Does Last Minute Exist In Thailand?

rainman

I'm planning on going on a trip to Europe somewhere with my wife later this year and was looking at some 'last minute' offers from several travel agencies in Bangkok. They don't seem to know the word 'last-minute' here, at least not in the sense that we know it. 'Last-minute' in all of the agencies I've been to means "the closer to the travel date, the more expensive".

To try it, I kept my eyes on a flight for almost a month. At the start, it was at 31,000 Baht. Less than 24 hours before departure, the travel agency wanted to sell me the ticket for over 80,000 Baht. :o

Does anyone know a good travel agency in Bangkok for cheap 'last-minute' flights?

I usally fly to 2 or 3 different countries a month out of BKK - all usally within a 1-3 days notice.

The fares are almost always the same

Thai Airways is usally full for late bookings, but a quick look around will alwasy find me something affordable.

not sure about your travel agent, but there are lots of them.

China airlines goes direct from BKK to different places in Europe and they always have seats as well

Timing only makes a difference when the plane has a high load. It used to be in the past that last minute flights were always the most expensive because they would charge you full fare at the airport. However - and for once something nice to say about Thai Airways - if you go to the airport they will give you the lowest fare available, I've done this once or twice.

This may *not* apply to other airlines, especially European and North American ones who will probably try to charge you full fare for late bookings.

That being said - if you want to get into the cheaper booking classes, it's usually advisable to book in advance, especially if you know your plans already. Last minute flights are unlikely to be cheaper in Bangkok because they traditionally have pretty high loads to begin with.

Taxes and fees don't change based on time of booking, with *rare* exceptions.

I'm planning on going on a trip to Europe somewhere with my wife later this year and was looking at some 'last minute' offers from several travel agencies in Bangkok. They don't seem to know the word 'last-minute' here, at least not in the sense that we know it. 'Last-minute' in all of the agencies I've been to means "the closer to the travel date, the more expensive".

To try it, I kept my eyes on a flight for almost a month. At the start, it was at 31,000 Baht. Less than 24 hours before departure, the travel agency wanted to sell me the ticket for over 80,000 Baht. :o

Does anyone know a good travel agency in Bangkok for cheap 'last-minute' flights?

The "last minute" your talking about is more to do with charter flights rather than schedule flights, as others

have already pointed out you should be looking at booking in advance for the lowest fares since tour operators organising charter flights OUT of thailand are going to be a bit thin on the ground.

l've booked with Gulf Air from Bangkok to London many times on the day l travelled,. the price remained the same.