , he said he went to customs in Thailand , they told him as a student oversea he can bring back his own belonging ( one of each ).

He was living with me in australia.

I send my stuffs in a container on his name, a friend of the family working in the customs department was helping, no tax was paid , but a new stamps was enter in his passport saying no more furniture can be bought in Thailand .

I am sure you need to have someone on the docks helping you, and someone to truth as carrier .

Perhaps some under table money is necessary ?? I have a large house in Melbourne and split my furniture between my two places .

Khun wife recons she can bring 1 container with "personal effects" to LOS from UK and all tax free.

Trouble is she wants to squeeze a new Landrover Discovery between the sofa and the microve wave oven.I am a little bit doubtfull. :D

Her mate over there who of course just happens to work in the Customs Dept.says its OK...however :o So has anyone done it?