Recorded Delivery To Bangkok

WOODERSON

10 days ago I posted my wifes settlement visa folder to her address in Bangkok from the Uk using the Royal Mail "signedfor International" service which was supposed to take 4days. I've traced it with the ref number at this end and it's apparently left the country but have been told that there is no way of now tracing it through the thai postal system. Does anyone have any experience of this? The urgency is that my wife is 5months pregnant and if we don't get the application in by the end of this week it will not be processed in time to get a short interview!

:D:o:D

Dont know about Royal Mail but ive just sent a letter back to the UK from Pattaya with UPS it took 3 days..........mind you it was only a letter and the thieving ######## charged me 980 baht!

Do you know the conversion rate of these thai bath to mexican pesos?

If you want to track something (ALL the way) ya gotta use DHL, Fedex or UPS (maybe others) but it's gotta be a courier company or the like.

And yes the thieving bast*rds will sock it to you.

But what do you want i.e. the document to get to where you want it or not :o

Hi Wooderson

As I found out the hard way too, the delivery times varies dramatically from Ireland to Thailand on one occasion it took over three weeks and that was “swift post”!

Murphy's Law and all that... (or in the UK is it sod's law :o )

As JBG says you have to use a recognised courier. Last time I used DHL. Documents left my place (2 hrs from Dublin) at 4.30pm on a Monday and were in the Consulate in BKK by 10.00 am on Wednesday cost € 65.00

If you have a copy of the documents send them now, with a copy of the receipt from Royal Mail explaining you are sending the copies and the originals will follow soon.

Have a Happy…

DeDanan

10 days ago I posted my wifes settlement visa folder to her address in Bangkok from the Uk using the Royal Mail "signedfor International" service which was supposed to take 4days. I've traced it with the ref number at this end and it's apparently left the country but have been told that there is no way of now tracing it through the thai postal system. Does anyone have any experience of this? The urgency is that my wife is 5months pregnant and if we don't get the application in by the end of this week it will not be processed in time to get a short interview!

from my experience it takes 5-6 days .

i did have one that vanished into thin air never seen again

is it likely a jealous neighbour/person may have intercepted it ?

As JBG says you have to use a recognised courier. Last time I used DHL. Documents left my place (2 hrs from Dublin) at 4.30pm on a Monday and were in the Consulate in BKK by 10.00 am on Wednesday cost € 65.00

65 Euros!! .......i feel better about being charged "only" 980 Baht now. :o

Funny you should mention it, Wooderson - I ordered something from the UK recorded delivery 10 days ago myself (a week last Wed.), and I"m still waiting...

Usually (and I order from the UK regularly) it takes around 6 days on average. For some reason though, over the past two weeks, it's taking much longer. Giving it another two days before I start scouting around.

Dont  know  about  Royal  Mail  but  ive  just  sent  a  letter  back  to  the  UK  from  Pattaya  with  UPS  it  took  3  days..........mind  you  it  was  only  a  letter  and  the  thieving  ########  charged  me  980  baht!

Do you know the conversion rate of these thai bath to mexican pesos?

www.xe.com :o

I have had some letters arrive between UK -Samut Prat overnight,all depends on whatever plane Royal Mail happens to use.

Think they may be in a cutting back mode and trying out Binman /Aeroflp/Uzzbeci or similar and if so 2-3 weeks is about normal.

Anything slightly important as previously said go for special delivery-registered post and if really vital hit the Couriers DHL-UPs etc...cost you but docs get there.

One thing I never send is dosh-£-$.

I know a lot of guys over the years who sent the odd 20 or fifty/more and it does a vanishing act.

Prob.not always down to the boys on the job. :o

Import tax on educational materials

I have received a fax from the Customs Department in Bangkok informing me that a FedEx parcel has arrived for me from Canada and that I must pay 850 baht import duty on it before they will forward it to Phuket.

I am doing a correspondence course for my schooling in Canada and the contents of the package are the books that I need to study. I have already paid 5,000 baht to have the package sent here by FedEx.

I will be taking the books back to Canada when I move back home. Should I pay tax on this? Will I have to pay tax again when I take the books home? I currently work here and have a non-immigrant B visa. Will this help with any tax breaks? Is everything that enters Thailand taxable?

Friday, July 23, 2004 Jeffrey Deveau, Phuket.

“According to Thai Customs tariff 4901, no import duty is levied on educational textbooks that have more than 30% of the text in a foreign language.

However, any maps, charts or diagrams sent separately are not exempt from import duty, regardless of which language they are printed in.

Customs officers at Bangkok International Airport check all packages being imported to Thailand and determine whether the articles being imported fall under tariff 4901. If the officers deem that the articles do not, import duty must be paid on them.

As for other items being imported to Thailand, used personal belongings can be imported to Thailand without incurring import duty. However, the belongings must be imported to Thailand no more than one month before or six months after the foreigner arrives in the country.

There is no tax on exporting used personal belongings to your home country. ”

Friday, July 23, 2004 Pakawalee Wanto, Customs hotline officer (Tel: 1164).

maybe its held up at DonMuang for checking ..

I sent documents from Ireland to Bangkok last month using SDS. They guaranteed delivery in 4-6 working days. Working days exclude bank holidays and weekends but even so!

I tracked its progress on their website. My envelope left Cork 27th May, left Dublin 28th May Left London on 3rd June! So after a full week it had managed to get from Ireland to England! It was eventually delivered on 9th June. I applied for - and got - a refund of my €43 but I was still disgusted with it.

I sent an ordinary letter on 26th May and it arrived Bangkok 6th June.