Satang

They are really irritating and they come in denominations of 50 satang (half a 1baht) and one quarter of a baht!!!

7-Eleven are the only people that will take these irritating things off you and the only other place to get rid of them is in the pots at Wat Po.

They are a waste of space and about as much use as mudflaps on a tortoise, even the worm man doesn't accept them so why do we/they have them????

Gent Scamp

Your posts today are bad reading. Go have a beer :D

Go to Lotus or other places similar and you will se items advertised as 21.75 Baht .

Even the expensive to produced leaflets say reduced from 23.75 to 21.75 Baht.

They are currecy in Thailand that is why "we" have them. :o

Even though it's bloody annoying to keep them in my purse, I just have to. I can use them once in a while. You see, it could be worse.. some stuff, the price together with VAT could be a real pain in the arse. 509.62 THB... how are you going to pay that bloody 0.62 THB? :D

Now, go get laid, Scampy. You really need it. :o

Pop the 25st and 50st coins in jar and take it to the bank once in a while.

They will change them for you.

The banks have coins down to 1 satang, for account balancing purposes, even today.

As for bills, I always round down before paying!!

I've always found the satang situation interesting.

50 satang is more valuable than a US penny. And last time I checked, Americans were generally much richer than Thais. But you won't find nearly the sort of dislike of pennies there as you'll find of satang here.

I might buy a coke from the lady on the corner and have to use maybe 4 50 satang pieces in the process. She acts like she's being charitable by taking my satang. If I bought a coke from a vendor in America and had to use 4 pennies in the process they would hardly give it a second thought.

Pop the 25st and 50st coins in jar and take it to the bank once in a while.

They will change them for you.

I will do as you suggest.

Hey, in a couple of months i'll have enough to put a down-payment on a small bottle of water. :o

Actually it's not that daft an idea really is it, bearing in mind my current fiscal status.

You know...When you get these small coins which are of no use or value to you, put them in a jar in your room...when you get enough of them, why not drop ALL of them into some poor soul begging on the street, it may be enough for the person so actually get a meal out of it...Stop whinning...

I hate most coins in any currency, but if someone would like to send me one of those AUD200 coins I promise that I wont hate it. :o

$200 AUD coin?

when did that come into mint Tiz ?, I have never heard of it mate.

I think if you have two save 1/2 a baht by keeping a satang in your wallet, you shouldnt be here. I round off and laugh if they try to hand me those. It also falls out of the small hole in the wallet anyway, so?!

Anyone remember this about currencies from The Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy?

In fact there are three freely convertible currencies in the Galaxy, but none of them count. The Altairian Dollar has recently collapsed, the Flanian Pobble bead is only exchangeable for other Flanian Pobble Beads, and the Triganic Pu has its own very special problems. Its exchange rate of eight Ningis to one Pu is simple enough, but since a Ningi is a rubber coin six thousand eight hundred miles along each side, no one has ever collected enough to own one Pu. Ningis are not negotiable currency, because the Galactibanks refuse to deal in fiddling small change. From this basic premise it is very simple to prove that the Galactibanks are also the product of a deranged imagin.

How many satangs for 1 Ningi? :o

Doesn't keeping the Satang around have to do with history? It might be like taking

Washington off the Dollar or the Queen off the Pound.

To be completely honest mbkudu I'm past caring.

But yes, it could well be, although us Brits disposed of the half penny coin aeons ago.

Are you a Brit? ...Mbkudu sounds like a Swahili name. :o

As far as I am informed the small Satang coins were introduced about ten years ago during the government of Prime Minister Banharn.

One of the reasons was to help poor people to buy smaller portions of rice, but on this point I hardly believe my own memory.

The Satang-coins were supposedly ment for use in the village-economies, but ended up in the 7-Elevens and megastores.

At the Golden Triangle a very big and beautiful Bhudda image is erected at the Mekhong River. It is said that donated Satang coins have been melted for the metal. If it is true I don't know.

The one Euro-cent coin is not used anymore in several European countries.

In Sweden they are discussing to do away with the 5-öre coin.

In the long run also the Satang coins will disappear or change their status into a collectors-item, even if I don't expect them to rise much above their present value.

Doesn't keeping the Satang around have to do with history? It might be like taking

Washington off the Dollar or the Queen off the Pound.

To be completely honest mbkudu I'm past caring.

But yes, it could well be, although us Brits disposed of the half penny coin aeons ago.

Are you a Brit? ...Mbkudu sounds like a Swahili name. :o

I'm a Septic, born and raised in California.

I hate most coins in any currency, but if someone would like to send me one of those AUD200 coins I promise that I wont hate it.  :o

$200 AUD coin?

when did that come into mint Tiz ?, I have never heard of it mate.

aug1985koala200dollars.jpg

Umm, 1985 I guess... :D

There was a time when I used to save these things.

I used them on the the 2 baht buses. I even used to splash out occassionally and get a 3.50 baht bus.

Things have inproved now and at every supermarket you will find a charity box, let them worry about the satangs.