Paul Van Dyk @ Astra Tomorrow ?!

CarlBkk

Was surprised to see the ad in Guru mag as I thought Astra has closed completely. Anyway, 1000 baht on the door (+ free drink), Thurs night...anyone going? Oxford Will?!

Would love to but can't. Been to three PVD performances before. Great!

Cheers.

Wow it was packed. Great atmosphere and a good crowd of people who realise there's more to music than following a hip hop scene in BKK.

PVD's set for me was too hard house and not uplifting enough, I think he's changed his style since "for an angel" and other classic tracks. Van Buuren has probably taken over as more preferable.

Chiva's were brilliant - whiskey/cokes 220 baht at the bar but handed out free all night at the Chiva's bar!!

Carl, I like deep house and chill house, but any good int'l act. If you're watching the scene, will you let us know again when a good international DJ will come? Thanks.

Hi Chinthee, yep...I know that Lisa Shaw is at Club Culture soon (but that's US House...not my thing) and Oakenfold is doing his regular annual visit to Narcissus in October, but other than that I keep my eyes on club websites (astra, bed, narcissus, club culture, jazz it) and BK and Guru mags.

Carl, I like deep house and chill house, but any good int'l act. If you're watching the scene, will you let us know again when a good international DJ will come? Thanks.

Armin Van Buuren is coming on the 4th of October. If you are looking for deep house, then Glow is the place to be on this Saturday. They have a DJ all the way from Chicago, DJ Benz. Really great music from that guy.

Armin Van Buuren is coming on the 4th of October.

Just read this in BK mag and couldn't believe it! I'm a happy, happy man. Narcissus is just great and Van Buuren is excellent. I'll be there no matter what, even though it's a Thursday night :o

Armin Van Buuren is coming on the 4th of October. If you are looking for deep house, then Glow is the place to be on this Saturday. They have a DJ all the way from Chicago, DJ Benz. Really great music from that guy.

Alex,

Thanks for that. We'll be at Glow tomorrow night for Benz, and also mark our calendars for 4th Oct. Thanks for keeping a lookout.

read bangkok recorder dot com

half of orbital is at club culture tonight. can remember which hartnoll. expect elctro breaks.

ron carrol is certainly worth a look as well i saw him 2 years ago at astra and it was brilliant.

as for pvd, oakenfold and van burin, whatever floats yer boat

read bangkok recorder dot com

half of orbital is at club culture tonight. can remember which hartnoll. expect elctro breaks.

it's more bangkokrecorder dot com (it's not allowed post real urls?)

don't have only a look at the start or event page of bangkokrecorder dot com, they have a forum section too. usally promoters and club owners post there information about the parties they run. sometimes a discussion evolved and you will get the idea if that will be any good or not.

it's Phil Hartnoll at club culture, not live but a DJ set.

but for today i recommend the dude sweet party at astra. main act DJ is reuben wu from the band ladytron, he will spin electro. also plays MOMOKOMOTION, the japanese girl played before with Futon, now with her solo project and Cyndi Seui, thai artist form smallroom records play some pop/ 8-bit micromusic electro.

astra will look like never before, there is also a hugh special light installation inside.

if dudesweet called out for a party there always a lot of people and always great fun. better don't miss it.

http://www.dudesweet.org/next_eng.html

there happen a lot in bangkok and not only paul von dyke or armin buuren, or at the two well known clubs on suk soi 11 or the top 40 hiphop at the typical thai places.

and i will second the recommendation of the glow club.

I always read about Dudesweet parties but have been tried one. Maybe time to go tonight. So I guess Astra is back open on a regular basis now? Anyone tried Jazz It club on RCA? (www.rcapub.com)

no, i think astra is only open for special occasions. there are rumours that some investors had buy the place and will it turn to something like a new ministry of sound club with an soundsystem never heard before in bangkok. or maybe that will happen in the old 'time out' or both places together.

and you should come to the astra today. will be very good, i saw photo of the light installation. like a big ikebana flower in the middle of the club. for PvD you mentioned the "great atmosphere and a good crowd of people" that you will have at dude sweet party for sure. and that is what dudesweet is famous for.

old astra has the same owner like the new club culture and is run by the same team and the same standards in music. not really sure why the change the venue, a lot of people including me miss the old astra and it takes some time before they start to love the new club.

for jazz it, has it ups and downs. had cool parties there, when it was something special on the menue. like soma indie nights, chicks rock, dude sweet and so on.

normal club policy was and is house and it struggle same as the now closed 'time out club'. not many people come for the regular house nights. right now they have a deal with slim or flix bar. it's an after club. after 2 am. all the slim/flix people come sitting dancing around their whiskymixer table to mainstream slim hip hop. before 2 is house music and later the night maybe again. but with the typical thai hip hop listing crowd not that what it has been before.

keep checking the bangkokrecorder forum, better source of information and more focussed then the weekly friday mags and you will find the other music and parties and partygoers behind the hip hop. trance lovers get always a little bit bitching at the forum but there is a spirited scene as well.

and happy birthday carl. i guess sooner or later we will met each other in person. a small scene for us foreigners, you see same faces often, very kind people.

I've been to Club Culture a few times and everything I can say is that I wasn't impressed at all. The club looks like a thai traditional restaurant, the sound is awful since all the speakers are in front, by the DJ booth (a DJ has his monitors there all right), it never gets crowded enough for a good party, most of the DJs are rather poor, all in all, it doesn't worth it. I'd rather go for Flix, Narcissus, Glow, etc.

Edited by alexth

• 2 weeks later...
Jazzit now is running together with slim/flix, it is nicknamed DUDE. The night starts very late and ends even later... it's full everynight just remember to go there VERY VERY LATE.. hiphop for an hour or so then house..

Hip-Hop in JazzIt??? Are you sure? I hope you're joking, that place used to have some really good music.

And let's not forget Armin Van Buuren on the 4th of October in Narcissus :o I can't wait.

I'm gearing up for it already. Pre-drinks at Thonglor first and then the main event. A few of us facebookers on the Thailand network (who don't have work the next day, and some that do) are going to get together for it. How sweet are we.

• 4 weeks later...