Tourists Trapped In Blazing Hotel

stumonster

0,,5641073,00.jpg

Tourists trapped in blazing hotel

By staff writers | September 05, 2007

TOURISTS were left scrambling from windows after a blaze ripped through a Bangkok hotel earlier today, injuring many of its residents.

The fire broke out on the second floor of the luxury Mandarin Hotel, in Bangkok’s Watana District, and spread to other floors where tourists were trapped in their rooms, the Nation online reported.

Source: The Australian

Gutted Mandarin Hotel on Rama IV Road

Fire broke out at The Mandarin Hotel on Rama IV Road in Bangkok, damaging the buidling and injuring many tourists. The Polish Embassy is located in Soi Sukhumvit 5 of Bangkok's Watana District

The incident took place at around midnigh when the blaze began on the second floor of the hotel's second building and spread to other floors where tourists were trapped. The hotel consists of two building - the first seven-storey building and the other 14 storey building. There are 372 buildings in total.

Source: The Nation

Edited by george

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a lot of the places I stay have sprinkler systems, but some don't. How old is this building? I would think a luxury hotel would have them.

Edit: Oh, I just checked room rates and it sounds more like a mid-range hotel.

Edited by Carmine6

The advantage of staying in a major brand hotel is that almost always, no matter what part of the world they are located in, the life safety quality will be of similar standard. Holiday Inn/Intercontinental , Starwood, Hilton, Sofitel, Swissotel, Marriott, Novotel, Amari etc. all have proper fire and smoke detection and appropriate exits.

Sometimes paying a bit more is worth it.

In "HOT NEWS" at nationmultimedia.com :

Fire at Mandarin Hotel under control

Fire that broke out at the Mandarin Hotel on Rama IV Road early Tuesday morning has been put under control at about 8pm.

Some 16 tourists were injured from inhaling smoke from the blaze.

Initial police investigation found that the blaze started from the seven-storey hotel's second floor where a fitness room is located.

Firefighters and rescue teams found difficulties in rescuing hundreds of tourists as the fire spread to other floors due to narrow fire exits.

Helicopters that rushed to the hotel helplessly flied over the hotel because the hotel which had two connected building had no landing area.

As the fire spread to other floors, many tourists were trapped inside the building. Many tourists were seen trying to jump from the tenth and eleventh floors. Firefighters had to calm them down and rushed rescue team to evacuate them down to the floor.

The hotel consists of two building - the first seven-storey building and the other 14 storey building. There are 372 rooms in total. The fire fighters checked room by room to make sure that there was no tourists trapped inside the rooms.

The fire damaged the building and the links between the building on the 7th and 8th floor were collapsed, making it difficult for rescue staff.

Many tourists said that the hotel's water sprinkles did not work when the fire broke out.was not equipped with water sprinkles to distinguish the blaze.

P.S. For 8pm, read 8 am, I think.

Edited by WaiWai

AOT chief resigns

Airports of Thailand (AOT) acting president Kulya Pakakrong has tendered her resignation amid reported pressure from higher-ups over continuing problems at Suvarnabhumi Airport. Published on September 5, 2007

See the full story on The Nation website.

And always go to sleep in your best PJ's.

Edited by WaiWai

I know a lot of the places I stay have sprinkler systems, but some don't. How old is this building? I would think a luxury hotel would have them.

I was one of the rescue workers there last night and as we worked our way up the building stairwells the lights went out and suprise NO emergency lighting!!!!!!!!!

The owners shold be jailed! OK many places don't have sprinkler systems but EMERGENCY LIGHTING!!!!!!!!!!

Its about time owners and the government were made accountable for BASIC SAFETY!!!!!!!!!!

I was so angry because people started screaming and were so scared when the lights went out! I feel so sorry for all those toursits involved last night! hel_l of an experience!

No lighting

No sprinklers

There was a few alarms in various places but not all floors or areas. We found come people still sleeping as we kicked in doors on the higher smoked filled floors. A few people taken to hospital with smoke inhalation and shock but pretty sure no-one died. I left there at 5am

Could have been so much worse. Good job by the fire brigade boys to get a very difficult and hidden fire under control through a very old and dangerous building!

well done with your efforts markokang , although the lack of sprinklers , lights etc. should surprise nobody.

hopefully this fire , and the lack of safety fallbacks at the hotel and the sub third world levels of checks and balances that allow deathtraps of all kinds (buses,boats,buildings,factories,trains etc.) to remain in public service , endangering the lives of tourists and thais alike. will be publicised widely , much to the chagrin of the image conscious authorities of thailand that promote this destination as a country of high standards.

