Farang Lobby

afrosau

There exists lobbies for practically everything in the U.S.A. Everything from jews for guns to the lobby for lobbyists. Why not create a lobby for foreign interests here in Thailand?

One thing we ex-pats enjoy is frustrating ourselves over all the little and big things we think could be improved in the countries we are staying in. It's not like anyone is going to grant us voting rights very soon, so lets exert our influence in other ways.

Any foreign business owner that is fed up with not being able to own his own company would have reason to support such a lobby. Any ex-pat that wants to own his own house would have reason to support such a lobby. Funding ought not be a problem. I am sure there exists plenty of competent people in the ex-pat community to lead such an effort as well.

A campaign would need to inform voters about the benefits of foreign investment, giving contributions to friendly political parties etc..

What are your thoughts? is there room for such a lobby in Thailand?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Better late then never.

:o

if the same laws in thailand were the same in our own country maybe most of us would'nt be here ,we open companies in thailand knowing the laws ,and we have to abide by them .................

I doubt that anyone comes here because we can't own land or own a company. I too appreciate that the laws need to be obeyed, but if we see room for improvement what is wrong in trying to express our views?

There exists lobbies for practically everything in the U.S.A. Everything from jews for guns to the lobby for lobbyists. Why not create a lobby for foreign interests here in Thailand?

One thing we ex-pats enjoy is frustrating ourselves over all the little and big things we think could be improved in the countries we are staying in. It's not like anyone is going to grant us voting rights very soon, so lets exert our influence in other ways.

Any foreign business owner that is fed up with not being able to own his own company would have reason to support such a lobby. Any ex-pat that wants to own his own house would have reason to support such a lobby. Funding ought not be a problem. I am sure there exists plenty of competent people in the ex-pat community to lead such an effort as well.

A campaign would need to inform voters about the benefits of foreign investment, giving contributions to friendly political parties etc..

Ah new to Thailand, or different social circles I guess, with a comment like you posted above.

You have many different forms of lobby groups, right now and the most public example (tv, radio, newspaper) is the FCCCC which your local chamber of commerce will belong to, designed to lobby exactly that the Royal Thai government, on behalf of you and your chamber of commerce. They even have a seat on the Board of Trade doing what you suggest above.

Have I seen it in person, yes.

It seems nearly every Nakon nowhere across the Kingdom also has an expat club with aims to do the same.

and dropping to the end of the list it every beer bar in country has it own experts who will do it for you, without the need to talk to anyone other than them.

I said to the wife 'yer stinkin' government won't allow me to stay here after I retire unless I have an income of USD1000 per month...'...her eyes narrowed and she grew claws so as to say 'ain't nobody gonna mess wid my man...'

tutsi is a puss as I have always admitted an' I hide behind the women...there will be a day when I shall become illegal under present legislation...but ain't nobody gonna separate me from my wife, house and family without a fight; I only have my wife's manner as a demonstration...

we all want to do it legal, but when the shit comes down those responsible better look out... :o:D:D

There exists lobbies for practically everything in the U.S.A.

Thailand is not the USA. You do not have free speach in Thailand.

Thus, we have a lot less loud mouthed idiots running round abusing it. The postings and websites from the USA are a disgrace, as are most news programms. I for one am sorry to see that garbage youtube back up and running here, the thia government should have seized any assets they may have here and arrested anybody employed by youtube whenever they turn up here for a holiday. Absolute scum of the earth to even think of defending their actions and the actions of the perpertrators.

We don't need the government to sort out scum that allow on youtube what they allowed on it. Anybody caught involved in that would take their chance with the police or government, as the population would tear them limb from limb. Good thing too.

We all need some constraints.... well apart from me as I am a well balanced, right all the time kind of guy.

And you supposed intelectuals would do well to learn some manners and humility. With freedom comes responsibility and that has always been in short supply in your part of the world.

Yes, i can already see myself being the new spokesperson for a gang of aging Pattaya sexpats in shorts, white socks and sandals... :o

Foreign population here in Thailand is extremely diverse, different countries, social backgrounds - no lobby possible.

