Fruit Cake

tigerbeer

My gran would make them months ahead and add rum or brandy weekly - I soaked the fruit for 24 hours in a rum, OJ and lemon juic mix - lovely

In Yorkshire the tradition was to make them a year in advance, so there was always one sitting maturing, ready for the following Christmas. This may also have been a useful extra food-store, in case of sudden unexpected poverty, perhaps ?

Happy memories - whatever. :o

I used to start the Christmas cakes and puddings at Easter time by filling dustbins half full with fruit and several bottles each of brandy, rum, port and madeira. Kept them topped up so the fruit remains covered then mix in the other ingredients and bake or steam them in October. Wrap well and spoon on brandy once per week until I sold them in December. Always sold out.

I used to start the Christmas cakes and puddings at Easter time by filling dustbins half full with fruit and several bottles each of brandy, rum, port and madeira. Kept them topped up so the fruit remains covered then mix in the other ingredients and bake or steam them in October. Wrap well and spoon on brandy once per week until I sold them in December. Always sold out.

none this year p1p ? :o

the one at Marks & Spencer totally expensive. i think the ones at bake N bite are good.

prakanong, its not worth the effort if its only one person who fancies it at home. read through some recipes and really a lot of ingredients, time and effort put in.

none this year p1p ? :o

the one at Marks & Spencer totally expensive. i think the ones at bake N bite are good.

prakanong, its not worth the effort if its only one person who fancies it at home. read through some recipes and really a lot of ingredients, time and effort put in.

I thought the same - really did - too much effort

Well I tried and it was not so bad after all - if you have the utensils and some ingredients around it is easier I admit

I made one last Sunday which I will finish today, the one i made on Thursday went in one sitting at work - i might make another tomorrow for Christmas in Thailand.

I had meant to many times and once i got over the procrastination it does not seem to bad now.

Anybody seen the Italian style Pannetones around (also can spell Pannetoni, I believe) ? They are awesome fruit breads/ cakes that are reserved I think for Xmas and New Yrs time. They're fruity and like good moist egg bread, usually with a kick of some liqueur too. Worked for a caterer once who always had them around at holiday time. Had to acquire the taste at first, but now I miss it. I also made a killer bread pudding out of it with extra nutmeg, apricots, and raisins. Totally awesome and sinful. Anyway, I'm figuring with the multi-ethnic Expat population in town, that someone's gonna be selling it. Lemme know if you see any out there.

Anybody seen the Italian style Pannetones around (also can spell Pannetoni, I believe) ? They are awesome fruit breads/ cakes that are reserved I think for Xmas and New Yrs time. They're fruity and like good moist egg bread, usually with a kick of some liqueur too. Worked for a caterer once who always had them around at holiday time. Had to acquire the taste at first, but now I miss it. I also made a killer bread pudding out of it with extra nutmeg, apricots, and raisins. Totally awesome and sinful. Anyway, I'm figuring with the multi-ethnic Expat population in town, that someone's gonna be selling it. Lemme know if you see any out there.

I made a couple three days ago. none left now, I could only get one slice before the wife, children and others demolished them before they could be properly cooled. They are available at Rimping - for an absurd price.

They are a personal addiction of mine. A slice dipped into tea or coffee is a pure transportation of delight. (They contain no liquor, but lots of egg yolk, butter and raisins and candied peel. They are, however, often hollowed out and filled with various concoctions, some of which contain liquor.