Another fire broke out at Mandarin Hotel

A second round of fire broke out at the Mandarin Hotel after firefighters were able to put the flames under control this morning (September 5th). However, officials believed the fire would not spread violently.

The Mandarin Hotel went ablaze last night, but firefighters were able to smother the fire this morning. However, another fire broke out at 08:00 hours on the second floor of the hotel where the storage room is located. Nevertheless, the flames were not as intense as the fire last night, and firefighters believed they could prevent the fire from spreading to other areas.

Meanwhile, Thai and foreign tourists at the hotel are still alarmed of the incident, but firefighters already allowed some of them to check their belongings in their rooms. The hotel guests will be transferred to Tawana Ramada Hotel, and the Mandarin Hotel will take care of all their expenses.

Bangkok Governor Apirak Kosayodhin (อภิรักษ์ โกษะโยธิน) also traveled to the Mandarin Hotel to inspect the fire incident.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 05 September 2007

Certainly not a luxury hotel. I've stayed there several times, the last of which about four years ago and even then the hotel was looking very old and shabby.

SL.

It was a nice place in the late 60s. Pretty down at heel when I last stayed there in 96. Would be well past its use-by date now.

Fire injures 16 at Bangkok hotel

BANGKOK: -- Sixteen people, including 14 foreigners, were injured in the fire at Mandarin Hotel on busy Rama IV Road between Hualumpong Railway Station and Sam Yan intersection on Tuesday night.

According to the Narenthorn Centre, the emergency EMS centre of the Ministry of Public Health, 16 persons were injured in the incident. Eight persons, all foreigners, remain in hospital and eight others, including six foreign tourists, were discharged after treatment.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has declared the area as a danger area and outsiders may not enter without official permission.

Tuesday night's fire broke out in the hotel's second-floor kitchen, which is under renovation. The facility has 14 storeys.

Fire fighters worked about three hours to put out the flame.

Bangkok Deputy Governor Wallop Suwandee said the cost of damage is estimated at more than Bt100 million.

Officials from the Department of Public Works and Town & Country Planning have inspected cracks and damage to the structure to determine if it needs to be closed and torn down, or if it can be renovated.

--TNA 2007-09-05

Bangkok hotel fire which injures 16 guests had no water sprinkler safety system

BANGKOK, Thailand: A fire in a popular Bangkok hotel injured 16 people and took three hours to extinguish because the 30-year-old building had no water sprinkler system, a police official said Wednesday.

The blaze broke out shortly after midnight in a second-floor room of the downtown Mandarin Hotel, forcing hundreds of guests to flee, said police Lt. Col. Chakarin Panthong.

Sixteen people — all foreign tourists — suffered smoke inhalation and were hospitalized, he said. About 400 other guests were evacuated safely.

Police were investigating the cause of the fire, but initial investigations showed a short-circuit was responsible.

The fire took so long to put out because there was no sprinkler system in the 30-year-old hotel, said Chakarin.

Some guests criticized hotel management for the way it handled the emergency.

Danish tourist Martin Andersen, 27, from Copenhagen, said there was no fire alarm. His girlfriend Gitte Christensen, 27, called the situation "chaotic."

"This has been handled very, very badly in my opinion. There is just nobody in charge," said George Adigun, 39, a commodity consultant from London. "There is no evacuation point. No one from the hotel has come out to tell us what is happening."

Mandarin Hotel management could not be immediately reached to comment.

The Stock Exchange of Thailand halted trading in shares of Mandarin Hotel PCL after the incident, and said trading won't resume until the company has disclosed the cost of the damage and the impact on earnings.

- Associated Press

As I have an apartment that I use in BKK, my hotel usage is limited except for holidays outside BKK. However what this does raise is the question of (a) fire regs in Thailand and (:o their enforcement. Are there regular inspections? If yes, by whom and how often (and are the reports then public docs)? If no inspections, what is the point of having regulations!?!

A second round of fire broke out at the Mandarin Hotel after firefighters were able to put the flames under control this morning (September 5th). However, officials believed the fire would not spread violently.

The Mandarin Hotel went ablaze last night, but firefighters were able to smother the fire this morning. However, another fire broke out at 08:00 hours on the second floor of the hotel where the storage room is located. Nevertheless, the flames were not as intense as the fire last night, and firefighters believed they could prevent the fire from spreading to other areas.

Meanwhile, Thai and foreign tourists at the hotel are still alarmed of the incident, but firefighters already allowed some of them to check their belongings in their rooms. The hotel guests will be transferred to Tawana Ramada Hotel, and the Mandarin Hotel will take care of all their expenses.

Bangkok Governor Apirak Kosayodhin (อภิรักษ์ โกษะโยธิน) also traveled to the Mandarin Hotel to inspect the fire incident.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 05 September 2007

I certainly wish well for all those involved, but I'm astounded how bad the English grammar is on these Nation accounts of the fire. Truly appalling the state of English editing for the on-line version.

