Ubon Ratchtani

mrmazinkle

Hi going here in 2 weeks Any recommendations..Thanks in advance..Bill

Yes, I would recommend the Regent Palace. It's not a Palace actually, :o but a decent hotel. However, stay away from rooms above the Karaoke lounge. You might get sea-sick from the soundwaves engulfing you. Otherwise it's really quite.

I usually pay 600 THB per night, the have wireless internet access in the Lobby, breakfast is included and okayish, the place is quite central; what else would one need?

If the cab does not know it: tell them to go to Robinson Dept.Store. It is just adjacent to it.

Some months ago, there were a few lines in the BKK-Post about the opening of a new place in Ubon, called "CHAT SUREE MANSION". so yes, its a Mansion rather than a "GUETTHAU" , but might still be an option for you.

the price was said to be 400 BT a night, incl. aircon, TV, hot wat water and fridge.

this seemed to be a good value for me, so I cutted that small report from BKK-Post and therefore, I can even provide u with their phone-number: 045-209211.

but of course I have no idea about the quality of that place, I have only read those lines in the BKK-Post. hope its helpful anyway.....

thnks for the info guys..you know everything on here..Mny thanx Bill

At about 600 per night, the Sri Isaan Hotel is very pleasant - I like the decor and the beds are very comfortable, they also include breakfast. Again, not a GH, but to give you an idea of what is available. Of course there are also the large hotels...

Cheers,

Mike

P.S. If you need directions to any of these places, let us know, someone will be able to direct you.

At about 600 per night, the Sri Isaan Hotel is very pleasant - I like the decor and the beds are very comfortable, they also include breakfast. Again, not a GH, but to give you an idea of what is available. Of course there are also the large hotels...

Cheers,

Mike

P.S. If you need directions to any of these places, let us know, someone will be able to direct you.

Yes I've stayed there. Place was clean and pleasant enough - nothing flash, but what you'd expect. I can't comment on the breakfast as we didn't have that. Not much to do around that area though and getting taxi's proved quite difficult.

Is there anywhere to stay nearer the shops, bars, etc?

Hi going here in 2 weeks Any recommendations..Thanks in advance..Bill

Hello Bill,

there is some good info here about this subject.

At the top of this page is a white box with " search " next to it.

If you type in " Ubon Guesthouse " or anything that you want to check out and press the search button it will search the forum. There is a new guesthouse in Ubon and somewhere in this forum is info and even some pics from a member. I would try to find it but it is late where I live.

The rooms behind The Wrong Way Cafe are O.K...... but ............... there were clusters of cockroaches in the shower area when I was there ( the Thai ladies laughed when I wanted some spray and said something about farang ) and the hot water didnt work, not that that was a problem.

The room was very comfortable apart from that. Some pics in the forum somewhere.

Also food at Wrong Way is excellent.

Try the search and hope you enjoy Ubon. Great place!

Kittrongvill Hotel Ubon Ratchathani

If you are interested in staying at Kittrongvill Hotel when you visit Ubon Ratchathani it's address is: 399 Moo 3, Tambon Kham Yai, Muang District, Ubon Ratchathani. You can call them at (045)311655 (hotel phone) or mobile (085)965-8282. They don't have a website but you can email them at [email protected]. To get there you can take songtaew Line 8 or travel up Chayangkun Rd. past Lotus, past Big C, to the junction with Highway 231 and look for the entrance on the left hand side after you pass the PT&T Petol station.

Just copied this from a blogg i read recently on the above place which looks nice.

...and the hot water didnt work...

Vegemite>> There is a big switch just inside the door that must be turned on, labelled in Thai :o

Stament>> You can't get closer than the place behind the WrongWay. However the Sri Isaan is not very far. I have my own car in the area, but I expect the hotel could call a tuk tuk for you.

Cheers,

Mike

Not much to do around that area though and getting taxi's proved quite difficult.

The part with the taxis is sooooo true!!! It is best to inquire at the reception which Song Teow you should board on what side of the road. But then you have to find the spot where you want to go (sometimes its difficult to look out of the Song Teows). The best way to grab a taxi/tuctuc is to hop on a Song Teow that goes to the bus station. Lots of Tuctucs there. Or go to the nearest hospital, there they are too. Ubon is the city that has the most inconvenient 'taxi' system here, especially for newbies that don't know language or location.

Cheers,

Mike

Yes I've stayed there. Place was clean and pleasant enough - nothing flash, but what you'd expect. I can't comment on the breakfast as we didn't have that. Not much to do around that area though and getting taxi's proved quite difficult.

Is there anywhere to stay nearer the shops, bars, etc?

Regent hotel is BEST AND CLOSEST for bars and entertainment,, Wrong way is other end of the town,, so not so close..

but like said here earlier make sure your room is not above karaoke,,,they even can communicate with english very well,,

IF i would be looking for place in Ubon i wuld stay in REGENT

Cheers,

Regent hotel is BEST AND CLOSEST for bars and entertainment,, Wrong way is other end of the town,, so not so close..

If we are talking hotels now, and not guesthouses????????

I will recommend Nevada Grand. Large rooms (1000 :o, nice swimmingpool, internet, thai massage, -

Ubon's biggest dico/nightclub The Rock in in the basement, Zodiac with live music (mix Thai and farang) on ground floor, -

The Terrace sports bar with big screen tv, cold beer & food, and a large cinema complex with motel, snooker, cafee's, shops, bars, ATM s etc.

Tuktuks are easy to find, Big Buy and Tesco/Lotus are nearby, and everything else is within walking distance!

To say "Wrongway is other end of town" sounds very strange to me!

I have stayed in the motel behind Wrongway many times, walked to and from most of the entertainment places in Ubon, and see no ploblem!

In addition to good food, WrongWay Cafe is also the best place to seek advice from the local farangs on what's happening!

On request I also know of a very nice guesthouse in Ubon province, though not in the city. :D

Good luck!