Unable To Open A Bank Account

Quite simple and anyone can get a savings account. :o

Well britmaverick,quite wrong,Bank of Thailand says clear "no workpermit,no bankaccount"i know some banks in Pattaya ignore that rule,but after all it is not legal and i guess one day they will just confiscate all money from foreigner without workpermit,because here is noting impossible

Britmaveric is quite right. I went into the Silom Rd Bangkok Bank at the beginning of last year with my passport showing 30-day visit stamp and opened a passbook account, no problem. They gave me an ATM card, and they charge 10 baht for any withdrawal at a branch other than Silom. I load it up from my UK bank for a couple of quid via the internet before I go on a visit. When I retire to Thailand I'll try and keep the same system going, at least to start with

If that is true it is a very new charge as there was no such 10 baht fee on August 29. Fee is charged if you use out of area (outside Bangkok in this case) or use an ATM POOL machine more than 3 or 4 times in the same month (only three baht I believe).

They gave me an ATM card, and they charge 10 baht for any withdrawal at a branch other than Silom.

I thought you could do transactions at any other branch (or ATM) within the city/province without that service charge.

My bank accounts are with SCB in Bangkok and Pattaya. I can use my Bangkok account for transactions throughout Bangkok without service charge. I can use my Pattaya accounts for transactions throughout Cholburi province without service charge.

Before I decided on SCB (while I was living in Bangkok) I researched Bangkok Bank and thought they operated in the same manner.

BTW, both Bangkok Bank an SCB were able to open savings accounts for me with just a visa-waiver stamp in my passport. I do remember them both telling me on the telephone to go to their main branch to do it, though.

B Bank Klong Toey ..Suk Rd.....opposite the Ambassadores hotel....no problem....

up stairs turn right...Leo Qua ..and ask the lassie for a savings account...

last time I got a FREE Be first Watch....and it still works......better than all my Gen fake rolexes over the years ......... :o and still wearing it .....

never got one from..HSBC..RBS..Halifax..Amex...Nationwide ..AMRO..Citi b..Islamic Bank of bahrain...Campu ..Bank of Cambodia..or evenTSB...wot a bunch of skin flints...well done BB..... :D

i know some banks in Pattaya ignore that rule,but after all it is not legal and i guess one day they will just confiscate all money from foreigner without workpermit,because here is noting impossible

No, it's not illegal since it's company policys, not laws.

Hello Rinda,

Can you help the ignorant? Where you say "B Bank Klong Toey ..Suk Rd.....opposite the Ambassadores hotel" Is that in Bangkok/Pattaya or elsewhere? :o

Thanks

Tom

B Bank Klong Toey ..Suk Rd.....opposite the Ambassadores hotel....no problem....

last time I got a FREE Be first Watch....and it still works......better than all my Gen fake rolexes over the years ......... :D and still wearing it .....

never got one from..HSBC..RBS..Halifax..Amex...Nationwide ..AMRO..Citi b..Islamic Bank of bahrain...Campu ..Bank of Cambodia..or evenTSB...wot a bunch of skin flints...well done BB..... :D

Hello Rinda,

Can you help the ignorant? Where you say "B Bank Klong Toey ..Suk Rd.....opposite the Ambassadores hotel" Is that in Bangkok/Pattaya or elsewhere? :o

Thanks

Tom

last time I got a FREE Be first Watch....and it still works......better than all my Gen fake rolexes over the years ......... :D and still wearing it .....

Its Bangkok

Well britmaverick,quite wrong,Bank of Thailand says clear "no workpermit,no bankaccount"i know some banks in Pattaya ignore that rule,but after all it is not legal and i guess one day they will just confiscate all money from foreigner without workpermit,because here is noting impossible

what rubbish! :o

Had an account in Thai Farmer Bank (K-Bank) some 8 years ago, when I was on non-immigrant visa with work permit.

For some reasons, I moved back to my home country so surrender my WP and did cancel my non-immi visa. At that time did not close that Thai Account. There were some 500 or may be 1000 bath inside.

And now after quite a LONG time (some 8 years) I am here in Thailand on my Non-immigration multi entry visa. Went to my bank branch, gave them my account number and request them to continue my old account.

Everything was fine, deposit money into that account, apply new ATm (already received) apply Cyber banking (Already activated)

No problem at all. :o

Unless you are doing 90 day address reports (extension of stay) it is probably better to ask your Embassy for such a letter. And yes, the law is the house owner must report your presence within 24 hours (however this is normally only enforced on hotels, unless someone calls attention to it) and there is a small fine involved for not doing so.

So all persons should report their adress of stay to immigration within 24 hours of their arrival. When it comes to tourists the hotels usually take care of this reporting?

Just opened a savings account at Siam Commercial Bank in Sisaket

Copy of passport (I have 1 year retirement extension but they only wanted the picture page! and driving license

Within 5 minutes I had book, ATM card and internet access for the account

Very quick and friendly + a new gift (wall clock)

It certainly seems like the luck of the draw if you get bank accounts etc. in this country.

I've been here since 1989 and after getting an annual driving licence for 3 years I was offered a lifetime driving licence. I agreed, paid my 1,005 baht and my licence was issued. The very next day I went with my friend to the same office and he saw the same clerk to renew his licence. He asked for a lifetime licence and they told him he couldn't have one because he's a farang.

Earlier this year I applied for a 3mth savings account at BKK bank where I already have an ordinary savings account in my name. They told me I could have the account but they can't pay me interest because I'm non-resident and it was no good getting a residency certificate. I went to SCB and they said no account, because I have no WP. I already have a savings account there, as well, but decided to keep quiet in case they told me to close it.

I am on a retirement visa.

It's the luck of the draw, does your face fit, and how the clerk feels on the day that seems to decide things.

Edited by thaireg