And anyhow, the US may be working with such a lobby system, but many of us non-Americans (and more than a few Americans as well) believe that one of the worst aspects of US politics is the lobby system.

No, thank you, but definitely no.

Foreigners in Thailand who pack enough clout to give such a lobby any credibility have nothing to gain from it as they are already perfectly comfortable in their situation here.

Thus, we have a lot less loud mouthed idiots running round abusing it. The postings and websites from the USA are a disgrace, as are most news programms. I for one am sorry to see that garbage youtube back up and running here, the thia government should have seized any assets they may have here and arrested anybody employed by youtube whenever they turn up here for a holiday. Absolute scum of the earth to even think of defending their actions and the actions of the perpertrators.

We don't need the government to sort out scum that allow on youtube what they allowed on it. Anybody caught involved in that would take their chance with the police or government, as the population would tear them limb from limb. Good thing too.

We all need some constraints.... well apart from me as I am a well balanced, right all the time kind of guy.

And you supposed intelectuals would do well to learn some manners and humility. With freedom comes responsibility and that has always been in short supply in your part of the world.

A tad off the threads' topic, thinks me.

Now you have had your rant (and many of us agree, so do not take this the wrong way :o ) how about we keep on the topic in hand.

you got that one right...when I was in the US recently I kept the TV off as I could not believe the hatred of the tele-evangelists...some fat red-faced bastid pointing the finger and declaring that there are muslims out there that want to kill you and your family...

what does democracy represent when there is no other information??? Like most folks...americans go about their daily business and worry about what they're having for lunch...the responsibility that we speak of has to do with informing oneself before you cast yer vote...there is no information in the US...only blond, buxom news readers talking about local traffic accidents...the only international news was on PBS at 11 pm. Plenty of George Bush terrorizing with threats of terrorism...jesus...

I am an american and was raised in the best american tradition (little league, surfing, boy scouts, etc...) things were bad enough 25 years ago when I fled...now???...sheeeddd :o

when I was in the US recently

Guessed a much when you wrote above "I said to the wife 'yer stinkin' government won't allow me to stay here after I retire unless I have an income of USD1000 per month...'." Seems you have bad in both worlds, poor guy, chin up.

Put simply. Thais do not wish to hear ANY opinion from non-Thais. It does not matter if the idea is better or not. They are too caught up in pride and ignorance to listen.

A prime example is the recent debacle over the EU offering to aid a free and fair election here. It was reported to the public that the EU want to control Thailand, and from there they sink into false pride about having never being colonised. Any grasp of history would shake that free.

A pressure group from nasty evil farangs that only seek to control Thais and take over Thailand (yes! thats what they think) would be a waste of time and possibly counterproductive. If you ask for one thing they will give another. Yes! Thais are really that dumb.

Let me get this right - You want your freeedom to say what you want (example above) but you want to deny other people's rights to have their say - Because you don't like what they say.

I say get over yourself.

As for a Farang Lobby - I think the 'Farang Lobby' already exists.

There are thousands of westerners all over Thailand going about promoting the best intrests of Foreigners in Thailand in myrriads of different ways.

The vast majority of these people do so in the understanding that Thais and Thai society does not respond well to confrontation (not that confrontation does not have its part, but that more bees can be caught with honey than with vinigar.

So every single one of those good causes run by Farangs, every Farang making an effort to become involved in community service, every Farang eagerly sharing knowledge and skills with Thais is doing his/her part to promote the best intrests of Farangs in Thailand. Not just expats living here, but also Gap year kids volunteering during their vacation to help in social programs throughout Thailand.

Sadly the endless good work of many is too often wrecked by the scum of western societies that is increasingly finding its way to Thailand - too many beers too loud mouthed and in too much of a hurry to get into a fight.

And even if we did manage to convince our home governments to set a minimum standard of socialization for citizens being allowed a passport , we'd still have the peculiar problem in Thailand of Farangs who are willing to run down any suggestions of improving the lot of westerners in Thailand - Too eager to ingratiate themselves to what they believe is Thai opinion, they are only happy to attack any idea that might bring more rights to their fellow Farangs.

you got that one right...when I was in the US recently I kept the TV off as I could not believe the hatred of the tele-evangelists...some fat red-faced bastid pointing the finger and declaring that there are muslims out there that want to kill you and your family...

