Bank Of Thailand

is there a new rule on bank accounts

I m in England and my Thai gf went into TMB Bank and was told need copy passport, as new rule from central Bank.

She may have got it wrong or misunderstood.

Just wanted to know if anyone heard anything?

I m in England and my Thai gf went into TMB Bank and was told need copy passport, as new rule from central Bank.

About what ? Be more specific.

What kind of bank operations ? Open an account, transfert money ?

However, I can already tell you that "It's because Bank of Thailand regulations" is a big hit among lazy thai "bankers" and other bank "employees" to dismiss whatever question or special operation.

:o

I'm not sure quite what you mean, Twix, but, as you will know, if you want to withdraw cash inside a bank you have to show ID. If they want to see a copy of your passport, then either the rules have changed or someone has got it wrong. Perhaps your girlfriend should try a different bank.

If you're in the UK you might consider opening for yourself a couple of Nationwide Flexaccounts. You can manage them and a savings account online. Send one debit card to your girlfriend with the strip on the rear obliterated and, when she's got it, tell her the PIN. Then you can transfer cash to that account from your other account and she's got it instantly with no charge. She could use it only in an ATM, of course.

gf told cannot transfer money in as passport expired and also told new rule from central bank. Sorry lack f detail and she may have it wrong or mixed up. I don't know from here (England).

I use Nationwide flex, but also have a TMB Bank account.

Thanks

gf told cannot transfer money in as passport expired and also told new rule from central bank. Sorry lack f detail and she may have it wrong or mixed up. I don't know from here (England).

Thanks

Who's passport Hers ? Yours ? :o

Naka.

Christ.... we try to give you some help... but please be clear. Let's sum'up :

-you are english, in england

-you send money from Nation flex to your TMB bank account in Thailand

-and then your gf tries to take this money, with a copy of your expired passport ???

-or she tries to send you money, with her expired passport ?

-TMB told her : can not because passport expired and new BOT regulation ?

Edited by cclub75

Thais are not required to have passports for any domestic purpose. They us ID cards for proof of identification.

There is some changes happen. My g/f try to open an account in my name in three different banks. She was told that I need a work permit. Last time I ask, they say I need a address or/and a renting contract. I am past 50 but working 4week on 4 weeks of. Go to Thailand on normal 30 days tourist visa. Any answer please?

harrymand.

Most Thai do not even have a passport - the national ID card is the accepted identification for anyone 15 years of age or older.

Bank branches have long said this and that when they don't want to open an account - you just go to the next and next branch until one agrees to open it.

If you are saying your GF was alone have never heard of any account being opened with the named holder present.

Most Thai do not even have a passport - the national ID card is the accepted identification for anyone 15 years of age or older.

Bank branches have long said this and that when they don't want to open an account - you just go to the next and next branch until one agrees to open it.

If you are saying your GF was alone have never heard of any account being opened with the named holder present.

First time, I was there my self. Second time, she was just asking. But to day I got a mail from Kasikornbank, and no WP needed. only passport.

she needs, in this order:

Her will to open an account;

her ID card;

100 baht to deposit;

That's all.

My passport. My account. Nothing to do with paying money to gf at all or to do with Nationwide.

The copy of my old passport they have expires in 4 months, so had thought it may be a factor, although it should not and I now know it is not an issue.

Simply, she went to pay money in for me from her account. She was told what I said previously. inexplicable as she just wanted to pay in 1,300 Baht cash.

Now, she has more information. She was told to go to the branch where I opened my account and they told her that the Bk of Thailand want more details on my account (after 6 years!). They say there were not enough details when account opened and Bk Thailand requesting info. I don't now specifics.

They did then let her pay in at this branch

I find it typical of Thailand to cause a problem that stops someone paying in to an open and live account at another branch in this way! Amazing!!

It does sound like Bk of Thailand are asking questions and this may be the new rule/law that she was told about, but it seems to be a clerical tidy up excersise and nothing of real substance in general......I hope so anyway, asI will find out in 3 weeks time.

She has told them to wait for me as I return in 3 weeks.

Sorry for lack of clarity earlier. I was not clear with enough info at the start.

Not a brick layer, actually a Merchant Banker, so explains why the markets are in such a mess. LOL

Edited by twix38