Things That Make You Cringe

splitlid

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing European women topless  sunbathing really  makes me  cringe  :o

A lot of Thai men might, say, the same, but would be the first ones up front at the beach ogling.

Quite some time ago, in the southern part of Spain, I was on the beach with my parents.

I was 15 years old.

Came to the beach a couple of scandinavian people.

They were 20 at most.

The girl just removed ALL her clothes and walk down to the sea.

Naked.

Time stopped.

It really did.

At least for me,... :D:D

There tourists have read to much Lonely Planet and are on their guard to much - totally convinced that every Thai is out to rip them off.

Don't knock Lonely Planet.The author of the Thailand edition, Joe Cummings, is extremely well informed and few foreigners, certainly most members of this forum, would have a lot to learn from him about this country.

WHY would you want to know ???

Why not? Why not verify the things that people say about thailand for myself. Why allow anybody to tell me what to believe about a beautiful country that I chose to live in? Why believe straightaway of bad things said about fellow farangs?

WHY would you want to know ???

Why not? Why not verify the things that people say about thailand for myself. Why allow anybody to tell me what to believe about a beautiful country that I chose to live in? Why believe straightaway of bad things said about fellow farangs?

ooops.. and there was me thinking you wanted to see some crusty old european men going bottomless... :o:D

... what annoys me is when i have sat watching farangs haggling with a thai for 30 mins or so..

So true, some are under the illusion if you stay in their face long enough your going to break them down and get the better of the deal. Not going to happen, you just drive the vendor to frustration and embarrass us all.

I was so annoyed once I interceded, purchased the item (~50b), then gave it to the guy, I think he got the point, :o

coming back from Siem Riap by bus.

That journey from Siem Reap is horrid. It’s not only boring and unconformable but frankly depressing being surrounded by dreadlocked <deleted> having the same banal conversations. Last time I did it with a evil hangover I thought I’d died and gone to backpacker H E L L.

hahahaha- I know what you mean. Ankhor Wat was great, though. More that worth it. Especially since I had to do a border run anyway. I mostly spent the bus rides learning as much Khmer as I could (which, btw, was much, much easier to learn that Thai) The bars are crap, though. I went to the 'Ankhor What' bar and couldn't stand it. The bars for Khmer were interesting, though. Very, VERY different than in Thailand. i.e. Its not so bad if you ingnore all the tourists (dreadlocked or not) and are visiting the temples.

Farangs who speak good thai and think that all the sudden they are "cool" and "interesting". Ok you speak thai now so what? If you can speak english does that make you the life of the party in the US?

Im not saying this because I cant speak thai (my thai is not great, but I can get along after 3+ years), but because speaking the language/= "farang tii sut". Your personality points dont shoot through the roof just because you can speak the language. The whole "I am a farang with 2 arms that can speak thai, Im teh cool" shit needs to stop.

If you were a dork at home, you are a dork here. Dont let all the thai girls with the "poot thai geng" BS fool you or your friends please.

Yes, learn the language. Learn the culture. But dont let it get to your head, and dont think you are better than "those chopstick using tourists" because you can order som-tam in Lao for a cheap laugh.

/rant

Farangs who speak good thai and think that all the sudden they are "cool" and "interesting". Ok you speak thai now so what? If you can speak english does that make you the life of the party in the US?

Im not saying this because I cant speak thai (my thai is not great, but I can get along after 3+ years), but because speaking the language/= "farang tii sut". Your personality points dont shoot through the roof just because you can speak the language. The whole "I am a farang with 2 arms that can speak thai, Im teh cool" shit needs to stop.

If you were a dork at home, you are a dork here. Dont let all the thai girls with the "poot thai geng" BS fool you or your friends please.

Yes, learn the language. Learn the culture. But dont let it get to your head, and dont think you are better than "those chopstick using tourists" because you can order som-tam in Lao for a cheap laugh.

/rant

This is the best post on this topic yet.

What makes me sick, is...........

The guys that sell everything they can in Their own Countries, Get unsecured Bank Loans, hammer the crap outta their Credit cards............Then move to Thailand , think they are Rich, waste 80% of it within 18 Months, then they can be seen sitting outside small shops drinking Chang beer all day long with other Losers that thought they would live the dream.......

Bitching about how bad Thailand is, and "aint those girls bad"...( but they was alright when you was blowing 10,000 baht a day on them 18 months before!).............Moaning about the Tourists that come on holiday throwing their money around ."Which fux it up for the rest of us"..........Moaning about the "Guys that send money to these Thai girls"...........Secretly wishing someone would be stupid enough to send them some money every month!.........

They are the guys that are just waiting for the day when they can borrow no more money from other suckers................Waiting for the day they have to go back home to reality, Broken both Financially and Emotionally..........All for the sake of chasing a dream..................

Yep, these people make me VOMIT!!!!! :o

BEGS YOU ARE MY HERO!!!

Sounds like the typical Bangkok Tonight Forum member :D:D:D

I think the funniest thing I've read on Thaivisa was that man who wrote a letter to a Pattaya newspaper complaining he was ripped off 5BT by a Bahtbus driver :D

bothers me when some of the these falong go around thinking they can speak thai.

Some of the garbage that come sout of their mouths is enough to make me sick.

Especially when they dont even bother to check if the thai can speak english.

ohhhhh...come on! :o the only way to learn to speak a language is by learning from the mistakes you make. Myself, I speak five languages very accurately, and now I am learning Thai lingua too. I love it very much. I know I have made many mistakes in Thai lingua, specifically in the prononciation with the tones in the first months. But there is only one way to learn to speak a language, it is to get started. I very much dislike when people - farangs- make comments on my Thai language skills, because it is often those that never even bothered learning to speak it, while living in this Kingdom for years. Learning the language is part of living in a foreign country.

