Tips For A One Day Bangkok Experience Please!

trinity1

hi! i'll be visiting bangkok next week. i will actually be just in transit from my trip from africa to the philippines. i decided the stay the night and explore the city. i will be arriving at 1pm on a thursday and will leave 2pm the next day. i will be staying at yamato hotel. i want to make the most out of my short stay so can you guys please suggest some sights i can see? i really want to see some temples and a slice of bangkok life. however, from my research, it seems that the temples close at around 3pm? will i have enough time to catch it right after my arrival or just before my departure? is my hotel near the tourist attractions? what mode of public transport is best to take?

please give me tips! i'll really appreciate it. thank you! :o

hi! i'll be visiting bangkok next week. i will actually be just in transit from my trip from africa to the philippines. i decided the stay the night and explore the city. i will be arriving at 1pm on a thursday and will leave 2pm the next day. i will be staying at yamato hotel. i want to make the most out of my short stay so can you guys please suggest some sights i can see? i really want to see some temples and a slice of bangkok life. however, from my research, it seems that the temples close at around 3pm? will i have enough time to catch it right after my arrival or just before my departure? is my hotel near the tourist attractions? what mode of public transport is best to take?

Your hotel is pretty far from downtown Bangkok and the sights & traffic there.  You are, tho, close to the airport.  However there are some spots in Samut Prakan.

Here's one, Ancient City:    http://tinyurl.com/2b57vm

Here's some more, you could probably get a taxi for several hours for baht 1,500 or so:  http://www.tatnews.org/tourism_news/3124.asp

There's more via a google for:  samut prakan tourist

Mac

Don't know your hotel location, I take it from the others that it is located in Samet Prakan area - south-east of central Bangkok. You are really time limited. If you land at 1 pm, you likely won't be in your hotel till 3 in the afternoon at the earliest. Then to see the real Bangkok, you would have to get back to the center of town and burn up another couple hours so it's now like 5-6 pm and most public attractions are closed (but the nitelife is just getting started). If I were you, to save time, I would store my luggage at the airport (just take a small bag with your toiletries and a change of clothes with you) and go directly from the airport to the historic area of Bangkok. What you really want to see is the Temple of the Emerald Buddha (Wat Prae Kheow). This is the most revered and important temple in Thailand (probably the most pretty and interesting as well). I don't know it's opening hours but I assume it's open till dusk like most temples. If you go direct from the airport, you should have plenty of time to see it. There is a nominal entry fee for tourists. Also, dress appropriately (long pants and shirt-sleeves for men; conservative dress/skirt blouse for women. If you go, be careful of touts near the entry ways...they will tell you all sorts of stories that the temple is closed or there is some ceremony so no public access that day and try to sell you on a tour somewhere else. Ignore them and follow the crowds to the main entrance.

Wat Pho (Temple of the Reclining Buddha) is also close by. Here you could also take in a massage (famous Thai massage school at the temple) to relax from your long flight. You then have the option of staying in town for the evening (and going to your hotel later in the evening when the traffic is better). As you would be quite tired at this point, some cool and comfort is called...a good shopping center. If you have the energy and want to see lots of nick-knack type stuff, go to MBK (Mah Bong Kong) at the Siam Square area. This is a large intersection in central Bangkok where there are large shopping centers located all around. Just have a walk-around and shop if you want or relax and eat or have a latte in any of the hundreds of stores/restos/cafés in the area.

Then get on the skytrain (elevated light-rail line) at Siam Square area and go to On-Nut station. This is the end of the line and in the direction of SAmut Prakhan province. Get off at On-Nut and catch a taxi from there to your hotel.

That's what I would do if I had your schedule for a Bangkok visit.

PS: The Ancient City is nice...it has scale replicas of many famous sites, building, monuments from around Thailand. However, it is all outdoors and requires alto of walking and is usually very hot in Thailand. It's interesting but not very relaxing and not part of authentic Thailand. It is a tourist attraction...albiet a nice one.

Edited by jonniebkk

Your hotel is pretty far from downtown Bangkok and the sights & traffic there. You are, tho, close to the airport. However there are some spots in Samut Prakan.