With poor (no) building code enforcement, reliance on cheap unskilled labour and a desire to make money over all else its really surprising there aren't more fires and fatalities.

Remember reading an account by an English electrician about his internal debate to use the hot water heater after reading the warning on the unit. Very funny, but he decided to go cold shower after inspecting the work.

Some guests criticized hotel management for the way it handled the emergency.

Danish tourist Martin Andersen, 27, from Copenhagen, said there was no fire alarm. His girlfriend Gitte Christensen, 27, called the situation "chaotic."

"This has been handled very, very badly in my opinion. There is just nobody in charge," said George Adigun, 39, a commodity consultant from London. "There is no evacuation point. No one from the hotel has come out to tell us what is happening."

Mandarin Hotel management could not be immediately reached to comment.

The Stock Exchange of Thailand halted trading in shares of Mandarin Hotel PCL after the incident, and said trading won't resume until the company has disclosed the cost of the damage and the impact on earnings.

- Associated Press

--------------------

'Unforgettable Thailand' is the new tourism slogan for 2007

The Thai tourism industry will have a new ad campaign tagline, 'Unforgettable Thailand', that will "focus on delivering an unforgettable experience to visitors," said TAT Governor Siriwan.

A very apt juxtaposition in srirachajohn's post.

Let's hope this incident can provoke some improvements.

Are there regular inspections? If yes, by whom and how often (and are the reports then public docs)? If no inspections, what is the point of having regulations!?!

How long have you been in Thailand? TIT, my friend. Chances are there are no inspections, and if there are inspections, they mainly serve to prop up the income of the inspectors.

This is not bashing Thailand, it's just the reality here. Thailand is a great county to live in but it's a long, hard road to first world status.

And I really want to say this: Good job fire-fighters for getting everyone out alive! That's fantastic.

..at least 20 years old.. I stayed there about 18 years ago when we were aircrew......

Hotels and appartments are different requirements...hotels are checked yearly when they re-new their operational licence. HOtels MUST have fire alarms by law, plus sprinklers/heat detectors etc etc. Any responsible tour operator from Europe ( l come for Europe so can only advise from there) would check all this out before allowing their guests to stay there! If not, tour operators are liable for damages to if they use unsafe hotels !!! Some responsible tour operators will bring UK Fire Brigade personnel (at the tour operators cost) to Thailand to check prior to allowing guests check in !!

For appartment blocks, the law is different, hence so many new boutique serviced appartments etc....Anyone who owns an appartment good idea to check local regulations !! check fire doors also to make sure that they do lead to an OPEN area at their end !!! Some doors are locked l bet !!!

As I have an apartment that I use in BKK, my hotel usage is limited except for holidays outside BKK. However what this does raise is the question of (a) fire regs in Thailand and (:o their enforcement. Are there regular inspections? If yes, by whom and how often (and are the reports then public docs)? If no inspections, what is the point of having regulations!?!

Are there regular inspections? If yes, by whom and how often (and are the reports then public docs)? If no inspections, what is the point of having regulations!?!

How long have you been in Thailand? TIT, my friend. Chances are there are no inspections, and if there are inspections, they mainly serve to prop up the income of the inspectors.

This is not bashing Thailand, it's just the reality here. Thailand is a great county to live in but it's a long, hard road to first world status.

And I really want to say this: Good job fire-fighters for getting everyone out alive! That's fantastic.

Fully agreed.

Inspection means I am thirsty and I want to drink tea.

BMA asks Thai Hotels Association to reinforce safety measures in old hotels

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) will coordinate with the Thai Hotels Association in boosting safety measures in old hotels.

Following the fire incident at the Mandarin Hotel in Bangkok, Bangkok Governor Apirak Kosayodhin (อภิรักษ์ โกษะโยธิน) says he will have a meeting with the President of the Thai Hotels Association in order to ask for cooperation from hotel operators to upgrade safety measures, especially in old hotels. He says their warning systems may not be complete.

Meanwhile, public works and district officers are inspecting the cause of fire at the Mandarin Hotel, and are cooperating with the Engineering Institute of Thailand in examining the condition of the building. 16 foreign tourists have been injured from the fire at the Mandarin Hotel, and they are now being treated in the hospitals.

Mrs. Piengjai Harnpanit (เพียงใจ หาญพานิชย์), the Mandarin Hotel owner, says she has coordinated with the Tawana Ramada Hotel in accommodating the tourists who have been affected by the fire incident. At the same time, the BMA is coordinating with foreign embassies to Thailand to help take care of foreign tourists.