Mounting A Network Volume.

Crossy

Operating system is WinXP or Win2k.

I have a 1.5TB NAS (Network Attached Storage) drive with a possibility of another in the near future (runs under FreeBSD).

My application really wants these drives to appear as subdirectories of a local volume (I CAN make it work without, just a convenience thing).

I can do this with physical volumes using the MOUNTVOL command or via the 'Attach to NTFS directory' function provided by the disk manager but these options don't appear to work for network volumes.

So anyone know how I can get the MOUNTVOL functionality with a network drive?

Easy eh :o

I am only sticking a finger in the air to see which way the wind blows, but it sounds like a server application would provide the best result for such a drive on a network. (1.5TB I want) :o

I'm really trying to avoid running more servers than I have to, and I'm not sure that I can do what I want anyway :D

The 1.5T is four Seagate ST3500641A-RK 500G drives running as a RAID-5 under FreeNAS, a NAS appliance based on FreeBSD, it works brilliantly (the CPU is a PIII 800 with 256M, just the thing for that old PC that nobody wants anymore), I'll be adding another 4 of the same if I can get a good price on them.

The volume maps great as drive letters on the workstation. I just want to avoid using up drive letters and access it as a subdirectory like I can all the local drives. Yes, I want to use Unix (actually Solaris) which can do this easily, unfortunately my application needs Windows :D

I am only sticking a finger in the air to see which way the wind blows, but it sounds like a server application would provide the best result for such a drive on a network. (1.5TB I want) :o

I'm really trying to avoid running more servers than I have to, and I'm not sure that I can do what I want anyway :D

The 1.5T is four Seagate ST3500641A-RK 500G drives running as a RAID-5 under FreeNAS, a NAS appliance based on FreeBSD, it works brilliantly (the CPU is a PIII 800 with 256M, just the thing for that old PC that nobody wants anymore), I'll be adding another 4 of the same if I can get a good price on them.

The volume maps great as drive letters on the workstation. I just want to avoid using up drive letters and access it as a subdirectory like I can all the local drives. Yes, I want to use Unix (actually Solaris) which can do this easily, unfortunately my application needs Windows :D

So mount them and set them up as a samba share and map those to the WINTEL boxes with thier CIFS.

So mount them and set them up as a samba share and map those to the WINTEL boxes with thier CIFS.

OK so we have a SAMBA share mapped just fine as a drive letter on the Wintel box.

I'm obviously missing something blindingly fundamental 'coz I can't for the life of me see how to link this share to a directory of an existing volume a-la MOUNTVOL :o

Why do you want to have this as a subfolder on another volume? I can't think of a situation where a root drive letter wouldn't work just as well?

I have no idea if this works, but it promises to do exactly what you want to do:

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10877-5975262.html

I remember the old 'subst' command, for some reason I thought it wouldn't work, I'll give it a go anyway since I've not tried it :o

As to why, primarily convenience, I like the Unix concept of everthing looking like one drive, no mucking around with (limited) drive letters. I've got all my local drives linked along with my MP3 player, camera etc. all are accessable as folders of drive D:

Why do you want to have this as a subfolder on another volume? I can't think of a situation where a root drive letter wouldn't work just as well?

I have no idea if this works, but it promises to do exactly what you want to do:

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10877-5975262.html

I remember the old 'subst' command, for some reason I thought it wouldn't work, I'll give it a go anyway since I've not tried it :D

As to why, primarily convenience, I like the Unix concept of everthing looking like one drive, no mucking around with (limited) drive letters. I've got all my local drives linked along with my MP3 player, camera etc. all are accessable as folders of drive D:

Subst doesn't do the job :o

It is intended to allow you to access a sub-folder using a drive letter which is exactly the opposite to what I need ie to access a drive letter using a sub-folder, such is life :D