Here's one, Ancient City: http://tinyurl.com/2b57vm

Here's some more, you could probably get a taxi for several hours for baht 1,500 or so: http://www.tatnews.org/tourism_news/3124.asp

There's more via a google for: samut prakan tourist

Mac

Thank you for all the info Mac! :D

This is pretty interesting:

5 RECOMMENDED SIGHT-SEEING PROGRAMMES

A ONE HOUR DRIVE FROM SUVARNABHUMI AIRPORT

ROUTE 1 (7.5 hrs)

Suvarnabhumi Airport – Erawan Museum – Naval Museum – Ancient City – Samut Prakan Crocodile Farm and Zoo

ROUTE 2 (6.5 hrs)

Suvarnabhumi Airport – Samut Prakan Crocodile Farm and Zoo – Bang Pu seaside resort – Ancient City

ROUTE 3 (4 hrs 45 mins.)

Suvarnabhumi Airport – Bang Phli Market – Wat Bang Phli Yai Nai temple – Wat Bang Phli Yai Klang temple

ROUTE 4 (4 hrs 40 mins.)

Suvarnabhumi Airport – Khlong Suan Market – Wat Sothon Vararam Voraviharn – Cruise along the Bangpakong River – Ban Mai Riverside Market – Wat Chin Pracha Samosorn shrine – Wat Uphai Phatikaram temple

Would you know what times these temples/sights close? Given that I still have to go through all the airport checks, go to my hotel, and hail a cab, I might get to start my sightseeing no later than 3pm. Maybe I can check out the other sites the next day since I am leaving for the airport at 11am?

Don't know your hotel location, I take it from the others that it is located in Samet Prakan area - south-east of central Bangkok. You are really time limited. If you land at 1 pm, you likely won't be in your hotel till 3 in the afternoon at the earliest. Then to see the real Bangkok, you would have to get back to the center of town and burn up another couple hours so it's now like 5-6 pm and most public attractions are closed (but the nitelife is just getting started). If I were you, to save time, I would store my luggage at the airport (just take a small bag with your toiletries and a change of clothes with you) and go directly from the airport to the historic area of Bangkok. What you really want to see is the Temple of the Emerald Buddha (Wat Prae Kheow). This is the most revered and important temple in Thailand (probably the most pretty and interesting as well). I don't know it's opening hours but I assume it's open till dusk like most temples. If you go direct from the airport, you should have plenty of time to see it. There is a nominal entry fee for tourists. Also, dress appropriately (long pants and shirt-sleeves for men; conservative dress/skirt blouse for women. If you go, be careful of touts near the entry ways...they will tell you all sorts of stories that the temple is closed or there is some ceremony so no public access that day and try to sell you on a tour somewhere else. Ignore them and follow the crowds to the main entrance.

Wat Pho (Temple of the Reclining Buddha) is also close by. Here you could also take in a massage (famous Thai massage school at the temple) to relax from your long flight. You then have the option of staying in town for the evening (and going to your hotel later in the evening when the traffic is better). As you would be quite tired at this point, some cool and comfort is called...a good shopping center. If you have the energy and want to see lots of nick-knack type stuff, go to MBK (Mah Bong Kong) at the Siam Square area. This is a large intersection in central Bangkok where there are large shopping centers located all around. Just have a walk-around and shop if you want or relax and eat or have a latte in any of the hundreds of stores/restos/cafés in the area.

Then get on the skytrain (elevated light-rail line) at Siam Square area and go to On-Nut station. This is the end of the line and in the direction of SAmut Prakhan province. Get off at On-Nut and catch a taxi from there to your hotel.

That's what I would do if I had your schedule for a Bangkok visit.

PS: The Ancient City is nice...it has scale replicas of many famous sites, building, monuments from around Thailand. However, it is all outdoors and requires alto of walking and is usually very hot in Thailand. It's interesting but not very relaxing and not part of authentic Thailand. It is a tourist attraction...albiet a nice one.

Thank you jonniebkk! :o Yes! I really love to see all the places you mentioned. Is it possible for me to store my luggage at the airport? Where at?

Hi guys! Can you also give me suggestions on where I can have a good (but not so pricey) Thai dinner. Some have suggested Cabbages and Condoms. Thanks!

Yes, there is a baggage storage facility at most airports. I am sure Bangkok airport has one somewhere...have never used it so don't know exactly where it's located. Just ask the airport staff...it should be somewhere in the main terminal after you pass immigration. For a nominal fee they will store your bags and you can pick them up the next day when you leave. This will save you time and the hassle of lugging them around as you are basically only staying overnite.

