The Scruples Of Giving Advice

percy2

What info should you give with your advice  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If you own XYZ bakery and someone asks you where can I buy the best bread, would you tell them you own XYZ when you tell them where to buy the bread?

Would you feel morally obligated to do so?

Not quite innocent interest :o

Cheers

If you own XYZ bakery and someone asks you where can I buy the best bread, would you tell them you own XYZ when you tell them where to buy the bread?

Cheers

The XYZ Bakery does exist and I own it. So if anybody asks you where to buy the best bread, please tell them about my place.

Thanks.

Cheers

IMO depends on whether "real" life or only the internet.

Real Life - not neccessary, but don't evade the connection if it crops up.

Internet - Yes!........because someone else probably will, and then it just makes you look dodgy for not saying something up front (IME someone somewhere will usually notice a regular plug for XYZ Bakery and will speculate openly as to why).

Of course if it is not a simple bakery..........

(not to say running a bakery is simple - but the product is)

IMO depends on whether "real" life or only the internet.

Real Life - not neccessary, but don't evade the connection if it crops up.

Internet - Yes!........because someone else probably will, and then it just makes you look dodgy for not saying something up front (IME someone somewhere will usually notice a regular plug for XYZ Bakery and will speculate openly as to why).

That's strange - I'd say the opposite: real life - truth, internet - say what you like!

Percy2, a lot of people online will say a lot of things. I take all with a healthy, or not so these days, pinch of salt. I have a diving, snorkling and fishing business here in Chumphon. I suppose I am lucky, or not as thats why I moved here, as their are only a couple of us here doing the same thing, though slightly different. We dont have to be so cut throat as places like Phuket or Koh Tao. We tend to help each other out. He sends me people and I send him, we borrow equipment and boats. I do tell people about how good the diving is here, but will tell them they have a choice. Its then up to them who they dive with. Is it biased information, sure but it is also truthful. When was the last time you went diving in Phuket or Tao and there was only a couple of you in the water?

There is also some bad and downright wrong "advise" given out on forums. It is hard to find out just who has an interest in what they are championing. I think people should be honest and say " hey I work at so and so and we do this" Will they all do this, I very much doubt it.

We here rely a lot on word of mouth. Ive found its the best form of advertising there is. People come here , dive then go away and tell other divers just how good it is.

Keep up putting people right though Percy2 Im with you on that one! :o

If you own or have an interest in a business, well sure you're going to promote it! If I own XYZ bakery and someone asks me where to buy bread, I will say - "XYZ Bakery, it's my place, come and have a look". No pressure to buy, just be friendly -for sure I am not going to suggest ABC bakery. UNLESS my bakery is based in Phuket and they want a bakery in Chiang Mai.

I just joined this forum, though am active on others. I notice you can't have a link to your website in the signature here, which is what I do in other forums, so it's obvious what my interests are, rather than having to repeat in on every post. One man's spam is another man's luncheon meat.

I make it a point to tell people. Here on TV, I occasionally let people know that I can answer their questions and for them to PM me. Since part of my answer is or could be considered to be a pitch, I always let them know.

I send them the information (email), but I never contact them further unless they contact me. I think that would be unethical--at least for me.

Not quite innocent interest :D

Cheers

If I genuinely felt my bread was the best (and if I owned a bakery, I would definitely try to make mine the best :o, I would tell them "mine", but I would point out that I own the place.

nothing wrong with a bit of pride, not so good to be sneaky.