Fitting A Suziki Engine Into A Mitsubishi

duratanium

I was shown a Thai 'log book' for a Mitsubishi 2 door 2.5 lit pick up and it showed the engine as a Suzuki.

Now, as I have never seen a red log book for a car before I was wondering -

1) can you fit a suzuki car engine into a Mitsubishi pick up without too many problems - if at all.

2) if, as I suspect they were trying it on when saying the engine had been replaced with a Suzuki or it was not the same log book as for the car on offer.

Edited by duratanium

This is Thailand mate, they can do anything here. I once stopped to look at an old MGA convertable and when the guy lifted the bonnet there was a Suzuki turbo diesel in it. Rather put me off but to the thais a diesel engine makes more sense. Make sure, if you can look at it that the mountings are good and not knocked up by his brother in law Somchai. Then drive it , if it feels OK go for it!! :o

Ahh, OK. Thanks.

I was doubtful though I know engines can be interchanged sometimes with modifications.

Skyline and supra engines being put into cefiros / bmw / volvo being a case in point!

Anyone driven a ceforo with a twin turbo engine? Was thinking about that, but would be worried about reliability and good service..

they can do almost anything here, i had a bmw e30 with atoyota 1 g engine and all was fine...but if its rear wheel drive you have to see if they put in the proper final drive ratio at the rear axle...shocks too..

Only rear wheel drive, in front wheel drive cars you'll get many problems with the drive shafts and mounts. Make sure all the dash board gauges work properly (speedo can be different), make sure there are no vibrations when you drive the car in high speed and on excelleration.

I fitted a Range Rover with a lexus V8 engine. The result was excellent. But sometime you need a lot of modifications and if Mister "Somchai" understand his job, than it's ok. But if the modifications are not professional done you will end in a nightmare.

I work in a Thai technical college where everything from electrics to plastic molding to hospitality is taught.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't trust a Thai with any major technical job. Their 'eye for detail' is more focused on how they dress, how they speak, how they behave, how good something looks & how much money they can make.

A point in case would be plonking (putting) a larger than specifically designed engine in a car. Eg the car originally had a 2.0 litre engine but the 'transplanted' engine is bigger than this. Has the drive train (gear box, drive shaft & axles) been upgraded to handle the extra power? Would a Thai notice this detail? Maybe in cases the Thai responsible would make the necessary adjustments but in most cases, I fear not.

I think that engine transplants are great IF the new engine is not significantly more powerful than the 'design' engine, otherwise look at also upgrading your drive train.