Nix Cabbages and Condoms (and your guide book while you're at it). One of the biggest tourist trap restos in Bangkok. I don't live in Bangkok anymore so not too current on the best places for Thai right now. However, I am sure someone will post a few reccos. The street food is also usually very good and healthy. Just follow your nose and eat where there is a crowd sitting around.

Hi guys! Can you also give me suggestions on where I can have a good (but not so pricey) Thai dinner. Some have suggested Cabbages and Condoms. Thanks!

Yes, there is a baggage storage facility at most airports. I am sure Bangkok airport has one somewhere...have never used it so don't know exactly where it's located. Just ask the airport staff...it should be somewhere in the main terminal after you pass immigration. For a nominal fee they will store your bags and you can pick them up the next day when you leave. This will save you time and the hassle of lugging them around as you are basically only staying overnite.

Nix Cabbages and Condoms (and your guide book while you're at it). One of the biggest tourist trap restos in Bangkok. I don't live in Bangkok anymore so not too current on the best places for Thai right now. However, I am sure someone will post a few reccos. The street food is also usually very good and healthy. Just follow your nose and eat where there is a crowd sitting around.

I actually ate at Cabbages and Condoms last month - and it's not bad at all, though the prices are higher for obvious reasons. I don't think I would call it a tourist trap though. Nevertheless there are plenty of Thai restaurants anywhere which will serve up great food for next to nothing.

Thank you jonniebkk! You've been very helpful. :o

I actually ate at Cabbages and Condoms last month - and it's not bad at all, though the prices are higher for obvious reasons. I don't think I would call it a tourist trap though. Nevertheless there are plenty of Thai restaurants anywhere which will serve up great food for next to nothing.

Thanks for the heads up onethailand! :o

I didn't say the food at cabbages and condoms was bad...just that it was a tourist type place...just have to see the tour buses parked in the parking lot to know that. However, the owner has done remarkably good work in spreading knowledge of the importance of safe-sex in Thailand. I would post an inquiry on a place to eat in the "Thai Food" section of this forum...that should bring forth some good reccos.

I didn't say the food at cabbages and condoms was bad...just that it was a tourist type place...just have to see the tour buses parked in the parking lot to know that. However, the owner has done remarkably good work in spreading knowledge of the importance of safe-sex in Thailand. I would post an inquiry on a place to eat in the "Thai Food" section of this forum...that should bring forth some good reccos.

Sorry to said , but I find it bad !

Service / luck warm / tasteless , one of my worth / semi expensive meal in Bangkok !

I did write a letter of complaint to the management and one for the tourist guide !

I do not complaint often about restaurant but this one was a accumulation of disappointments after disappointments !

But as you said thumb up for the owner work on HIV

Go see the Grand Palace.

Don't believe the friendly people near the entrance saying the place is closed...They hang out there trying to con people.

Actually, I think it does close in the afternoon around 3;00pm?

A Canal Tour?

Go to the river and hire a private longtail for about 600bht/hour.

Place for good Thai food?

Go down Sukhumvit-Soi 55, (BTS Station Thong Lor) to the corner of Sub-Soi 13.

Nice Thai restaurant.

Nitelife?

Try Soi Cowboy in the evening.

Edited by UnknownPoster

Touristy type place? No, it's authentic Thailand. We have a "branch" restaurant up here in the heart of Isaan (the "Appalachia" of Thailand). Go there, enjoy authentic, delicious Thai food in a clean restaurant and upbeat atmosphere.

Thanks jonniebkk! :o

Go see the Grand Palace.

Don't believe the friendly people near the entrance saying the place is closed...They hang out there trying to con people.

A Canal Tour?

Nice Thai restaurant.

Nitelife?

Wow, thank you for the tips UnknownPoster! :o

One question though, do the canal tours last all day long or is it also only up to a certain time?

Touristy type place? No, it's authentic Thailand. We have a "branch" restaurant up here in the heart of Isaan (the "Appalachia" of Thailand). Go there, enjoy authentic, delicious Thai food in a clean restaurant and upbeat atmosphere.

Okay, toptuan. I will try to visit as many places as I can, my limited time notwithstanding. Thailand is a wonderful country. :o

Go see the Grand Palace.