Well gosh, it sure makes me feel better now to know that there really aren't any muslims out there that want to kill me and my family! To think I've been worrying for nothing!

Well gosh, it sure makes me feel better now to know that there really aren't any muslims out there that want to kill me and my family! To think I've been worrying for nothing!

fat and red faced???...I could see you comin' a mile away pal...

This thread is a poster-child for why I shudder at the thought of being represented by most TV members in front of the Thai government.

No thanks. :D

an' yer bacon don't taste good either... :o

dr PP...this is like the old days...guns ablazin'...plachon an' boon, get yer asses down here...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

This thread is a poster-child for why I shudder at the thought of being represented by most TV members in front of the Thai government.

dr PP...this is like the old days...guns ablazin'...plachon an' boon, get yer asses down here...

Ladies and gentleman,

may I present: Exhibit A.

when I was in the US recently

Guessed a much when you wrote above "I said to the wife 'yer stinkin' government won't allow me to stay here after I retire unless I have an income of USD1000 per month...'." Seems you have bad in both worlds, poor guy, chin up.

'poor guy...' yer ass...anyone with the will to fight is not poor, by any definition... :o

so, yeah...there shall be hounds chasing a feeble diabetic thru the Suphan rice paddies, but they ain't takin' me alive...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

No thanks. ;)

an' yer bacon don't taste good either... :D

Ladies and gentleman,

Farang Lobby???..........No way :D ...........

I WANT A FARANG PARTYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!! :D:D:bah::bah:

I can't decide between the name "Farang love Farang" or "Farang steal Thai" :o

I vote myself in as Life President. :o

Policies? um, er......

1) Take Power;

2) Free Beer;

3) All Farang get given a Free house (a big one!);

4) All Farang get given a lifetime Visa on Arrival. 5 of them. each.

Any other ideas?

Ladies and gentleman,

exhibit what???...as in fat canadian ass?...this is an emotional issue that involves high emotion...don't pretend that it don't...I scaled Mt MacBeth (Coast Range, NE of Squamish) an I like Anderson Valley mature cheddar but canadians are wafflers and sum punk mountie took my beer one early morning in Prince George...('you think that red tunic makes you bad???...put up yer dukes!!!'...'hand over the beer or I'll let it outta ye in little round holes...'...chickenshit MF...)...from the mates 'let's get outta here tuts; there might be trouble ahead...' tutsi: what the <deleted> do you know??? yer from fcukin' New Jersey... :D:D:D

No thanks. :bah:

Ladies and gentleman,

exhibit what???...as in fat canadian ass?...this is an emotional issue that involves high emotion...don't pretend that it don't...I scaled Mt MacBeth (Coast Range, NE of Squamish) an I like Anderson Valley mature cheddar but canadians are wafflers and sum punk mountie took my beer one early morning in Prince George...('you think that red tunic makes you bad???...put up yer dukes!!!'...'hand over the beer or I'll let it outta ye in little round holes...'...chickenshit MF...)...from the mates 'let's get outta here tuts; there might be trouble ahead...' tutsi: what the <deleted> do you know??? yer from fcukin' New Jersey... :D:D:D

Cranky old git - show some humor, please!

That was a very funny comment! I still have to chuckle.

No thanks. :bah:

Ladies and gentleman,

Cranky old git - show some humor, please!

That was a very funny comment! I still have to chuckle.

I brought a smile to your face??? always willin' to entertain...but I ain't laughin' about my immigration status in Thailand...it's rocket launchers from the roof of the premises if they try to <deleted> wid me...

I brought a smile to your face??? always willin' to entertain...but I ain't laughin' about my immigration status in Thailand...it's rocket launchers from the roof of the premises if they try to <deleted> wid me...

Try to laugh about it - it's a world gone mad and there's <deleted> all we can do about it. As things are now, i can't even return to where i come from if i want to, which i have some thoughts about, because they introduced language tests for foreign spouses of citizens of my place, and there is very little hope that my wife would pass such a test.

If my immigration status here would change, which it always can, then i am truly and thoroughly fecked.