Things That Make You Cringe

splitlid

Another irritant is the 'yob'

Caring nothing for first impressions, sporting badly fitting shorts with ankle socks surrounded by boots of an agressive appearance topped off with a vest barely able too cover the professional beer belly. Thankfully the knotted hanky has yet to make an appearance.

Teach

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are many that come to mind..this where tipping is concerned takes the biscuit.... and from a Chinese

An invited Taiwanese Industrialist ( seriously wealthy) at the Blue Canyon in Phuket, having his Bt. 4000 green fee paid for by me proceeded to tip the caddie Bt.20 yes twenty for 5 hours lugging this <deleted>'s bag around for 6 miles. Needless to say he was never invited again and quickly earned a reputation that reached Taiwan before he did.

And you're Chinese.

You should know.

Chinese are very good at saving money.

And consequently at making money.

Not the reverse,... :o

In my girls home village, I'm the only farang. In fact, I'm the only farang for miles and miles around. It's seriously rural and girls who go to the bars are a rarity in this little place. I've been accepted genuinly in this village and am almost treated as one of their own. I hope that no other farang comes along and ######s it all up for me.

Say, where'd that village be at you're living in? I was thinking of setting up a

Mickey D's and a couple'a Sevvies.

bothers me when some of the these falong go around thinking they can speak thai.

Some of the garbage that come sout of their mouths is enough to make me sick.

Especially when they dont even bother to check if the thai can speak english.

Well, I've gotta learn somehow :o I think of it as a sign of respect to try to learn the language of the land. I can't do it without practicing. Also, along the same lines, even if they speak english. If I can speak enough Thai to be communicate, I am going to try it. And, I am, in general, going to use as much Thai as I can, and use english when necessary. I'm in their country.

Please, let me know specifically what annoys you about farang speaking Thai and I will try to avoid such offences in the future (I'm not trying to be sarcastic- I would really like to know)

That's the point...it is NOT authentic at all to eat Thai food with chopsticks. The foreigners I've seen, though, don't know China from Japan from Thailand, and think all Asians eat with chopsticks.

One guy I saw made a huge fuss with a waiter when he was given spoon and fork to eat a a plate of fried rice, as if to say, "you assume I'm a round eyes tourist that can't use chopsticks, eh?"

Thai food is eaten either with the hands (mostly in the sticky rice-eating North and Northeast), or with fork and spoon. The only foods Thais sometimes eat with chopsticks are noodle dishes, which aren't even Thai, really, but Chinese imports.

I use chopsticks for noodles from time to time b/c I kinda enjoy it. Its efficient. I even find myself prefferring chopsticks when I make spaghetti at home.

I have seen what you are talking about. And it is really funny in a depressing sort of way. Also, most farang eat with the fork in the right hand, too, when Thais use it in the left to shove food onto their spoon.

re: noodle dishes ... Isn't a good deal of Thai food imported from somewhere? At least to some degree? I was under the impression that Thai food was a fusion of many different styles...

bothers me when some of the these falong go around thinking they can speak thai.

Well, I've gotta learn somehow :o I think of it as a sign of respect to try to learn the language of the land. I can't do it without practicing. Also, along the same lines, even if they speak english. If I can speak enough Thai to be communicate, I am going to try it. And, I am, in general, going to use as much Thai as I can, and use english when necessary. I'm in their country.

Please, let me know specifically what annoys you about farang speaking Thai and I will try to avoid such offences in the future (I'm not trying to be sarcastic- I would really like to know)

I agree with you drummer. Maybe 20 years in Thailand is 20 years too long for this cat.

I often switch hands with the rake and shovel. I think Thais could give a $#%!.

Shovel is right! I periodically try to eat the Thai way, but quickly give up. I'll never understand how people can comfortably eat with these large spoons!

Unless I think to open my mouth as wide as I would for a dental exam, the spoon crashes into some part of my lips and the food ends up all over my shirt or the table. :o I think farangs dropping/wasting food makes people cringe here, so I try not to repeat that experiment too often.

What I want to know is the trick Thais use to inhale meat and leave a little bone on their spoon. I pass because I do not know how to work it with neither my fingers nor a table knife.

What I want to know is the trick Thais use to inhale meat and leave a little bone on their spoon. I pass because I do not know how to work it with neither my fingers nor a table knife.

:D The trick is to use your tongue. Practice at home with whole fried fish, gleaming the flesh off the bones...... ha ha, and I thought I was the only one.... :o

How about the Farang that's on a tour to Bridge on River Kwai - happened to me once - and he's chatting up the sweet little tour guide pronouncing it River Kwaaay! :o

How about the Thai that says 'computer" :D

simple humor boon mee :D

The Farang who spends two weeks in Pattaya on holiday, only goes from his hotel to Walking St. and back with the occasional stop at one of the street food vendors.

Then goes home and is a self proclaimed expert on Thailand, Thai Culture and Thai food.

Makes me CRINGE!

DeDanan

KHAO SAN road.

really makes me cringe.

20m of the place and i can hear the didgerdoos playing.

the chanting of the "become a budhist in 2 hours" lesson.

and the continueous drone of "i know all about thailand", "oooh thats too expensive","hey man, its all relative you know dude", "nice hair,have you always had dreads?"

the hairs on the back of my neck are sticking up as i type.

anyway.great place for a laugh for a few hours.

:o:D:D

Khao San Road is the greatest freak show in Thailand, and admission is free.

You have to admit the new pavements look grand.

havnt seen them yet!

are they chalk drawings done by aspiring artists in Thailand trying to find theirselves???

Of course its great that you are learning thai etc...

I have heard many times falong trying to get their point across to a thai using language that is either extremely rude or just plain incomprehensible.

How else are we going to learn? I rather make an effort, and look foolish then speak no Thai at all. As long as falangs are speaking polietely, I see no harm in trying it.

Tourists disputing their change and patronising Thai's who are merely trying to make a crust by talking to them as if they are deaf.

Yes that’s all too true. How can talking LOUDER to someone in your native tongue of which they have no knowledge possibly make you more understandable?

But some are convinced or just too stupid. :o

Farangs haggling over bt20  :o

When i posted this I didn't explain myself properly... what annoys me is when i have sat watching farangs haggling with a thai for 30 mins or so.. it ends up with them haggling over bt20 and the farang getting angry about it....

now as I see it haggling should be an enjoyable experience without any stress, so surely after 30mins if you haven't got the price you want then walk away and don't buy the item, if you want it, buy it at the price the Thai wants... don't lose your temper over bt20 which to most farangs isn't much !

I haggled TB80 down to the real price of TB40. Does that make me a f***er?
Nothing wrong with getting a fair price..
The red bus is 4 baht. The blue one is 5 baht, because it has fans in the ceiling. If the fans are not working, should I argue over the price?

You have a valid point if you want to argue... personally I wouldn't, but that's me !