PS. when I meet a foreigner in my home country that tries to speak one of the three national languages, it makes me feel very warm towards this person and I would never resist helping this person with prononciation!

what bothers me most of FARANGS visiting Thailand:

* smelly farangs who think they can handle with one shower every other day, and steer clear from deosticks, perfumes and the like because they think it is cool to be against commercial cosmetics, and then jump on the BTS leaving me to pull the emergency brake before I fall down on the floor, choking on the poisonious gases coming from under their armpits!!!!! (mostly K Sarn road fans and freaks)

* farang women going out to investigate why no single farang man is intrested in them .... and condemn all thai girls for soh-phee-ni

* British people talking loud and abnoxious coz they haven t got much to say and therefore think by pitching up the volume the contents gets more intresting..LOL

apart from that I love all people :o

-Tourists who 'wai' everything in sight- the other day I saw a farang walk out of a building near my office and wai in the general direction of the skytrain. Huh???

-Farang who wai bargirls... who don't wai back!

LOL LOL :o:D:D:D

I have heard many times falong trying to get their point across to a thai using language that is either extremely rude or just plain incomprehensible.

how did you start to speak thai language, 20 years ago? or you never bothered because of the mistakes you might make????

:o:D

I have heard many times falong trying to get their point across to a thai using language that is either extremely rude or just plain incomprehensible.

how did you start to speak thai language, 20 years ago? or you never bothered because of the mistakes you might make????

:o:D

Of course I made mistakes like anyone--and there were others who probably cringed when seeing me do that.

I'm not saying you should not learn thai--I'm saying that I cringe when I see falong pushing their incomprehensible or rude thai on people who can speak english perfectly well. So what!!

Example--the words go-hoc mean somelike like "bullsh*t" or "not true" so when a street vendor tells the falong 5o baht and the falong yells out go-hoc!!.. go-hoc! I cringe-because that is extremely rude and not the proper use of the term go-hoc.

Anyway good luck with your thai.

Farangs who insist on eating Thai food with chopsticks to be more "authentic" -- despite the fact that every Thai around them is using a fork and spoon.

Especially when they bring their own chopsticks... Because they read somewhere that this is more hygienical....

bothers me when some of the these falong go around thinking they can speak thai. Some of the garbage that come sout of their mouths is enough to make me sick.

ohhhhh...come on! :o the only way to learn to speak a language is by learning from the mistakes you make.

Okay.... more specifically, Farangs who use any of the following words in any conversation with anyone, never mind how long they've been in Thailand:

[WARNING: Inject muscle relaxation medicin near your toes before reading on, or you'll end up all cramped up down there. :D ]

• pum pui
    farang khee nok
    khee niow
    tor lae ( too lair)
    (big) milk
    top salop salai
    ba ba bo bo
    ting tong
    boom boom / bumsing / tak-tak
    mau nit noi
    sooway mark mark
    butterfly
    ngoo ngoo plaa plaa
    paak waan

Argh.. even just writing them down makes me cringe.. :-)

Cheers,

Chanchao

bothers me when some of the these falong go around thinking they can speak thai. Some of the garbage that come sout of their mouths is enough to make me sick.

ohhhhh...come on! :o the only way to learn to speak a language is by learning from the mistakes you make.

Okay.... more specifically, Farangs who use any of the following words in any conversation with anyone, never mind how long they've been in Thailand:

[WARNING: Inject muscle relaxation medicin near your toes before reading on, or you'll end up all cramped up down there. :D ]

pum pui
    farang khee nok
    khee niow
    tor lae ( too lair)
    (big) milk
    top salop salai
    ba ba bo bo
    ting tong
    boom boom / bumsing / tak-tak
    mau nit noi
    sooway mark mark
    butterfly
    ngoo ngoo plaa plaa
    paak waan

Argh.. even just writing them down makes me cringe.. :-)

Cheers,

Chanchao

You could add oeun (fat). Whats wrong with suay mak mak?

I get called pum pui by many Thais I know and even strangers. If they're throwing it around, I might as well. I doubt Thais take offense from mispronunced or misused Thai words. They respect when people make an effort...but if a farang starts throwing "yit khun" around for fun, then well, he/she will get what they deserve.

> I get called pum pui by many Thais I know and even strangers.

My girlfriend didn't even know what the phrase/word meant.. It came up when a friend's dog was called that. :o I think I actually never heard it outside a bar or bar-like environment. (This came up before somewhere and people mentioned they did actually hear it used by regular folks, and I'm sure they were right.) Still I think the phrase deserves a place in this list of awkward expressions that are best not used.

There's a lot of mileage in Thailand in speaking 'proper' Thai, and it could be just as fun. If your on the corpulent side then I'd use 'somboon'. Kind of has a positive slant. :D Or on the cutesy side: Tuy-Nui.. :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

I think the funniest thing I've read on Thaivisa was that man who wrote a letter to a Pattaya newspaper complaining he was ripped off 5BT by a Bahtbus driver :o

Family Values.............

Yea , the people that are always moaning about the extra 5 baht thay pay on Baht Bus's make me Vomit too.

I have known some guys that will walk if they only have a 10 Baht coin or a 20 Baht note, just in case they get no change.............Then they go and spend 500 Baht getting completely Drunk on Large Bottles of Chang, and expect the Nice Taxi Driver to help them out of the taxi and to their door cos thay are too pissed to walk! These guys make me Puke, too...................

:D:D