A Canal Tour?

Nice Thai restaurant.

Nitelife?

One question though, do the canal tours last all day long or is it also only up to a certain time?

Take the Skytrain to the river and negociate for a private longtail boat. Daytime is best.

Should be 600bt...maybe more..

There are ferries that ply the river for only a few baht if you want to go that way.

Go see the Grand Palace.

A Canal Tour?

Nice Thai restaurant.

e

Nitelife?

Wow, thank you for the tips UnknownPoster! :D

Take the Skytrain to the river and negociate for a private longtail boat. Daytime is best.

There are ferries that ply the river for only a few baht if you want to go that way.

"Grand Palace" = Temple of the Emerald Bhudda = Wat Phra Keow :D

River canal "tour" for B600!!! are you crazy...do what real Bangkok people do...just get on the river taxi at any of the stops (I believe the Ta Tien pier is near the Grand Palace...just ask a Thai to point the way). Then just get on the river boat "bus" boat going towards Nonthaburi (upriver). Ride it to the end of the line and then back to Saphan Taskin pier/jetty. Pay only B20-30 each way!!! And you can see all the river sights and temples along the river. At the Taskin pier, you can easily connect onto the skytrain system to get to Siam Square area or On Nut station.

Have fun :o

Go see the Grand Palace.

A Canal Tour?

Nice Thai restaurant.

Nitelife?

Oh okay. I'm sure the canal tour is best done at daytime but given my limited time I may be able to do it late in the afternoon. Thanks!

Go see the Grand Palace.

A Canal Tour?

Nice Thai restaurant.

e

Nitelife?

River canal "tour" for B600!!! are you crazy...do what real Bangkok people do...just get on the river taxi at any of the stops (I believe the Ta Tien pier is near the Grand Palace...just ask a Thai to point the way). Then just get on the river boat "bus" boat going towards Nonthaburi (upriver). Ride it to the end of the line and then back to Saphan Taskin pier/jetty. Pay only B20-30 each way!!! And you can see all the river sights and temples along the river. At the Taskin pier, you can easily connect onto the skytrain system to get to Siam Square area or On Nut station.

Sounds good to me! Thank you jonniebkk for all the tips! I'm sure I'll have a great time in your lovely city. :D

Go see the Grand Palace.

A Canal Tour?

Nice Thai restaurant.

e

Nitelife?

By the way, let's say I do the whole river taxi route from Ta Tien going to Nonthaburi then back to Saphan Taskin, how long will that ride take do you think?

From Taskin Pier I can just walk to Skytrain?

what a troll this whole thread is. fun to see some experienced members biting.

If you don't want to help me think_too_mut, it's okay. You need not make unnecessary rude remarks like that. Thanks.

You have spent 2 days watching what answers your nonsense question generates?

About what you can see in a 10 million people city in 3-4 hours.

If you don't want to help me think_too_mut, it's okay. You need not make unnecessary rude remarks like that. Thanks.

You have spent 2 days watching what answers your nonsense question generates?

About what you can see in a 10 million people city in 3-4 hours.

think_too_mut,

You are out of line here!!! Nothing wrong with that question.

My apologies.

What you really want - if it were available at Suvarnabhumi is this:

http://www.visitsingapore.com/publish/stbp...r__transit.html

But it's not available, not that I know of.

My take - if you are not a bar fly and don't want to hit Nana or Soi Cowboy, for 1 afternoon/evening I would just get a taxi to the Seacon square, the shopping mall, it's roughly in the area.

It was the largest on the planet when it opened, there you can see the mix of west and Thai, all in one, gigantic, place.

Edited by think_too_mut

id go to the crocodile farm in samut prakan and the Erawan temple (not the erawan shrine at the hilton)...both are in the same area, and for a thai meal id go to a restaurant in Bang Bu on the waters of bangkok harbor....all are in the same area.

id also change hotels and stay at Rider Resort which is in walking distance to Seacon Square shopping center..also around the same area and close to the airport.

Most temples never close, except for famous ones like the wat pho/emerald buddha and the grand palace, if going to the grand palace, go to the pier and take a canal tour this will probably give you the greatest impression of thailand and what it was once like.

dont wear shorts or sandals to the grand palace.

Edited by Clipped