Skin One Up And Dig Out Those Loon Pants

taxexile

Led Zeppelin set to re-form for O2 gig

By Richard Alleyne. The Daily Telegraph

Last Updated: 1:57am BST 01/09/2007

The legendary rock band Led Zeppelin are planning to play a huge comeback concert at the O2 arena, the concert hall housed in the former Millennium Dome.

Have your say: Would you buy tickets for a Led Zep revival?

According to reports the supergroup, who disbanded 27 years ago, are in talks with the owners of the 20,000 capacity venue to stage a spectacular one off show at the end of the year.

Led Zeppelin performing in Los Angeles, 1973.

Speculation has been rife that the three surviving band members, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones had been planning to perform their greatest hits at a memorial concert for the late Island Record boss Ahmet Ertegun.

Now it looks like they have chosen the venue.

No official confirmation has been given but sources have confirmed they are in talks with the owners of the venue in Greenwich, south east London.

A source said: "The talks are ongoing but it looks like a definite possibility. Nothing has been finalised but fingers crossed the most anticipated comeback concerts ever could become a reality."

advertisement

When drummer John Bonham died in 1980, his bandmates declared that Led Zeppelin had died with him.

The trio's only other reunions were a disappointing performance at the 1985 Live Aid concert, with Genesis drummer Phil Collins, and their 1995 induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.

The concert is likely to coincide with the release of a greatest hits collection for November. The late John Bonham is expected to be replaced on drums by his son Jason.

The benefit concert is expected to be in memory of Ertegun who first signed them, Ahmet. He died last October after falling at a Rolling Stones concert.

It is believed that fellow rock legends Cream are also reforming to play a concert for Ertegun.

Despite the strong speculation which was sparked by adverts appearing in a national newspaper, promoters warned fans not to buy tickets yet as nothing was confirmed.

Premier Entertainments company are offering hotel and ticket packages for £269 and insisted the official announcement was about to be made.

Neither the venue or the agents for the band were prepared to comment.

Led Zep's albums have continued to be huge sellers since the 1970s and Stairway to Heaven remains hugely popular on the radio and on karaokes.

The band, whose excesses were formidable, were the fathers of "hard rock" and were responsible for hundreds of long haired, spandex trousered imitators.

lets hope this is confirmed soon , this is wonderful news.

Wow, I just watched the entire video of their concert at Madison Square Garden, perhaps for the tour, The Song Remains the Same. Classic!

As they said then in 1973, "It's been a long time since the rock and roll, been a long time since I did the stroll, ooooh baby, let me get back, baby, where I came from...."

Looking at Robert Plant's big blond mop, I'll bet I now look more like he did then, than he does now. Maybe I'll try an imitation of him, singing "Whole Lotta Sex."

The Shark episode or Mudshark incident was an event which apparently took place at the Edgewater Inn in Seattle, WA, on July 28, 1969, involving members of the English rock band Led Zeppelin and members of the American psychedelic rock band Vanilla Fudge. The band were in Seattle for their appearance at the Seattle Pop Festival at Gold Creek Park on July 27, 1969, and were staying at the Edgewater Inn. This hotel, now known as the Hotel Edgewater, is located directly on Puget Sound, and at the time allowed guests to fish directly from their room windows.[1]

The Shark episode is alleged to have involved some type of sexual act with a fish. However, though no one disputes that the event took place, there are many variations on the story, all involving one or some of the band members, as well as variations of the type of fish (often claimed to be a shark), and the nature of the acts performed.Stephen Davis, in his Led Zeppelin biography Hammer of the Gods, provided the following account of the event:

“ One girl, a pretty young groupie with red hair, was disrobed and tied to the bed. According to the legend of the Shark Episode, Led Zeppelin then proceeded to stuff pieces of shark into her vagina and rectum.'[1] ”

Davis notes that Led Zeppelin's road manager Richard Cole, disputed this version, and quotes him as saying:

“ It wasn't Bonzo, it was me. It wasn't shark parts anyway: It was the nose that got put in. We caught a lot of big sharks, at least two dozen, stuck coat hangers through the gills and left 'em in the closet . . . But the true shark story was that it wasn't even a shark. It was a red snapper and the chick happened to be a ######ing redheaded broad with a ginger pussy. And that is the truth. Bonzo was in the room, but I did it. Mark Stein [of Vanilla Fudge] filmed the whole thing. And she loved it. It was like, "You'd like a bit of ######ing, eh? Let's see how your red snapper likes this red snapper!" That was it. It was the nose of the fish, and that girl must have cum 20 times. But it was nothing malicious or harmful, no way! No one was ever hurt. ” Cole elaborates on this version in his own book, Stairway to Heaven: Led Zeppelin Uncensored. He explains that:

“ Word about the escapade spread quickly. Rumors circulated that the girl had been raped . . . that she had been crying hysterically . . . that she had pleaded for me to stop . . . that she had struggled to escape . . . that a shark had been used to penetrate her. None of the stories was true.[2] ”

Whatever the exact series of events which took place at the Edgewater Inn, the Mudshark incident quickly became known and was representative of the general atmosphere of excess which permeated the early years of Led Zeppelin. According to Cole, "it was probably the most notorious off-stage incident ever associated with Led Zeppelin."

The incident was immortalized in the song "The Mud Shark" by Frank Zappa, recorded live during a Fillmore East gig in June 1971. It is featured on his album, Fillmore East - June 1971. A brief interview with the then manager of the Edgewater was released on the posthumous Zappa CD, Cheap Thrills in 1998. He won't commit to one way or another but he has clearly heard the rumors and admits it is possible.

[edit] References

^ Davis, Stephen (1985) Hammer of the Gods: The Led Zeppelin Saga, New York: William Morrow & Co., ISBN 0-688-04507-3.

^ Cole, Richard (1992) Stairway to Heaven: Led Zeppelin Uncensored, New York: HarperCollins, ISBN 0-06-018323-3.

I hate to be a buzzkill, but after In Thru The Out Door, I knew it was over for the Zep. I doubt they could even be as good as a tribute band now, and without Bonzo.....not Zep. (I don't care if it is his kid, it's not him). If you really need to hear some prime Zepplin, go put in Physical Grafitti and sit back.

just my thoughts....

If you really need to hear some prime Zepplin, go put in Physical Grafitti and sit back.

Completely agree! Three of my four favorite Zeppelin songs are on Physical Grafitti (Custard Pie, Kashmir, and Ten Years Gone [the fourth being All of My Love from In the Through the Out Door]).

I was born shortly after Bonham died, so I didn't get into Zeppelin until the early Ninties. I did manage to see Page & Plant in Vancouver, and that was okay, but JP Jones' presence was definitely missed. If I can make my way to this concert somehow, I'm going to do it.

BFD!

It's gonna be a sellout regardless of how good they sound and if they can re-create what was lost

:o

An estimated 20 million people rushed to register for tickets to see Led Zeppelin as soon as the band announced their reunion, promoters have said.

Source - BBC Entertainment section

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6992623.stm